• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Mignogna Deposition: Vic Mignogna Admits to Pulling Jamie Marchi's Hair, Denies it Was

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Aresef wrote:
The twins' affidavits are just... man.

The fact that this incident happened at my local con.... a con that would later invite him again in 2018, quite frankly makes me sick to my stomach. Mad
Crispy45

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Suu Slime wrote:
From what I understand, any lawyer can get records that aren't public, or at least that's how he explained getting a few docs before talking about the Vic situation. Also again, Nick repeatedly states he doesn't get court records from Ty.

Nick doesn't get court records from Ty because they're public documents. Anyone can get them if they're willing to pay the small fee for them.

Nick did get the depositions videos from Ty. Deposition videos can be bought by for a few thousand dollars and it was funded by the war chest. Ty and Nick accurately predicted the defense were going to try to depose Vic first, and then post all his statements out of context on social media to defame him more and paint him in a bad light, and then possibly file a TCPA before Monica and Ron were deposed so theirs couldn't be leaked, so Ty ensured the TCPA couldn't be filed until after all the depositions by asking the judge who agreed that no one would be doing that in his courtroom. The issue now is what the judge might think of them not filing a TCPA until after committing discovery abuse and if that will come into play on the TCPA hearing or not. But their plan all along was to release the deposition videos so people could watch them for themselves to combat out of context blurbs

The main thing here is people have been trying to gotcha Nick for the past 6 months over things that are complete non issues. One of them was him "leaking" documents. Nick has openly admitted many times he gets stuff from Ty and makes fun of the people who try to play conspiracy theory on him because it's not illegal or ethically wrong to do post documents and information which is all publicly available. Remember, it took about 5 months before the Twitter lawyers were called into action by KickVic to help them out. Nick was the only lawyer who was interested in this case until mid June so he was the only one who was getting these documents and was monopolizing everything. Nowadays you got the Twitter lawyers posting documents as well so most people dropped the whole 'leaking documents' angle (as well as insulting him by calling him an internet lawyer since they now have a internet lawyer of their own so its no longer an insult)

BlueRex666 wrote:
People as a whole shouldn't be so invested in a fight that isn't their own.

It affects everyone at the end of the day. It affects people who will be accused of misdeeds in the future and their right to due process and not trial by social media, it affects people who come forward and tell their abuse stories and their right to be believed and not accused of lying. It affects news media outlets and companies who brazenly report on unverifiable rumors and fire people over hearsay and holding them accountable. The more fights and cases like this happen, the more it sets a social and possible legal precedence in the future.
Nykona

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Anyone who read the depositions, or the Twins affidavit released today, knows Vic is a sexual predator. The only people who refuse to believe it are Vic fans who either haven't read the court documents, or refuse to believe them.

It is embarassing. Grow up and deal with the truth. Vic is a sexual predator.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:53 pm Reply with quote
batwing321 wrote:
Chuck Huber doesn't deserves any hatred in this; he was trying to make a bad situation better for everyone involved

So let me get this straight. This Huber guy wanted Funimation to rehire a known sexual predator, wanted Monica and Jamie to "work together" with their abuser -who has admitted under oath to pulling their hair!- whilst minimizing the weight of Vic's years of sexual misconduct, and then threatened Monica saying no one would back her up in court. Which part of this is "making it better for everyone"?
MarzGurl

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Pretty much only wanted to say that I'm glad to see that this thread is significantly less of a hellscape than these threads were even a couple of months ago. Times have certainly changed.

Carry on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Amibite

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:06 am Reply with quote
MarzGurl wrote:
Pretty much only wanted to say that I'm glad to see that this thread is significantly less of a hellscape than these threads were even a couple of months ago. Times have certainly changed.

Carry on.

That's not particularly surprising. The moderators have pretty much stepped up and started deleting posts that are critical of ANN or the defendants and showing support for Vic. I noticed a few of my own have started being removed as well.
batwing321

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:10 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
batwing321 wrote:
Chuck Huber doesn't deserves any hatred in this; he was trying to make a bad situation better for everyone involved

So let me get this straight. This Huber guy wanted Funimation to rehire a known sexual predator, wanted Monica and Jamie to "work together" with their abuser -who has admitted under oath to pulling their hair!- whilst minimizing the weight of Vic's years of sexual misconduct, and then threatened Monica saying no one would back her up in court. Which part of this is "making it better for everyone"?
He wanted Vic to admit he had a real problem and get some help before coming back to work was put back on the table. That doesn't mean he'd be working with any of the people he's hurt. They record separately, Funi could schedule them days apart, they'd never have to see each other.

