• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Will The Macross Franchise Ever Be Made Available In The West?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:31 am Reply with quote
I remember there were also American made BGC comics. BGC seems like one of those titles where it was more popular in the Western fandom than it was in Japan. Back to the subject of Macross, even if HG can't release the later shows for some reason, I don't know why they can't at least re-release the original Macross on DVD. Even presuming the show sold badly for ADV, the original Mobile Suit Gundam did badly when it was first released in the US yet it still got a home video re-release from Nozomi. There are plenty of more older anime that are far more niche than Macross that have been released in the US. Maybe the biggest barrier might be hostility from fandom towards supporting any HG approved Macross DVD. But since they already have the rights to the original, I feel like a new sub DVD release of the original wouldn't be as big of a gamble as trying to release the newer Macross shows.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:02 am Reply with quote
@Cardcaptor Takato

For a few years AnimEigo had the license for the Japanese version of Super Dimensional Fortress Macross. They produced a sub only remastered version on DVD. I just checked and the whole nine volume box set is readily available on E-bay. It seems to sell between $150 and $250.

Concerning BGC. At one point AnimEigo auctioned off a life sized version on Nene's hardsuit. It was sized to fit a relatively small Japanese girl.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:53 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@Cardcaptor Takato

For a few years AnimEigo had the license for the Japanese version of Super Dimensional Fortress Macross. They produced a sub only remastered version on DVD. I just checked and the whole nine volume box set is readily available on E-bay. It seems to sell between $150 and $250.

And they had to pay HG licensing rights to do it, which is one of the prime examples of HG’s hold on the Macross name.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:37 pm Reply with quote
@Beltane70

While I don't know myself, I don't doubt that they did pay HG a licensing fee. That is how that sort of thing works. My point was that the original Japanese version with a subtitle track was done. The fact that it is still available for not too much of a premium even though it has been out of print for years would probably explain why no one is currently likely to reissue it.

My take is that by the time both the Japanese and US licensing snafus are resolved (if ever) no one will care. Very Happy
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:22 pm Reply with quote
I don't want to buy somebody else's copy of a decade old release for the same price I could pay for a new Aniplex release. I want to own my own copy of it and at a realistic price for a 36 episode show. And DVDs that old do wear out over time.
hikura

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I don't want to buy somebody else's copy of a decade old release for the same price I could pay for a new Aniplex release. I want to own my own copy of it and at a realistic price for a 36 episode show. And DVDs that old do wear out over time.

Every type of media will degrade over time. Doesn't matter if it's digital or physical copy. A new copy of a series will cost almost as much as a previous viewed copy.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:21 pm Reply with quote
hikura wrote:

Every type of media will degrade over time. Doesn't matter if it's digital or physical copy. A new copy of a series will cost almost as much as a previous viewed copy.
So Harmony Gold spent money to renew a license for a show that supposedly has low market demand or need for any new release of it?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4