• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: The Mignogna Deposition

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tee2330

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:18 pm Reply with quote
I like to look at both sides of the story for these things, I watch a bunch of videos by the yellow flash person after haring some of the claims against Vic. I don't know if that would make me biased but I'm not really a fan of voice actors.

I tend to not even know the names of most voice actors so i can separate the people from the voice incase they're bad in real life, I must say Vic seems to be a voice actor that treats his fans very well, much better than some other voice actors who badmouth anyone on Vic's side.

I've heard of people getting their careers and lives ruined because of false accusations, later they were proven false but the damage had been done and i always hated the people who ruined the guys life, so it feels like I'm seeing a case like that unfold before my eyes once again, because there's no way people would lie about being assaulted to get attention right?

Anyways he seems like a stand up guy from what I've seen and the fans are the one's who set up the GoFundMe, incase anyone was unclear on that. Most of the fans pushed for Vic to start the lawsuit and he says it's the only way to clear his name so he's not fighting for money but his reputation, and if the accusations are false or blown out of portion on purpose to get him fired I'll root for the underdog until there's undefinable proof that he did something unforgivable.

I've read all the comments and most of this convo is one sided but there are some people with doubts, watch some of the videos from the fans and see the prospective of the other-side, because if you believe one side of the story you might never find the whole truth, I've also heard that some or alot of the claims against Vic have been proven false.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:37 pm Reply with quote
tee2330 wrote:

Anyways he seems like a stand up guy from what I've seen and the fans are the one's who set up the GoFundMe, incase anyone was unclear on that. Most of the fans pushed for Vic to start the lawsuit and he says it's the only way to clear his name so he's not fighting for money but his reputation, and if the accusations are false or blown out of portion on purpose to get him fired I'll root for the underdog until there's undefinable proof that he did something unforgivable.

You cannot sue someone simply because you don't like the words they are saying. Lawsuits get dismissed on those grounds all the time. Not only that, but Vic is a public figure which makes winning a defamation case even harder.

In places like Texas, and various other states, they have passed anti-slapp laws which are designed to prevent people with money from abusing the civil court system in order to financially punish people with less money.

If a group of people handed Vic a bag of cash and said "go sue those mean people," Vic will only have himself to blame once the cases against all four defendants is dismissed.

Because after a dismissal, or even if the jury verdict is in the defendants favor, Vic will be stuck paying the legal expenses for all the defendants.

Is that really preferable to taking time off from the anime convention scene? Are Vic's fans so blind that they don't consider the worst case scenario and what it would do to Vic's life let alone his finances?
SyranoGravely

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:21 pm Reply with quote
So the affidavits are out from the twins Vic propositioned and sexually assaulted:

CW: The descriptions therein may be upsetting for some readers.

https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/status/1156255760743108608?s=19
Aresef

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:37 pm Reply with quote
SyranoGravely wrote:
So the affidavits are out from the twins Vic propositioned and sexually assaulted:

I'm gonna vom
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:25 pm Reply with quote
SyranoGravely wrote:

That is one big ol' YIKES from me.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:38 pm Reply with quote
SyranoGravely wrote:

This guy just keeps getting worse and worse
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:53 pm Reply with quote
GrayArchon wrote:
For things that should be simple they take a few weeks at best.

An assumption on your part (one that bears no relationship to reality) that you deliberately treat as truth to cast aspersions on the defendants.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:00 pm Reply with quote
The Funimation Investigation section is updated with additional information provided in today's legal filings.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:10 pm Reply with quote
tee2330 wrote:
undefinable proof that he did something unforgivable.

Most of the allegations are not about "unforgivable" conduct, but rather inappropriate conduct (many would argue that some of the allegations are of exceptionally inappropriate and certainly some would say unforgivable behavior). There's such a significant amount of it that it implies a pattern of behavior. Most of the allegations aren't about criminal behavior (or could be seen as technically criminal, but aren't prosecutable), but rather just inappropriate for the workplace, and inappropriate for a person of his position and stature to be engaging in at conventions.

Regarding "undefinable proof," it's an amusing coincidence that you accidentally used the word "undefinable" when you meant "irrefutable," or something similar. Mignogna's defenders are asking for video recordings, or other similar "proof," and forgetting that our society, and our legal system accepts testimony as significant evidence. When there are so many people making similar first hand allegations against a person, that evidence is enough for a conviction when dealing with criminal behavior. When dealing with non-criminal, but inappropriate behavior, that evidence is similarly more than enough for there to be consequences such as those that Mignogna has suffered (harm to public image, loss of 'employment', loss of opportunity).

