• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: The Mignogna Deposition

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:20 am Reply with quote
I don't think people realise that these kind of grifts can only sustain a person for so long.

Considering the guy has to resort to organising mall autograph sessions, I doubt that his current gig is paying the bills even with all the madness going on. He was allowed to finish up a few projects but he hasn't gotten a single new role this year and his convention calendar is less than half of last year's (Even taking into account all the cons that have recently invited him). He's coy about whether or not he'll even accept the Go Fund Me money. But assuming he does, I can't see much left over unless he wins his case. That's a very big *if* though.

Even thinking objectively, I can't see how he could nail any of them. The evidence against Vic establishes a clear pattern of behaviour that covers everything from the harassment to his using this case as a method of intimidating his victims. His own evidence only really establishes that the people he's suing don't like him and are thankful that he's being punished. Even putting aside that there are countless reasons why someone could feel that way, I don't think what he's brought forward even comes close to proving the serious level of misconduct he's alleging.
Valjean Lafitte

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:14 am Reply with quote
Anthony.P wrote:

Quote:
An appeal to emotion is a specific type of fallacy in which one manipulates another's emotions to win an argument. Emotional appeals do not rely on facts or evidence; rather, they rely on playing on emotions.

That's...in line with Vic supporters pretending testimonies aren't evidence or suspecting the relevant affidavits may've been lies/faulty recollections despite that, y'know, they follow the same pattern as dozens of other women across the country with three decades' worth of allegations. It's the basic test of critical thinking they purposely fail again and again not for the sake of being right, but the goal of winning.

Appealing to emotion =/= being emotional. They are not mutually exclusive to each other.
No matter if you pretend that this...
Quote:
When you're not only accusing the other side of fishing for emotions when the primary instigators behind the lawsuit peddle outright misogyny for the sake of outrage, but under the guise of the tired, discussion-discouraging "wait for the courts to decide!" rhetoric all the while conveniently ignoring Beard and co.'s constant fumbling, at best it's evident you're not approaching this subject in decent faith.

...is what you meant all along, your original post made the claim fact that the #standwithvic crowd were the only ones “getting emotional”, and then you even accused the other poster of projecting, if he were appealing to emotions. But appealing to one’s emotions and BEING emotional are two different things!
Aresef

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:45 am Reply with quote
At this point, why some people continue to defend this subhuman is beyond me. All the accounts, all the affidavits, the web of stories going back 30 years... this guy is a pest and has been for a long time. He owes you nothing. Just because he was a decent Edward Elric doesn’t mean he’s a decent man. His godliness or whatever, that was all just a facade, a front as he took advantage of the meager celebrity status afforded him.
7jaws7

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:39 am Reply with quote
Just read the Tekkoshocon article. The bit about Vic and the three girls together in his hotel room was particularly disturbing; I don’t care if he really didn’t do anything inappropriate, that is a situation no grown man should EVER find himself in.
Anthony.P

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:56 am Reply with quote
Valjean Lafitte wrote:
Appealing to emotion =/= being emotional. They are not mutually exclusive to each other.

I'll concede to this, as well as "projection" being the wrong word. Regardless, I still fail to see how the original post subscribes to this when it's pointing out damning testimony that the user pretends they're worthless despite them and other evidence from Monica/Ron's TCPA match up with the allegations (for example, his time at Lynchburg Academy). Again, they've completely failed to attribute hearsay, let alone connect defamation to FUNi and co.

Quite frankly, yes, you're deluded if you dismiss an abundance of testimonies as potential lies. It's a bad-faith argument from top to bottom.

Aresef wrote:
At this point, why some people continue to defend this subhuman is beyond me. All the accounts, all the affidavits, the web of stories going back 30 years... this guy is a pest and has been for a long time. He owes you nothing. Just because he was a decent Edward Elric doesn’t mean he’s a decent man. His godliness or whatever, that was all just a facade, a front as he took advantage of the meager celebrity status afforded him.

Not to mention he already admitted he doesn't care if the GoFundMe was a scam, so...y'know.
OtakunX

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:57 am Reply with quote
ANN has close ties to people who have pushed proven lies against Vic and continue to lie on Twitter about the case and yet people are still on here pushing that there is literally no chance of civil conspiracy and think Vic "fans" are only defending him cause they like his voice in a few shows while they defend people who have been proven to provide false evidence and lies ... sorry, even if Vic doesn't win, which I doubt he will, the people on the pro kick vic side are horrible people who are willing to do whatever it takes to prove they are right even if it means lying.
yurigasaki

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:11 am Reply with quote
OtakunX wrote:
ANN has close ties to people who have pushed proven lies against Vic and continue to lie on Twitter about the case

I would be DELIGHTED to see you post proof.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:11 am Reply with quote
Uhm.