Honestly, that's not what I'm personally for, I'd be just as happy if Vic never worked there again. But I understand that Huber was trying to look at the bigger picture, the one where everyone can keep doing their jobs, Vic can get some help, none of them have to interact, and the general viewing public can still have their Elrics and Bulmas without the stigma.

And what you call "threatening", I see as being honest. Funimation refused to be connected with anyone else Vic was suing: they left Monica and everyone else to fend for themselves. Chris is Monica's friend, but that doesn't always equal testifying under oath about things he may or may not have been witness to.

Last edited by batwing321 on Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:34 am; edited 1 time in total
boobah

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:26 am Reply with quote
ok im glad to see less vic fans on here because there's just some things i gotta say because this entire thing has been driving me crazy. i was never really his fan or anything despite watching some of his dubs growing up. but i do remember an old friend of mine being uncomfortable with him before any of the Tumblr call out posts started. i genuinely believe people when they say something has definitely been up with him for all these years he's been adored and cherished within the anime fandom.

but what really stresses me out following these updates, is that i feel like even if people dont believe all the horror stories people have been sharing.. why hasn't anyone been thinking that this guy still sounds like a major asshole and a straight up creep? he's openly admitted to commiting infidelity multiple times on his ex fiancee on a coworker and now two fans who were in their early 20s at the time. why would you invite two of your fans up to your room to have sex with them? why would you even assume they would want to just because they're your fans? yeah they were of age, but that still doesn't make it ok to try to engage in those sorts of acts with them. not every fan wants to sleep with their favorite celebrity, and even if they did, it's still the celebrity's responsibility to decline because that would be putting their fans in a vulnerable state. (plus this guy was ENGAGED and monogamous)

and the thing with jamie's hair... while he denied that he pulled onto her hair and all of that, he STILL admitted that he walked up to someone and started to play with their hair. that's not a normal thing to do to someone even if it was just for fun. how would you feel if someone went over to you and started touching your hair without your consent? it's weird and honestly i even regret thinking that was ok when i was still a teen. i tried to touch one girl's hair at school and she actually grabbed me by the wrist. not all people react like this (and it hardly happened in this time period too) , but it's important to know that anyone regardless of personality might feel violated.

a lot of people in the early to mid 2000s anime fandom didn't understand or ever talked about consent or even boundaries. i definitely feel like it would have been hard to back then because of how normalized it was, it even put me in a lot of vulnerable positions too. we can't ignore how common this was, even sexual abuse and harassment was heavily glorified and romantisized. we saw it so much in anime, manga and games that it was never a big deal for us. like, talking outside of vic mignogna here, but anime fandom was so unsafe back then. there was mass grooming and toxicity all around, everyone thought it was ok to do whatever the hell they wanted. so because no one cared, of course a lot of people got away with it. i know that might sound hard to believe but you had to be there to really know what i mean.

ALSO people go on and on about how evidence is super important and all that... how come no one is asking vic for proof of his stories? after admitting some of these things, wouldn't you be suspicious of him too? idk man fudge
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:36 am Reply with quote
Amibite wrote:
MarzGurl wrote:

Carry on.

That's not particularly surprising. The moderators have pretty much stepped up and started deleting posts that are critical of ANN or the defendants and showing support for Vic. I noticed a few of my own have started being removed as well.

They have been very good with routinely deleting conspiracy theories, victim blaming, and links to pages/videos containing more of those gross things, yes.
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:46 am Reply with quote
When I read that the twins said Vic was about as old as their father, I lost my lunch. He's as old as my father if not around the same age now. That's just...ugh. It made me think that they thought he was "older and wiser" and knew better, but to see he was damn willing to cheat on his fiancee (which he has) and that his "Christian values" were pretty much kicked out the door...

...glad I know this information. It makes one think.
Clodus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:28 pm Reply with quote
From Article wrote:
Specht outlines in the e-mail that she has been contacted by other women who claimed to have had nonconsensual encounters with Mignogna. She specified that one fan that reached out to her was underage at the time of "her 'experience'" with him. Specht also said that more than one of the women who came forward were part of the Star Trek Continues production.

