• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fantagraphics Adds Moto Hagio's The Poe Clan Manga

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:09 am Reply with quote
At this point I wonder if a license rescue for Moto Hagio titles previously released by Viz is possible.
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:38 am Reply with quote
Awesome news. Fantagraphics has done a great job with all their Moto Hagio releases, so this is an insta-buy for me.

Also, seconding what fuuma_monou said.
Coup d'État

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:02 am Reply with quote
Fantastic news! I'll pre-order it as soon as it's available.
Together with Urusei Yatsura over at VIZ, it feels that more and more publishers are dipping their toes into classics now that they haven't been a disaster in recent years anymore. I could not be more happy.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:04 am Reply with quote
C'mon, gimme Star Red. I need some sweet Disco Era shoujo space opera.
VampireNaomi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:39 am Reply with quote
Fantastic, this is a title I've wanted to read for so long. Thank you!
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:35 am Reply with quote
Wait, Rachel Thorn is back translating for Fantagraphics? Why won't they finish Wandering Son first? I'm still waiting for vols.9-15.. Sad
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:07 am Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
Wait, Rachel Thorn is back translating for Fantagraphics? Why won't they finish Wandering Son first? I'm still waiting for vols.9-15.. Sad

She also did Otherworld Barbara, which was a pretty recent release for them.

And yeah, I really want the rest of Wandering Son myself. Rachel Thorn herself is trans, so it's likely not a lack of interest on her part, but on Fantagraphics. Still, I bet she's read the entire series and that make me jealous!

As for Poe Clan, hooray! Always excited to see more 49ers stuff! I do wish I knew what format they were planning to go with though (the glorious hardcovers again is pretty likely, but 5 vols? 2 vol omnis? What?)
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:38 am Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:

Presumably the sales numbers were too low to justify finishing the series in translation.

I have a trans friend who started reading the manga but had trouble telling the characters apart, so they stopped.
Mew Berry

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:03 am Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:

I hadn't heard of this before, but now I also want it.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Mew Berry wrote:
Utsuro no Hako wrote:

I hadn't heard of this before, but now I also want it.

Thirded!
Otherworld Barbara was incredible, and I am excited for any fantasy or scifi story Hagio has done!
Bonham

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Really excited for more Moto Hagio, and glad that Rachel Matt Thorn is going to be translating The Poe Clan, too. Loved her work on the previous Hagio titles.

License rescues of the Viz titles remains a distant hope, and perhaps we can dream a little about an official English release of A Cruel God Reigns...
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Fantagraphics seems to treat manga the same way they treat their comic collections: release an expensive, limited run hardcover and then stop selling it.

This was why Wandering Son's sales were bad. They sold it to premium collectors and got bad sales. What did they expect? Needless to say this will end up the same way and will go OOP fast, just like Wandering Son, and they won't print more. I've seen people ask them about second runs of stuff on Twitter and they've always said "no plans". They suck at selling to the typical manga crowd.
EricMontreal22

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:58 pm Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
Fantagraphics seems to treat manga the same way they treat their comic collections: release an expensive, limited run hardcover and then stop selling it.

This was why Wandering Son's sales were bad. They sold it to premium collectors and got bad sales. What did they expect? Needless to say this will end up the same way and will go OOP fast, just like Wandering Son, and they won't print more. I've seen people ask them about second runs of stuff on Twitter and they've always said "no plans". They suck at selling to the typical manga crowd.

That hasn't bothered me with the Moto Hagio titles so far, but I guess it would if I was trying to buy them years after the fact (as it is I have two copies, despite the price, of each). The reason it doesn't bother me so much is because they have been short series (Rachel Thorn told me Poe will end with a second volume). However, for longer series (and the awesome Cruel God Reigns is LONG), I think this IS a problem and, as Wandering Son has shown, it would make so much more sense to release it in cheaper editions (and if possible more volumes per year). Still, I really can't complain about the Hagio works they've done or the fact they remain committed to her (even if very slowly).
EricMontreal22

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:05 pm Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
At this point I wonder if a license rescue for Moto Hagio titles previously released by Viz is possible.

I assume you mean They Were 11, since the other Viz title--A Prime is still easy to find at decent prices on Amazon, etc. I was lucky enough to buy Four Shojo Stories with They Were 11 when it came out, but would be happy to have a new copy (and Rachel Thorn did the original translations so presumably could use those) if it included the following year's excellent sequel Horizon of the East, Eternity of the West, and the comical, short Tada and Frol side stories.

But honestly, and I suppose I'm greedy since I already have the Viz editions in good quality, I'd rather Fantagraphics continues to focus on titles that *haven't* already been released. Hagio has SOOO much great stuff to chose from. I read French and the two volume set there has some overlap with Fantagraphics' short stories but some nice other works.

My pick though for next series is rather obscure to N American fans. Her early 1980s mid size serial (around 1000 pages), MESH, which she herself has said marked her transition into a more thematically adult phase. It deals with issues that Cruel God Reigns would get into more (sexuality, abuse...) focusing on a young adult who is determined to kill his drug dealing father, but I think that series is way too long for Fantagraphics to consider, and MESH has brilliant early 1980s artwork.

*always trying hard to spread the MESH love*

https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=12383
EricMontreal22

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:03 am Reply with quote
Just bumping since, after some delays, this is finally being released in just under 3 weeks...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1