• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Go to Japan with ANN and PacSet Travel!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Frankly, if anyone out of Rebecca, Zack, Jacob, Theron, Nick or James is going, I will sign up for the trip instantly, I lived in Japan for years and I did visited some of the spots covered in this trip, but having a group experience in western perspective will be a blast.

Unfortunately, Theron and James are middle/high school teachers so that is out of question, and Rebecca /Nick is always busy and occupied, so... Sad Sad

Oh well

Last edited by Engineering Nerd on Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:57 am; edited 1 time in total
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:55 pm Reply with quote
As much as I would like to go, I won't be able to. Hope the people that go have lots of fun!

octopodpie wrote:
Priceless perks you get while traveling with me:
Arrow Positive reinforcement on all your purchases. "Yes, that looks amazing on you, get two."
Arrow Peer pressure to eat food you'd otherwise be wary to try.
Arrow Overflowing excitement whenever we encounter an animal.
Arrow HQ Selfies

Lol Laughing

WizardOfOss wrote:
(How about some tasty funazushi? Torisashi? Motsunabe? Horumon? Shiokara?)

Never tried any of those, but they all sound pretty good. Smile
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:49 am Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
Frankly, if anyone out of Rebecca, Zack, Jacob, Theron, Nick or James is going, I will sign up for the trip instantly, I lived in Japan for years and I did visited some of the spots covered in this trip, but having a group experience in western perspective will be a blast.

Unfortunately, Theron and James are middle/high school teachers so that is out of question, and Rebecca /Nick is always busy and occupied, so... Sad Sad

Oh well

Uh, sorry it's just me?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:37 am Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
Uh, sorry it's just me?

Oh no no no, that is not what I meant, Since you are already confirmed so I didn’t count You on that wishlist. Make no mistake. as a loyal reader of Interest articles and The List, I know you will be a great travel companion. I only mention those names as wishlist since the article mentioned more ANN staff to be announced in the future.

I worded it in a misleading way, please pardon my mistake, I certainly would never meant it that way Embarassed
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:08 am Reply with quote
Oh, no worries! Sorry if I put you in the spot!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:24 am Reply with quote
gamegodtre wrote:

Tht price is horible at 4k with round trip. Out of new york with round trip cost me 1k for the flight n i went to a 50 a night hotel in ikkebukuro.

When did you do this? Prices have gone up a lot the last couple years in Tokyo. Many hotels closed down for several years to renovate for 2020. Next year, due to the Olympics, Airfare and Hotels are priced even higher. That increased price will probably last for a few years then slowly come down in the mid 2020s.

Airfare from LAX is about $850 (that's why the base tour is $850 cheaper). If you hop online now and look for airfare for a direct flight from LAX to Haneda on those dates (9/30-10/12), and you'll find that $850 is a very reasonable price.

At $50 a night, you were not staying in a very nice hotel. I can actually find hotels in Tokyo for under $30 a night. Would I want to put ANN's readers in them? Nope!

The ANN tour is a guided tour, staying in decent hotels, includes 11 days of meals, JR Pass, Onsen, Museums, and lots of other things. And we're taking people places where they can't go on your own (Anime studios don't sell tickets; most fans will never get to visit a studio and see animators at work). Quite simply, when ANN and PacSet set out to make this tour, we didn't set out to make the cheapest budget tour available, we set out to make something great.

Certainly you can go on your own for less than the cost of this tour, but that's not a fair comparison. This tour is guided and includes access to places you can't go on your own. It's just not an apples to apples compassion.

Now, if you want to go on your own, or with a small group of friends unguided, you can definitely do it cheaper. PacSet can even organize it to your budget if you want (for a fee), or you can do it completely alone. If that's the way you prefer to do it, I encourage you to do it. One way or another, whether it's the ANN Tour, another guided tour, with friends, or on your own, everyone should go to Japan and should do it at a cost that is reasonable for them.

Smile

Last edited by Tempest on Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:17 pm; edited 3 times in total
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:34 am Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
Frankly, if anyone out of Rebecca, Zack, Jacob, Theron, Nick or James is going...

Jacob works for our competitor right now. Not that we're banning him from participating in ANN activities, he's still family, but we wanted to include a current ANN staff member.

Zac would have loved to go, but sadly, we can't send Zac and Lynzee to Japan at the same time, the site would fall apart! We've also already sent Zac to Japan a couple times, it was Lynzee's turn!

