• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 1st Gundam: Reconguista in G Compilation Film Opens in Fall

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:39 am Reply with quote
In the past, compilation films used to be trilogies. The 3-cour original Gundam had 3. The 4-cour Zeta Gundam had 3. The special editions of the 4-cour SEED and SEED Destiny had 3. Now the 2-cour G-Reco gets FIVE?

NOW you have my interest. Very Happy

Last edited by BlueAlf on Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Kicksville

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:52 am Reply with quote
Very, very interesting how this is five movies instead of just one to three - makes it pretty apparent how serious they are about presenting the story in a definitive way. I know I ended up liking the series more than most, so I do wonder how well this'll grab anyone who didn't like it before, or who aren't familiar with it to begin with.

It's to be expected that animation will be touched up, but the little I've seen from this so far is looking quite impressive, especially considering how good it already looked for a TV series.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:00 am Reply with quote
BlueAlf wrote:
In the past, compilation films used to trilogies. The 3-cour original Gundam had 3. The 4-cour Zeta Gundam had 3. The special editions of the 4-cour SEED and SEED Destiny had 3. Now the 2-cour G-Reco gets FIVE?

Zeta Gundam's movies were only 90 minutes long, too. Tomino cut out huge swaths of the story. It's almost like this is to compensate, as now there are 5 movies for a much shorter series.

I love Tomino, but the man has no sense of proportion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DopeyDragon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:02 am Reply with quote
Either Tomino is a literal madman (quite possible) or he REALLY wants to expand on G-Reco.
#alfrescoCR

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:06 am Reply with quote
Probably lots of new content that retcons the TV version, for the better. Welp ethier way, still gonna catch em all.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:44 am Reply with quote
5 films, FIVE !?! At least 3/4 of the content will be retained with that runtime. That is a big brain move only Tomino could do. Why are we doing this again? Can´t we reintroduce Turn or V to new viewers instead?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:04 am Reply with quote
Tomino really, REALLY wants to make G-Reco work, by hook or by crook.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:06 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
5 films, FIVE !?! At least 3/4 of the content will be retained with that runtime. That is a big brain move only Tomino could do. Why are we doing this again? Can´t we reintroduce Turn or V to new viewers instead?

Turn is too weird and V? I don't think we need another downbeat Gundam series after Iron Blooded Orphans.
Nyren

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:10 pm Reply with quote
BlueAlf wrote:
In the past, compilation films used to be trilogies. The 3-cour original Gundam had 3. The 4-cour Zeta Gundam had 3. The special editions of the 4-cour SEED and SEED Destiny had 3. Now the 2-cour G-Reco gets FIVE?

Slight correction, not a big deal, but while SEED was three films(Which many thought was not enough as it condensed way too much.), SEED Destiny was four films, and arguably turned out better for it as a result.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:42 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:

I hope they don't retain 3/4 of the content because that would mean he isn't fixing anything, and the first several movies will be nothing but meandering around.

Turn-A has compilation movies.
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:05 pm Reply with quote
I didn't like this series the first time around so hard pass for me. I might watch the final movie to see if there is anything different from the TV ending.
Oby

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Meh, the only notable things from G-Reco (for not being a trainwreck) are the visuals, sound, mecha design & crazy battles. So....sure, I'll watch the compilation movies for those, but I definitely have rock-bottom expectation when it comes to the narrative execution and the character exploration & development knowing how much the series botched those aspects. The characters don't even talk & act like human beings in the show. It's like I'm watching aliens in human skins. Heck, the Gamilas & Zentraedi aliens from Yamato & Macross act much more human than the characters in G-Reco.
#alfrescoCR

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:20 am Reply with quote
Oby wrote:
Meh, the only notable things from G-Reco (for not being a trainwreck) are the visuals, sound, mecha design & crazy battles. So....sure, I'll watch the compilation movies for those, but I definitely have rock-bottom expectation when it comes to the narrative execution and the character exploration & development knowing how much the series botched those aspects. The characters don't even talk & act like human beings in the show. It's like I'm watching aliens in human skins. Heck, the Gamilas & Zentraedi aliens from Yamato & Macross act much more human than the characters in G-Reco.

Maybe you're just taking the show seriously. The series itself was a downright sci-fi, slice of life comedy where the characters act dumb and cool and stupid with lots of humorous scenarios since it was a comedy show. It just happened that it has a Gundam on it.
Oby

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:37 am Reply with quote
#alfrescoCR wrote:
Oby wrote:

Maybe you're just taking the show seriously. The series itself was a downright sci-fi, slice of life comedy where the characters act dumb and cool and stupid with lots of humorous scenarios since it was a comedy show. It just happened that it has a Gundam on it.

First, G-Reco is not a comedy show. It has some comedic elements like many other Tomino shows, yes, but it's not comedy. Tomino himself never consider G-Reco an outright comedy so I don't know where do you even get that strange conclusion. Just like Macross & Yamato, G-Reco is a sci-fi show where people are at war with each other and characters die left and right. Aida even spent a good number of episodes mourning the lost of that guy who got killed and being gloomy about it. Yeah, some comedy. Your defense sounds desperate.

Second, even if I humor you and consider G-Reco a comedy show, the narrative still needs to be comprehensible and the characters should at least be understandable (if not relatable). Alas, G-Reco failed those two aspects spectacularly. Tomino himself apologized publicly for what he has done with the show. Here's hoping that he at least improves things in the compilation movies.
traveling

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:43 pm Reply with quote
I couldn't even make it halfway through the TV series. What are the chances that 5 movies will be more digestible? It looked nice to watch, but it wasn't enjoyable at all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1