• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kyoto Animation Issues Statement About July 18 Fire

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:48 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
They should consider renaming themselves a bit as they already need a severe restructure. Kyoani for example. My mind always drifts off when I hear Porsche 911 or see one in a game and it will be the same here.

Even with this tragedy hearing the words Kyoto Animation still evokes wonderful anime productions and memories for me. I don't see a need to change the name.
Niyari

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Reading that statement while this game (Sakura Moyu) had some sad BGM playing wasn't a good idea. I got a bit teary eyed lol. So happy they're going to persevere through this.
nDroae

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Guspaz wrote:
Dylan Thomas wrote:
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Independence Day (ID4) wrote:
We will not go quietly into the night!
We will not vanish without a fight!

KyoAni wrote:
we will not go quietly into the night...
we will not vanish without a fight!

I suppose it's possible that the intent was to quote Dylan Thomas, or that ID4 is believed to be a western classic, such that the reference would resonate with western readers.

But rather than that, I'd like to think Hatta-san is actually a fan of ID4. It would appear that many Japanese do enjoy over-the-top jingoistic American media. Japan's From Software made their own version of it in Metal Wolf Chaos, in which America's President Wilson pilots a mech to save the world, much like ID4's President Whitmore piloting a plane.
https://www.destructoid.com/from-software-reflects-on-metal-wolf-chaos-its-american-mecha-fever-dream-557798.phtml

Producer Masanori Takeuchi:
Quote:
It is America as perceived by the Japanese. It's completely fictional, but at the time, it was our idea of this ideology of American culture and comic book heroes, and we pieced that together and it became the president piloting the mech. We think that when Japanese look at it that way, from the American point of view, it's almost like how they imagine a Japanese ninja, and sort of the same ideologies, the same kind of fantasy, so it goes two ways.

Regardless of the intent behind the ID4 quote, I approve of choosing the "wrong" media works as personal touchstones, sources of inspiration and so on. I just had this exchange four weeks ago:

A friend: "Chuunibyou: this character is blatant otaku pandering and I actually hate her"
nDroae: "Chuunibyou is the most relatable anime I've ever seen, I guess it's meant to be an otaku thing but for me it was about growing up with a head full of Disney / Tolkien & Lewis / Star Wars, etc."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2