Specht states that Mignogna didn't use condoms during these encounters. She also accuses Mignogna using friends to schedule him services with sex workers during out of town events. Mignogna admitted to hiring a sex worker during his deposition. He also admitted to having between five to 50 sexual encounters with other women

If it's nonconsual then that's rape. Even if that wasn't the case then she's underage. Why isn't this guy locked up yet?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Clodus wrote:
If it's nonconsual then that's rape. Even if that wasn't the case then she's underage. Why isn't this guy locked up yet?

So far no one has alleged truly prosecutable offences. Most are either inappropriate, or extremely inappropriate. Others, when taken on their own are merely eyebrow-raising, but when looked at as a complete body of evidence demonstrate an inexcusable pattern of behavior. A very few could technically pass as "assault," (hair pulling and unwanted kissing on the lips) but aren't strong enough to result in actual prosecution let alone conviction and jail-time (and statutes of limitations are likely passed).

Specht's allegations to hint at some events that might possibly cross these boundaries though. Specht however doesn't outline what the "experience" was that this underage girl was subjected to. It might be something very prosecutable for which the statute of limitations has not yet expired (or may not even exist), or it might be another case of "extremely inappropriate behavior."

So far though, Mignogna isn't on trial, and none of the detailed allegations are for anything that would result in a criminal trial. So the chances of him being "locked up" are pretty slim.

-t
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Amibite wrote:

Our mods don't delete stuff that's critical of ANN unless the critical post also attacks individual staff members, resorts to ad-hominem attacks, or just exceptionally rude. We're actually extremely tolerant of criticism of ANN, which you can see in the feedback forum. Problem is, when people want to be critical of a website like ANN, it's very common of them to throw decency to the wind, and we don't tolerate that.

As for attacks on the defendants, most of those have been ad-hominem, exceptionally rude, victim blaming, and/or conspiracy theory. It's unfortunate that, for some reason Rolling Eyes Mignogna's supporters seem to resort to that way more than his critics.

Polite support for Vic is left alone, our moderators don't touch it. Likewise polite criticism of ANN.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:05 am Reply with quote
Aresef wrote:
The twins' affidavits are just... man.

You said it. Jesus Christ, I almost screamed at my screen by the end. I want to put my fist through a wall. This is horrific. I don't care what any diehard fans of his say, the man is a monster and deserves jail time. Those poor girls. (I don't care if they were over 18, they were still children in so many ways, and they were misled, trapped, assaulted, and then shamed).
gacktluvr

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:40 am Reply with quote
I'm personally glad that this issue is being handled publicly, although I'm certainly saddened by the fact that it needed to happen at all. As was pointed out earlier, conventions in the 00s were crazy. I've seen insane property damage done to convention hotels in the past, and it isn't unusual to see a large quantity of ambulances at a convention even now.

Making these events accessible and fun for everyone has been a slow process. Teaching people not to 'glomp' others. Banning the use of yaoi paddles at conventions. 'Cosplay is not consent.' There are a multitude of convention rules and accepted behavior now that didn't exist when I first began going to anime conventions in 2003. This is another step that the convention scene needs to take.

We, the fans, need to be aware of what is happening at these conventions and looking out for one another. The rumors about Vic began spreading to try and warn people not to be put in situations where he could take advantage. There was no proof to point to, so all we could do was warn one another not to put ourselves in situations like the ones we've been hearing about now.

Conventions now are generally fairly safe spaces (compared to earlier cons), but it was through a lot of trial and error and hard work. Policies changed, rules were made, and the community started speaking up about things that made them uncomfortable. Even now, people are still engaging in discussion to try and make conventions better. This is a conversation that needs to happen.

People (especially younger fans) need to be reminded that voice actors, directors, mangaka, etc. are all human beings, and none of them are infallible. They are real people with their own distinct personalities, wants, and frames of reference. If a voice actor asks you to do something like coming back to their room, remember that you are going somewhere with a stranger. We need to look out for the younger attendees that may find themselves being preyed upon in this sort of situation.

This is a wake-up call to those of us who call ourselves fans. Whether Vic is innocent or guilty, I cannot say with 100% certainty. What I can say, is that we as fans can do our best to make sure nothing like this happens again. This needs to be a public discussion so that we can do our best to prevent similar incidents in the future. Even if Vic is proven innocent and regains his former position in the industry (which I doubt at this point) this conversation is still one that has merit. To make sure that we all do what we can to fight back against the things we feel aren't right.

Whether Vic is guilty or not may be the inciting incident for this discussion, but it represents much more than that now. These things can happen, and we need to make sure that they don't in the future.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4