• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo Will Replace Byleth Voice Actor Chris Niosi in Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Fire Emblem

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Riotpomp

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Couple of typos in the article. Byleth is written as “Blythe” a couple times, and Reigen from Mob Psycho is written as “Reigan”.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:28 pm Reply with quote
I've watched many hours of streams, and I've never heard the main character say more than a single line of dialogue, which I heard after they changed class (I think).
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Riotpomp wrote:
Couple of typos in the article. Byleth is written as “Blythe” a couple times, and Reigen from Mob Psycho is written as “Reigan”.

Corrected, thank you!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:14 pm Reply with quote
I was already surprised he'd been replaced by Aguilar in Heroes, I never expected Nintendo to full Christopher Plummer with him. Considering the amount of "Yikes!" with the whole thing, it's for the best.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:29 pm Reply with quote
He apparently broke the Nintendo nondisclosure agreement by bragging to a friend on Discord that he was voicing a character who’d one day could be in Smash.

Well that is embarrassing.

Chris now has the dubious honor of being replaced by another actor the fastest.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:
He apparently broke the Nintendo nondisclosure agreement by bragging to a friend on Discord that he was voicing a character who’d one day could be in Smash.

Well that is embarrassing.

Chris now has the dubious honor of being replaced by another actor the fastest.

Nintendo previously fired Chris Pranger back in 2015 after he did a podcast interview with someone and spilled the beans on how their entire localization process works and why games like Captain Rainbow and Xenoblade don't get localized in the US. Most companies don't care for their internal methods or information being leaked.
Galap

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:43 pm Reply with quote
While I can understand why they wouldn't want to work with him in the future, I gotta say that retroactively removing him from things he already did is kind of silly.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:03 am Reply with quote
This is so much easier when they just come clean.

At the very least, I’m glad that Chris had the decency to properly apologise. When I look at someone like Vic and see the distress he’s still causing his victims a whole 6 months after he got in trouble, I can’t help but appreciate the fact that they managed to quickly put this issue to bed even if what he did isn’t exactly forgivable.

Whatever consequences are coming his way, he probably deserves them. But if he can face those consequences head on I doubt this will be a full scale industry wide blacklisting like Vic got.
Uraraka

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:12 am Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
While I can understand why they wouldn't want to work with him in the future, I gotta say that retroactively removing him from things he already did is kind of silly.

I see your point that every time someone do something wrong and going back to change them is too much Shocked. However, Fire Emblem Three Houses as an IP is ongoing as it will have DLCs, tie-up with its franchise phone game FE Heroes, most likely collaboration with Smash Bros., possibly anime adaptation and so on. I think if Nintendo as well as its fans and their parents desire to replace the voice actor Chris Niosi who admittedly sexually assaulted his ex-girlfriend, now is a good time to do so (the game is just out yesterday and can easily be patched) before it will be too late to do it. Cool
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Uraraka wrote:

I see your point that every time someone do something wrong and going back to change them is too much Shocked. However, Fire Emblem Three Houses as an IP is ongoing as it will have DLCs, tie-up with its franchise phone game FE Heroes, most likely collaboration with Smash Bros., possibly anime adaptation and so on. I think if Nintendo as well as its fans and their parents desire to replace the voice actor Chris Niosi who admittedly sexually assaulted his ex-girlfriend, now is a good time to do so (the game is just out yesterday and can easily be patched) before it will be too late to do it. Cool

I just consider it karma considering one of the women abused happens to be a HUGE Fire Emblem fan. Niosi is just a contractor and considering how he broke contracts it's Nintendo's right to scrub him from the game if they so please. And then there's the moral point of it with Nintendo basically saying "We will not tolerate this" which is how companies SHOULD be when it comes to people who have been outed as toxic.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Not really a fan of removing performances from published media (Judgment's case still annoys) but oh well.

Also not really sure about the justification being an NDA violation. That doesn't seem like a big deal, and if Nintendo is gonna blacklist a performer, I'd rather they do it explicitly for the person being a shitty human being.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:
Also not really sure about the justification being an NDA violation. That doesn't seem like a big deal, and if Nintendo is gonna blacklist a performer, I'd rather they do it explicitly for the person being a shitty human being.

The NDA thing is the only recent thing though. People have been accusing Kirbopher of stuff for at least 5 years now. Certainly these companies knew of this stuff when they hired him. Otherwise this is just proof you should never apologize or admit to accusation.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:31 pm Reply with quote
It's fine if the actor is not engaged in future works, but removing them completely from a product that already released is something I'm against. Imagine if hundreds of movies that long since released went back and got new actors to replace someone in the original cast who had controversial public mess ups etc...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1