• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Enter The Anime Director Alex Burunova

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:50 am Reply with quote
I still get the felling that the director don't really get how diverse Anime really is. Yes, she knows that are anime that is relaxing, but the focus on "edgy and dark" anime that represents only a small part of all anime made is something expected from someone that just come in contact with anime.

I would recommend a day visit to Akihabara or AnimeJapan in Tokyo Big Sight so she can see how wrong the documentary are.
TexZero

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:05 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Were you nervous about how this would be received by anime fans?

We always knew that die-hard fans may not be as impressed with the doc, and might get upset because a lot of what we touch on is common knowledge to them and might feel basic. But since our target audience is those who are fresh to the genre, people who might have never seen it, we tried to make it simple and general while still keeping it entertaining.

Yikes.

All i'm picturing now is Charlie Brown trying to kick a field goal and Lucy moving the ball.

This documentary was far from anywhere good enough to educate people new to anime. If anything it does quite the great job of being a detractor due to trying to cornhole it into being "edgy and disturbing". Not only did it fail on that point it wildly missed the mark on portraying the vast uniquness of anime by trying to strictly define it by style and not the stories they can tell.

All of this for an hour long promotional video meant to be a gateway ?
Like if you really wanted to hype your own platform up you have Violet Evergarden and will soon have Carole and Tuesday which NX and Netflix have woefully under marketed. You could have used either of these shows to contrast the differences and show how anime is a great unifier that provides a little bit of something for everyone instead of the "edgy and disturbing" message.

It doesn't take a hardcore fan to see this either. It just takes someone at Netflix who cares.
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:06 am Reply with quote
#884745 wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
I think zac did as well as could be hoped for, in terms of holding her and the other people working on the production responsible for the problems in the documentary while not being unreasonably mean spirited, or coming across as attacking her and the rest of the staff for not doing the best job on the work they did.

I sort of don't, though.

Was the format of the interview such that there wasn't any opportunity to respond to a response? Like, "You say that, but how do you square that with this moment in the documentary?"

Were these questions just emailed to the director, and their responses were emailed back? Was it not verbal at all? Was it a time constraint?

It's not just this interview, it's not just ANN, but I feel like discussion, journalism, whatever, in general just... doesn't ask or answer questions directly enough to get anything out of things.

Maybe it's because everything has to be short nowadays...

But it is possible to ask more questions, or more direct questions, without attacking. It's possible to ask for more time to do an interview without attacking, and if they take it as automatically an attack, that should be documented.

Anyway, I wish people would emphasize that anime is the only place nowadays to get entertainment that isn't "edgy" or "hardcore". Things like BL and bishounen music anime just... don't exist anywhere else. Those are the truly unique things about anime, since Western media is all just loud, obnoxious Marvel stuff nowadays. Anime has things that are more sophisticated and softer, like StarMyu and Touken Ranbu.

Speaking from my own experience interviewing anime talent, you're typically given a very brief timeslot to work in, to the point that I've rarely had time to ask every question I've prepared, so I have to weigh up whether it's worth sacrificing another question for a follow-up. You often can't just ask for more time, because the journalist from the next outlet is already waiting outside.
Then there are the times where talent requires questions to be submitted in advance of the interview...

Considering Zac mentioned how Ms. Burunova didn't answer his question about industry conditions, and how she's in Greece, I suspect this was an email interview, but even then, there's only so much back and forth you'll be allowed to do (if any at all).
Crispy45

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:01 am Reply with quote
OrdepNM wrote:
I'm pretty sure 99% of the anime community has settled on the notion that inside Japan anime is any kind of animation - as that's their word for animation - while outside Japan, anime means animation done in or closely associated with Japan, very much like chai means any tea inside India, but outside it means black spicy tea - which originated in India. Since the documentary clearly wasn't made with the japanese public in mind, this non-answer was an evasive as one could get.

The old defense of "anime refers to any animation in Japan!" is actually a bit of a misnomer. It's technically right, in the sense that your grandmother saying Pokemon is a cartoon is right, as you will see the general Japanese public refer to Toy Story as an 'anime' but people in the Japanese fandom actually use specific words when talking about American animation like westerners do for Japanese animation In this case it's "cartoon" or "toon" which is used to refer to American animation by it's fanbase. It's not much different than how the west does it for anime, just on a much smaller scale since the fandom is pretty niche in Japan. Just a side note since it pops up every now and then.

Jonny Mendes wrote:
I still get the felling that the director don't really get how diverse Anime really is. Yes, she knows that are anime that is relaxing, but the focus on "edgy and dark" anime that represents only a small part of all anime made is something expected from someone that just come in contact with anime.

To be fair, that's the only anime America really cares about. Battle shounen and action shows do amazing while everything else is just kind of there. And to the average American cartoon viewer something like Dragonball Z and My Hero Academia are "edgy and dark" with how violent they are and stuff. Sure, we know better, but the average viewer only cares about those kinds of shows. There's a reason Netflix made Castlevania the way it is and marketed it as anime. It's what most of the anime fanbase, especially the more casual not-too-into-anime fanbase would gravitate to.
Kaorichama

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:08 am Reply with quote
I feel bad for Ms Burunova after reading this interview.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:

To be fair, that's the only anime America really cares about. Battle shounen and action shows do amazing while everything else is just kind of there. And to the average American cartoon viewer something like Dragonball Z and My Hero Academia are "edgy and dark" with how violent they are and stuff. Sure, we know better, but the average viewer only cares about those kinds of shows. There's a reason Netflix made Castlevania the way it is and marketed it as anime. It's what most of the anime fanbase, especially the more casual not-too-into-anime fanbase would gravitate to.
Sure, the edgy stuff has always been the most popular, but I think even most casual anime fans will like those shows for more reason than they're "crazy and edgy." Like most MHA fans seem to like the show the most for the characters and Bones' impressive animation than because it's "edgy." Even with DBZ fans enjoy the show for Toriyama's comedy as much as they do the cool action scenes. Even with stuff where the dark and twisted themes are a main selling point, if it doesn't have a strong story, most fans likely won't watch it regardless.
Winger

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:28 pm Reply with quote
An offtopic question: why don't Aggretsuko Season 2, Castlevania Season 2 and Cannon Busters do not have pages in the ANN encyclopedia?

Also, I need to say that the original language for Cannon Busters (according to the Netflix trailer) is japanese, not english. So, even if the original HQ is from the west, the animated adaptation is a legitimate anime.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:

Ah yes, American anime fans only care about edgy series, like Yuri on Ice, K-On, or Fruits Basket. So edgy. I almost cut myself just watching them.
LeonardRhine82

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:44 am Reply with quote
Well... the interview is exactly what i was expecting. Zac points well to some of the most glaring flaws, and gets neutral answers, she is just selling her documentary.

But man... what a mess of a documentary this is. 90% promotion of 5 or 6 netflix shows, zero interest in the overall japanese industry, no insight whatsoever... and your decades old "japanese people are weird and crazy" nonsense.

I guess she had a nice trip to japan, at least. She doesn't have the knowledge nor the interest, to do something worthwhile.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2