If we sell a few more tickets though, we might actually be adding another ANN staff writer to the trip. Hopefully it's someone you like (lots of people like this person).

Kim, Egan and myself will likely pop in from time to time, but won't be with you every day.
(Kim and Egan live in Tokyo and I have a place there, so I've committed myself to spending all of October 2020 in Tokyo - I usually go October 15 - November 8, next year I'll just go October 1 - November 1... Can't leave before Halloween!)
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:42 am Reply with quote
HyugaHinata wrote:
I'm guessing Day 7 is a free day, for R&R?

R&R or solo/smaller group activities. The guides will have a list of recommended activities, and can help you arrange anything else you might want to do.
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:50 am Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
HyugaHinata wrote:
I'm guessing Day 7 is a free day, for R&R?

R&R or solo/smaller group activities. The guides will have a list of recommended activities, and can help you arrange anything else you might want to do.

Thanks for the heads-up. I live in Japan, but I was just curious. I appreciate the time you took to reply.
Saffire

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:12 pm Reply with quote
I wrestled with going but I can't quite swing it right now after buying a house. Hopefully there will be more in the future!
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Haven't decided for sure yet, but this looks really interesting.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
gamegodtre wrote:

Tht price is horible at 4k with round trip. Out of new york with round trip cost me 1k for the flight n i went to a 50 a night hotel in ikkebukuro.

When did you do this? Prices have gone up a lot the last couple years in Tokyo. Many hotels closed down for several years to renovate for 2020. Next year, due to the Olympics, Airfare and Hotels are priced even higher. That increased price will probably last for a few years then slowly come down in the mid 2020s.

Airfare from LAX is about $850 (that's why the base tour is $850 cheaper). If you hop online now and look for airfare for a direct flight from LAX to Haneda on those dates (9/30-10/12), and you'll find that $850 is a very reasonable price.

At $50 a night, you were not staying in a very nice hotel. I can actually find hotels in Tokyo for under $30 a night. Would I want to put ANN's readers in them? Nope!

The ANN tour is a guided tour, staying in decent hotels, includes 11 days of meals, JR Pass, Onsen, Museums, and lots of other things. And we're taking people places where they can't go on your own (Anime studios don't sell tickets; most fans will never get to visit a studio and see animators at work). Quite simply, when ANN and PacSet set out to make this tour, we didn't set out to make the cheapest budget tour available, we set out to make something great.

Yeah, I think a base price of around $3,200 is pretty reasonable for an 11 day guided tour. Back in June my friend and I did a 7 day tour through a different company that had everything paid except a few meals and alcohol and that ran us around $2,700 each (not counting airfare), so this price is in line with that or on the cheap side.

Main recommendation from that trip for first-timers? Try shabu-shabu if you get the chance. Both of us thought it was the best meal we had on the trip.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zrdb

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:38 pm Reply with quote
I'd really like to go but just can't afford the price of admission. Maybe next time.....!
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:06 am Reply with quote
gamegodtre wrote:
Tht price is horible at 4k with round trip...

The price is only steep if you value your tour guide's time at 0. If you look for small group guided tours in areas like Tokyo on sites like Viator, it's not uncommon to pay $200/day. Realize that part of what you're paying goes towards your tour guide's room/board since they'll be doing the heavy lifting portion by planning out the day's activities and navigation. And while I agree with you that, for the most part, getting to tourist sites like Kaminarimon, Tokyo Tower, etc. is not difficult, a knowledgeable tour guide can impart a lot of information that you couldn't otherwise get by reading signs and internet guides.

Public Wi-Fi is not reliable unless you're on the shinkansen or in a restaurant like Starbucks, etc. I use a portable Wi-Fi unit while there, all of which you can book before you arrive and pick it up at the airport. $70/2 weeks for reliable internet even in the mountains was very helpful.

I agree with the advice regarding walking. If you're out of shape, start working out months before you're going to leave. There are a lot of stairs in Tokyo, particularly if you're going to use the subway system to get around. I usually walk a minimum of 15 kms a day in Tokyo, and that's using the subway system. And break in a good pair of walking shoes before you go. Nothing worse than bringing the wrong kind of footwear and being in pain from it throughout your trip.
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:36 am Reply with quote
If you don't have wi-fi, don't pay for data roaming. It's very expensive if it's outside the country your mobile phone plan was registered in.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3