• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 40-Year-Old Arrested for Threatening Square Enix With Repeat of Kyoto Animation Fire

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:40 am Reply with quote
This threating is becoming sure suspicious right now, can Japan police and the government resolve this situation?
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:57 am Reply with quote
People really need to stop and think about what they're doing. Today's climate is going to be much less forgiving about these sorts of shenanigans than was generally true in the past. Making threats like this will almost certainly get you jail time -- maybe a lot of it. Hopefully people will get this through their heads before more examples need to be made.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:28 am Reply with quote
I read that another man was arrested for making this same sort of threat to the tax office of his local government in Japan too. Again, the threat referenced KyoAni.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:44 am Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
I read that another man was arrested for making this same sort of threat to the tax office of his local government in Japan too. Again, the threat referenced KyoAni.

So i guess KyoAni arson attack is making a lot of popular culture references right now. Shame on what the person has done to KyoAni and earn its anime studio into popular culture tropes on TVTropes right now.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:46 am Reply with quote
I consider myself a rather politically incorrect person and am a huge free speech activist.

That being said, the world is changing and there are certain things people just shouldn't joke about anymore. I certainly would never joke about terrorism, bombs, or shooting sprees in this day and age.

Japan is a rather peaceful country that isn't used to these things, so maybe it's taking people longer to realize this.
Rogueywon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Japan's police have been notoriously lax on responding to threats like this for years now, despite a general escalation of incidents around idols and VAs. But in the aftermath of the KyoAni fire, it's a pretty safe bet that anybody throwing around threats like those will be looking at some quality time with the police.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Aca Vuksa wrote:
So i guess KyoAni arson attack is making a lot of popular culture references right now. Shame on what the person has done to KyoAni and earn its anime studio into popular culture tropes on TVTropes right now.

I think it's simply because the KyoAni arson is still so recent that it's in the news and on a lot of people's mind. Remember that in Japan it's a huge news event because of the massive loss of life. It's the deadliest incident they've had in many years so it's on the news simply because of that one fact alone. People who don't know the first thing about KyoAni will still be talking about it--not because of KyoAni specifically, but because it's a major event on the news.

@mrsatan
I suspect that it's not many people doing this, it's just a handful of people who are either seeking attention deliberately, or who are irrationally upset. The same kind of thing happens after any sort of tragedy. I'm not condoning the behavior, just saying that we've seen it before and we will see it again.
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:42 pm Reply with quote
@AkumaChef

Yeah, i know that. It is the worst disaster that has ever occurred in post-war II Japan in history. An arson attack inspired a lot of Japanese people to attack the many good companies.
XSp

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:48 pm Reply with quote
This is entirely too sad.

As far as I understand, Japan is an extremely safe country overall, but this has never stopped a growing ammount of Internet trolls and not-so-nice-people making threats and all that on the Internet. It is a disturbing trend that caught hold on the Internet there and that will eventually be put in the spotlight... it's probably happening now.

With notorious cases like KyoAni, there will of course be an increase in copycat criminals (wannabe or not), increase in monitoring, awareness, reporting and potentially even stuff like surveillance, censorship and other side effects.
What happened to KyoAni isn't just about KyoAni, it's about Japan in general. These types of things have profound, often invisible effects in a culture.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:35 pm Reply with quote
I often wonder who often the Japanese police monitor online activity.

Regular social media is pretty public and much can be seen if they wanted to look into it. But boards and dark webs are probably harder to navigate. But I doubt there there isn't a team that can navigate it.

The other thing is the fact that sometimes "things" are known but nothing is done about it. Either individuals are in the know making cover for each other.

Some might remember a few years ago when a guy posted on a message board a vague message. Turned out it ended up being a public attack where he ran a truck into individuals injuring them. Then proceeded to exit the truck and then brutally start slashing people, where there were casualties. I don't know if they brought him down, or brought him in. This is the issue with idleness and being caught up in their own fantasy world.

Kudos to the Japanese police department for capturing this person.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:47 pm Reply with quote
None of this is joke who sociopathic idiots.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Throw all those three scum-sucking degenerates into mental institutions, those clearly don't sound like "jokes" to me. Evil or Very Mad
Яeverse

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Heated gaming moments cause people to show their true selves and do things theyd never even imagined.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:56 pm Reply with quote
That guy should've sued Square-Enix, and maybe won or he and SE could've settled out of court and got his money back plus attorney's fees, he isn't going to accomplish anything now making a threat like this nor get his money back.
nargun

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Aca Vuksa wrote:
This threating is becoming sure suspicious right now, can Japan police and the government resolve this situation?

The current government of japan is a reflection of the same impulses as leads to the stuff we're talkimg about. If they knew what it all meant then they wouldn't be, sa y, running their s outh korean trade war deal.

Things fall apart / the centre cannot hold. I mean, it's happened before, just read the whole poem (yeats second coming, it's pretty short) and remember the context it was writen in.

(japanese politics is a bit weird for structural reasons, so the effects we're talking about only show if you know ldp factions. But you see the same thing in play with brexit, or with trumpism, or with the bjp in india, or the nationalists in poland and hungary. Australia also has unusual politics, so the effects again are harder to see.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2