• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Manga Answerman - Is Translating 'Lolicon' as 'Pedophile' Accurate?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Florete

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:39 am Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
Florete wrote:
bennyl wrote:
How can it even make sense that a child is a pedophile?

It's possible for the character to be wrong in what she says rather than the translation of what she said to be wrong.

There's a difference between a character being wrong and the writer not knowing wtf they're putting out.

Completely irrelevant to what was being said. A kid sister isn't going to think "Well technically he's not of legal age so he can't be a pedophile" before calling him a pedophile if she sees evidence of it.
Ariho

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
Generally, I'm of the opinion that culturally-specific or otaku-specific terms should be left in. It's no more gatekeeping than having to learn basic greetings or how not to offend others when you go overseas. It's part and parcel of enjoying the media from another culture.
AkumaChef wrote:
If you're into photography you learn the Japanese term "bokeh". If you're into cooking you learn a whole bunch of French (saute, bouillon, entree, mirepoix, roux, etc...) And so on. I don't think it's unreasonable in the slightest to leave words like lolicon in Japanese here--any hobby or interest has its jargon and its foreign loanwords.

I can expect an anime fan to be at least passingly familiar with the term (which, however, as I said earlier, might lead to more confusion). I would not expect anyone that watches an anime to be an anime fan, just like not anyone that takes a photo has photography as a hobby or profession, and almost nobody that ever cooks aspires to be a chef.

Sailor Sedna wrote:
According to DSM-V in America, pedophiles have to be at least 16 and five years older than the other kid, so technically a 16 year old and a 17 year old could be one if they're attracted to others five years younger than them.

DSM is a clinical diagnosis tool, not a dictionary. Diagnostic criteria might include an age cut, but that does not make it so that the main quality described by the disorder can be ascribed exclusively to people in the specified age range [1]. Furthermore, it is careful in distinguishing its “pedophilic disorder” from “pedophilia”:
American Psychiatric Associationʼs Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition wrote:
Since pedophilia is a necessary condition for pedophilic disorder, any factor that increases the probability of pedophilia also increases the risk of pedophilic disorder. There is some evidence that neurodevelopmental perturbation in utero increases the probability of development of a pedophilic orientation.
American Psychiatric Associationʼs Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition wrote:
If individuals […] report an absence of feelings of guilt, shame, or anxiety about these impulses and are not functionally limited by their paraphilic impulses (according to self‐report, objective assessment, or both), and their self‐reported and legally recorded histories indicate that they have never acted on their impulses, then these individuals have a pedophilic sexual orientation, but not pedophilic disorder.

[1] As a less controversial example, criterion C of “voyeuristic disorder” specifies that « [t]he individual experiencing the arousal and/or acting on the urges is at least 18 years of age. » Regardless, anyone that gets sexual arousal from observing unsuspecting naked persons would be a “voyeur”, even if they do not meet the full diagnostic criteria for “voyeuristic disorder”.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Ariho wrote:

I can expect an anime fan to be at least passingly familiar with the term (which, however, as I said earlier, might lead to more confusion). I would not expect anyone watching anime to be an anime fan,

The way I see it there are two options:
1) the viewer/reader is a newbie. This is statistically unlikely in general, and even moreso if we're talking about a niche-within-a-niche of lolicon. I don't think too many newbies to anime pick these sorts of shows/manga to start with.
2) The viewer/reader is already familar with anime/manga and its terminology.

I'm sure the number of people in case #2 FAR outnumber those in case #1, and they already know that the term lolicon means. Lolicon is the better translation for them. As for the people in case #1, I would argue that using the term lolicon with a footnote explanation makes far more sense than using "pedophile" and inviting a misunderstanding. Newbie readers are the ones most likely to misunderstand due to a lack of experience with the genre and its quirks and therefore the most important group to convey an accurate translation to.

Quote:
just like not anyone that takes a photo has photography as a hobby or profession, and almost nobody that ever cooks aspires to be a chef.

You don't have to have professional cooking aspirations to know what saute means. I fact, I'd argue the opposite of your point: most people know what saute means despite having zero interest or experience with cooking professionally. Every interest or hobby has its jargon so it seems disengenious to me to try and stamp it out....especially in cases like this one where the words have radically different connotations.
StarfighterPegasus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:32 pm Reply with quote
In my opinion Lolicon is in the same boat pedophilia. Do I still like Lolicon and Shotacon. You bet but I'm not going to sit here and try to use cultural differences excuses. Same with Brony erotic mediums, its bestiality, but It doesn't take away my enjoyment of the erotic art that is produced. Amazon sells Human x Big Foot and other novels with themes, a human x Unicorn erotica it sold well. At the end of the day its just fiction.

I mean Vampires are undead, that didn't stop the Vampire craze.

So I'll get to the point. I agree that Lolicon and Shotacon can be viewed as pedo but that doesn't make those who like shota and lolis predators. Just enjoy the medium.
Chazer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Come on Funimation... you should be smarter than that, given both your target audience and backlash of using such a charged word.