It's weird that people are bugging about emotions being an issue in "bad judgement" when Vic has at least appeared twice on video crying (the panel) and in his disposition, and I saw the comments, which fueled more anger against his victims. And they still called the victims "liars that only want to ruin his career. "

When you still have his "fans" still going around and still bothering monica and his victims for "the truth", asking about video recordings as proof (hey, I mentioned in a thread a while ago that this is impossible, and quite unreasonable because no one just flips out a phone like that).

And when people keep saying "False evidence" without a way to back up THEIR reasoning for it other than "hearsay." I dunno. There are fans that refuse to believe, or there are people who are just jumping on and don't know who anyone is and decided that they want to side with him.

(u_u);; this is why we leave law to the people who are in law.

Last edited by tygerchickchibi on Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:52 am Reply with quote
7jaws7 wrote:
Just read the Tekkoshocon article. The bit about Vic and the three girls together in his hotel room was particularly disturbing; I don’t care if he really didn’t do anything inappropriate, that is a situation no grown man should EVER find himself in.

Exactly. It doesn't matter if he was doing anything wrong or not; this is just begging to be interpreted in the worst possible way. It's the kind of thing that many organizations which regularly deal with teenagers warn volunteers/employees about in training.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:58 am Reply with quote
OtakunX wrote:
ANN has close ties to people who have pushed proven lies against Vic and continue to lie on Twitter about the case and yet people are still on here pushing

What are you talking about?

1) What Proven Lies ?
2) Who are you talking about?
3) What do you consider ties?

The only ties ANN has to anyone involved in this case, in order of diminishing importance:

1 - Funimation is an advertising customer of ANN.
2 - Monica Rial works in the same industry and we've met her at conventions; Some of our staff are Facebook friends with her. We've interviewed her (we've also interviewed Mignogna). We have no business ties with her.
2b - Ronald Toye - I don't think anyone at ANN has ever met him. We've certainly never done business with him. I don't think I had ever even heard of him until he was named in the lawsuit.
3 - Jamie Marchi works in the same industry. I've never met her, but maybe someone else at ANN has. TBH, I'd never even heard her name before this. To the best of my knowledge, we've never interviewed her. We have no business ties with her.

The people on Twitter, most of them we'd never even heard of before this. I don't know who exactly you're lumping in with this, so I can't address specific allegations till you make specific allegations. Give me names and I'll refute and/or clarify our relationship with those people. Till then, you're just casting vague, unsubstantiated aspersions.

-t
Anthony.P

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:00 am Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
Uhm.

It's weird that people are bugging about emotions being an issue in "bad judgement" when Vic has at least appeared twice on video crying (the panel) and in his disposition, and I saw the comments, which fueled more anger against his victims. And they still called the victims "liars that only want to ruin his career. "

When you still have his "fans" still going around and still bothering monica and his victims for "the truth", asking about video recordings as proof (hey, I mentioned in a thread a while ago that this is impossible, and quite unreasonable because no one just flips out a phone like that).

And when people keep saying "False evidence" without a way to back up THEIR reasoning for it other than "hearsay." I dunno. There are fans that refuse to believe, or there are people who are just jumping on and don't know who anyone is and decided that they want to side with him.

But this is why they're on the internet and don't have a career in law.

Eeeyup. I can't even count how many times I've seen people point to his tears as proof of his innocence. ("Look at how sad he is! They ruined his career!")
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:26 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
7jaws7 wrote:

Exactly. It doesn't matter if he was doing anything wrong or not; this is just begging to be interpreted in the worst possible way. It's the kind of thing that many organizations which regularly deal with teenagers warn volunteers/employees about in training.

He is VERY lucky that the parents didn't press charges.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:32 am Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
OtakunX wrote:
ANN has close ties to people who have pushed proven lies against Vic and continue to lie on Twitter about the case and yet people are still on here pushing

What are you talking about?

He probably saw the chart that was going around Twitter supposedly showing the web of connections between people in "Kick Vic". It was like one ANN writer once worked with the io9 writer who covered the story, thereby proving they're all in the same network.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:42 am Reply with quote
o_o; wow.

How ironic. I really don't get this way of thinking. It's starting to go to that saying, "Do as I say, not as I do."

So someone made a chart and people ate it up like their last meal?
Aresef

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:45 am Reply with quote
OtakunX wrote:
ANN has close ties to people who have pushed proven lies against Vic and continue to lie on Twitter about the case and yet people are still on here pushing that there is literally no chance of civil conspiracy and think Vic "fans" are only defending him cause they like his voice in a few shows while they defend people who have been proven to provide false evidence and lies ... sorry, even if Vic doesn't win, which I doubt he will, the people on the pro kick vic side are horrible people who are willing to do whatever it takes to prove they are right even if it means lying.

Just because you don't want to believe them doesn't mean they're proven lies
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 12