• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Italian Bank Pulls Ad With My Hero Academia Reference After Reddit Post

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Were they afraid of being sued for copyright? Do companies even do that anymore or do they see it as a waste of time and money?

And I don't think they'd have a case. The characters look different enough.
AutoOps007

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:53 pm Reply with quote
HyugaHinata wrote:
Were they afraid of being sued for copyright? Do companies even do that anymore or do they see it as a waste of time and money?

And I don't think they'd have a case. The characters look different enough.

Please, the characters all clearly strongly resemble the MHA characters, to the point they look traced. Not just one character, but four. And not just the characters, it's clearly mimicking official artwork. Maybe if it was just one character and they were posing in a way that doesn't mimick any official artwork they might get away with it, but this far too obvious.

If Shueisha (or anyone who has the rights to MHA) don't have a case, then nobody would ever have a case for copyright infringement (unless it's straight up the original artwork with no changes made to it whatsoever). There's a reason they were quick to take it down. For all we know, Shueisha (or another rights holder) probably told them to take it down.

And do companies do what anymore? Infringe other people's IP? Immediately submit to any IP claims so that any legal matters so they don't get sued? They clearly don't wanna waste money on a court case they would be almost certain to lose.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:00 am Reply with quote
Superfield wrote:
"You fools! You got their stunt doubles!"

Stunt doubles? Why only stunt doubles?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2