It would be like calling a hunter a murderer because they happen to have a weapon with which they kill living beings. While you can certainly apply the word (specially if you are against the killing of animals) that is not the most appropriate use of it, and it is bound to polarize the conversation.
StarfighterPegasus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Chazer wrote:
Come on Funimation... you should be smarter than that, given both your target audience and backlash of using such a charged word.

It would be like calling a hunter a murderer because they happen to have a weapon with which they kill living beings. While you can certainly apply the word (specially if you are against the killing of animals) that is not the most appropriate use of it, and it is bound to polarize the conversation.
You are basically going tomato, tomato. Just because the fandom dances around the word doesn't really change its meaning.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:15 pm Reply with quote
StarfighterPegasus wrote:
You are basically going tomato, tomato. Just because the fandom dances around the word doesn't really change its meaning.

It does change nuance drastically though.
Calling someone creepy is very far from calling them a criminal.
StarfighterPegasus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:

No all pedos are criminals, There is a difference between a pedo and a child molester. People are quick to use the term pedo to mean child molester which are two different things.
geepee

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:49 pm Reply with quote
that reminds me when youtuber Suede was lambasting Dan Kanemitsu for his translation choices in Netflix's Evangelion and labeling him as a nazi and pedo supporter for liking Girls und Panzer and Strike Witches and blocked me on twitter when I said he can't judge people like that for liking those kind of anime because it would be the same as calling someone a psychotic killer for liking violent games...
StarfighterPegasus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:01 pm Reply with quote
geepee wrote:
that reminds me when youtuber Suede was lambasting Dan Kanemitsu for his translation choices in Netflix's Evangelion and labeling him as a nazi and pedo supporter for liking Girls und Panzer and Strike Witches and blocked me on twitter when I said he can't judge people like that for liking those kind of anime because it would be the same as calling someone a psychotic killer for liking violent games...
I'm sorry that happened to you. You are correct, that we shouldn't be quick to judge people
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:

No all pedos are criminals, There is a difference between a pedo and a child molester. People are quick to use the term pedo to mean child molester which are two different things.

Yeah, well, nuance. Whatever you want to revindicate, what people will understand by "pedophile" is [potential] criminal, they won't care about your fine combing.
Therefore, if a character is referred to as "a pedophile", anybody that isn't well versed in otaku culture or how Japanese people use the word "lolicon" will take it in the worst possible way.

Whether it's used as a light joke or a severe accusation, anyone that actually needs a translation will assume the character is the worst scum. And this can badly damage not just people's perception of the character but the show's reputation as well by association.

Because what matters here isn't textbook definitions, it's what people will understand and interpret.

Words are a powerful thing and thus controversial ones must be used carefully.
StarfighterPegasus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
Yuvelir wrote:

Yeah, well, nuance. Whatever you want to revindicate, what people will understand by "pedophile" is [potential] criminal, they won't care about your fine combing.
Therefore, if a character is referred to as "a pedophile", anybody that isn't well versed in otaku culture or how Japanese people use the word "lolicon" will take it in the worst possible way.

Whether it's used as a light joke or a severe accusation, anyone that actually needs a translation will assume the character is the worst scum. And this can badly damage not just people's perception of the character but the show's reputation as well by association.

Because what matters here isn't textbook definitions, it's what people will understand and interpret.

Words are a powerful thing and thus controversial ones must be used carefully.
So you want to bank on your audience's ignorance of Otaku terms To misled them? People don't like being lied to unless you are a magician
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:36 pm Reply with quote
So you want to bank on your audience's ignorance of Otaku terms To misled them? People don't like being lied to unless you are a magician

What are you even talking about?
If you put "pedophile" in the subtitles, people will take it in the absolute worst way possible. Period. No amount of TN or wishful thinking will change that.
So if they aren't supposed to interpret the worst possible meaning, then you MUST use a different word or synonim that conveys the correct meaning AND nuance. Like, just "pedo" would already be a better word for lighthearted contexts than outright "pedophile".
StarfighterPegasus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:

What are you even talking about?
If you put "pedophile" in the subtitles, people will take it in the absolute worst way possible. Period. No amount of TN or wishful thinking will change that.
So if they aren't supposed to interpret the worst possible meaning, then you MUST use a different word or synonim that conveys the correct meaning AND nuance. Like, just "pedo" would already be a better word for lighthearted contexts than outright "pedophile".
Lolicon is already taken with a negative context in anime and in Japan Its no different from pedo. Using terminology to dance around is dishonest. The audience are not idiots they can use a search engine. Is what I'm saying. I apologize if I came off vague.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Language has Nuance that IS recognized by the wielder of the language.

There is a point to using one term that is "VERY SIMILAR" to another term, you can argue that "Lolicon is a Pedophile from where I am standing" but to ignore the trend that you have a group of people communicating attempting to point out that under a context there would be a difference in use of the terms is an attempt to blind oneself to situational reality.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6