Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Blade of the Immortal Anime's Promo Video Reveals Cast, Staff, October Premiere, Amazon-on




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Ajc228



Joined: 29 Dec 2015
Posts: 237
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:46 am Reply with quote
I really don’t like Hiroshi Hamasaki. I don’t think he is particularly good at directing action. Texhnolyze and Shigurui are glacially paced with long drawn out fights where I could barely tell what the hell was happening. The best case scenario is that the producers and creator twist his arm to curtail his worst tendencies as a director.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Beatdigga



Joined: 26 Oct 2003
Posts: 2846
Location: Here!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:36 am Reply with quote
Let me guess, sub only, quiet release?

With Netflix and Hulu beefing up their anime content, you would expect Amazon Prime to answer in mind or completely divorce from it. This seems very wishy washy when they could go all in on a dub and some actual promotion.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
RedSwirl



Joined: 08 Feb 2006
Posts: 293
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:38 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Let me guess, sub only, quiet release?

With Netflix and Hulu beefing up their anime content, you would expect Amazon Prime to answer in mind or completely divorce from it. This seems very wishy washy when they could go all in on a dub and some actual promotion.


Amazon gets a lot of good stuff but doesn't seem to actually care about promoting it. Every time I browse Prime I find something else I'm shocked is even there, like Samurai Troopers or the Moribito J-Drama. And I had to actually search for Vinland Saga to find it when it came out, and the subs are just okay, and the series description on Amazon seems like hastily thrown-together Engrish.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
#894822



Joined: 08 Apr 2019
Posts: 12
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:03 am Reply with quote
Really looking forward to this. I’m glad it will be on Amazon. Unlike Netflix, they simulcast their shows and their apps are far superior to Crunchyroll’s...

The only issue I have with them is the occasional late upload... I’m not bothered about them not promoting anime.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
donhumberto



Joined: 19 Jan 2017
Posts: 463
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Ajc228 wrote:
I really don’t like Hiroshi Hamasaki. I don’t think he is particularly good at directing action. Texhnolyze and Shigurui are glacially paced with long drawn out fights where I could barely tell what the hell was happening. The best case scenario is that the producers and creator twist his arm to curtail his worst tendencies as a director.

Wow, I couldn't disagree more. I love Hamasaki to bits (probably one of my top 3 anime directors ever) and his work in Texhnolyze was absolutely spectacular.
Super excited for this now. Also, Fall is shaping up to be quite the season (hopefully Babylon gest confirmed and we'll be talking about one of the most promising anime seasons in forever)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Zhou-BR



Joined: 28 Feb 2008
Posts: 949
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:52 pm Reply with quote
I liked Hamasaki's Shigurui adaptation, but the last time he directed a show at Liden Films, things didn't turn out well. Also, Kenjiro Tsuda's raspy tough guy voice is starting to grate on me in ways there are making Cop Craft hard to watch. I've always wanted Kazuya Nakai to voice Manji, but he was sadly cast as Magatsu in the previous, much maligned adaptation of Blade of the Immortal.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jdnation



Joined: 15 May 2007
Posts: 1153
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:39 pm Reply with quote
donhumberto wrote:
Ajc228 wrote:
I really don’t like Hiroshi Hamasaki. I don’t think he is particularly good at directing action. Texhnolyze and Shigurui are glacially paced with long drawn out fights where I could barely tell what the hell was happening. The best case scenario is that the producers and creator twist his arm to curtail his worst tendencies as a director.

Wow, I couldn't disagree more. I love Hamasaki to bits (probably one of my top 3 anime directors ever) and his work in Texhnolyze was absolutely spectacular.
Super excited for this now. Also, Fall is shaping up to be quite the season (hopefully Babylon gest confirmed and we'll be talking about one of the most promising anime seasons in forever)


Ditto! I love this guy's work. Texhnolyze sits proudly on my shelf. And I only managed to see Shigurui Death Frenzy recently on Crunchyroll and it's style is absolutely spectacular!

He's a great choice for Blade of the Immortal!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AnimusPrime



Joined: 15 Feb 2015
Posts: 47
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:02 am Reply with quote
Yes, I will jump on this Hiroshi Hamasaki hype train.

I can't think of a better choice for a director of this material. His slow, brooding style may not suit all anime, but - as evidenced by Shigurui - it's perfect for samurai duels. Like those in a Clint Eastwood western, these duels are typically over in a single, intense moment after a tense standoff. And, Blade of the Immortal is pretty much nothing-but-duels (followed by those awesome death-mandalas)

I've got high hopes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group