Quote:
I've also heard that some or a lot of the claims against Vic have been proven false.
That's really incorrect. A lot of Mignogna's defenders are reframing the allegations, and then "disproving" allegations that were never made. One example of this is the issue with some images ANN included in its first article about the allegations against Mignogna. Images were included that featured Vic kissing girls on the cheek. The article didn't allege that behavior was non-consensual, it was very clearly consensual. The images were just there to show a pattern of behavior, Mignogna kisses a lot of young girls on the cheeks; it included images on consensual and non-consensual instances. People claimed that ANN's inclusion of the consensual images was "a lie," and that ANN was saying Mignogna kissed those girls without their permission. When the images were removed, people claimed that "the allegations" were proven false, even though ANN never alleged those images to be non-consensual.

Other examples of allegations being "proven false" include the affidavit from one convention manager stating that he did not witness the interaction that Rial alleges she had with Mignogna. However Rial's allegation never states that the convention manager witnessed the interaction, she very specifically said that he arrived after it was over. Mignogna's defenders are now stating that, because the convention manager said he didn't see anything, she must be a liar. Note however that this affidavit, which doesn't actually contradict Rial's allegation, hasn't even been filed yet, it's merely been shown on YouTube by the guy who organized the Go Fund Me.

To the best of my knowledge, none of the allegations against Mignogna have been proven false. Several of them however have been proven factually true by Mignogna's own testimony during his deposition. He has stated that some of those events did indeed happen, although he has stated that his intentions were misinterpreted. So kind of, "Yes, that happened, but it's not as bad as they say it is."

-t

Last edited by Tempest on Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:30 pm; edited 4 times in total
ranran-001

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:13 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
SyranoGravely wrote:

This guy just keeps getting worse and worse

This one is even more disturbing than the ones that Monica, Kara, and Michelle have shared. Only for the fact that he tried to force himself on two sisters related by blood AND in the same room at the same time. I mean wow, to me this guy clearly does not think of anyone but himself and what he wants he is willing to go to certain lengths to get it.

I think we can establish at least that Vic has a pattern and that he is a serial harasser.

Now there are some troubling questions.

What kind of things did he do when he taught in Jacksonville, Florida?
What reasons were for his divorce back in 2001?
Did he do anything wrong or sketchy when he worked as a cop way back in 1986?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:14 pm Reply with quote
ranran-001 wrote:

Jesus. I as soon as I saw that I had to go back and add "exceptionally" to my previous post.

Last edited by Tempest on Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:27 pm Reply with quote
GrayArchon wrote:
In short, the defendants filing TCPA motions is fairly unremarkable. It's an expected step for this kind of lawsuit in Texas. All it means is that the defendants are finally taking a step that they should have taken a couple months ago if Vic's claims against them are as empty as they claim.

I think, under most circumstances, you'd be right. Anti-SLAPP (TCPA in Texas) motions are usually files as early as possible. Usually it's done before the discovery process.

There appear to be 2 possible reasons the defendants chose to wait until after the depositions.

This is 100% supposition on my part.

The first reason is that they wanted to get Mignogna on the public record admitting to various allegations. Mignogna's legal strategy has been to make this fight extremely public, and they wanted to pay him back in kind.

The second reason was to depose Mignogna and admit on the record that some of the allegations were true. You can't sue someone for defamation if you admit their allegations are in fact true.

So yes, they files later than you would expect, but they seem to have had strategic reasons for doing so.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
GrayArchon wrote:
In short, the defendants filing TCPA motions is fairly unremarkable. It's an expected step for this kind of lawsuit in Texas. All it means is that the defendants are finally taking a step that they should have taken a couple months ago if Vic's claims against them are as empty as they claim.

I think, under most circumstances, you'd be right. Anti-SLAPP (TCPA in Texas) motions are usually files as early as possible. Usually it's done before the discovery process.

There appear to be 2 possible reasons the defendants chose to wait until after the depositions.

This is 100% supposition on my part.

The first reason is that they wanted to get Mignogna on the public record admitting to various allegations. Mignogna's legal strategy has been to make this fight extremely public, and they wanted to pay him back in kind.

The second reason was to depose Mignogna and admit on the record that some of the allegations were true. You can't sue someone for defamation if you admit their allegations are in fact true.

So yes, they files later than you would expect, but they seem to have had strategic reasons for doing so.

so like when he said he grabbed someones hair.
it doesn't matter what the true context is, if it was malicious act to get her in bed or just getting a feel or better look (similar to what barbers do).

they'll only look act the committed act?
man no wonder innocent people are stuck in jail.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:52 pm Reply with quote
#898854 wrote:
from what i heard, he gave hugs and kisses to his fans.
young and old. anything else that's he did?

This is literally on the same page as your post:

Quote:

Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:04 pm Reply with quote
#898854 wrote:
are these victims that came forth and spoke in front of law officials or just random people tweets? i don't see that info

Reading is fundamental:

Quote:
So the affidavits are out from the twins Vic propositioned and sexually assaulted

affidavit, noun: a written statement confirmed by oath or affirmation, for use as evidence in court.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 12