• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Kakuriyo -Bed & Breakfast for Spirits- Blu-ray Part 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:23 am Reply with quote
I was pleasantly surprised with how much I ended up enjoying this series. I think a lot of that comes from Aoi being, like Rebecca said in the review, a strong female character who doesn't fall into the category of a character who is just as good as the boys, but happens to be female. That tends to come off to me as an easy shortcut for writers to take. Aoi's opening move of accepting the debt, but making payment on her terms pretty much sold me on the story.

Also, I had to make sure I was eating or had eaten supper before watching each episode since the food would end up making me hungry otherwise.
zztop

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:29 am Reply with quote
Fun fact - Kakuriyo's author is also writing another spinoff LN series, Asakusa Oniyome Nikki (Asakusa Demon Bride Diary) that takes place in the same Kakuriyo universe.
https://lbunko.kadokawa.co.jp/special/oniyome/

spoiler[That one revolves around 2 highschool students, Kaoru and Maki, who are the reincarnations of great youkai Shuten Doji and his wife Ibaraki, respectively. It's largely an SOL series taking place in the human world, esp. around Asakusa, focusing on their daily lives, romance and connections with past and present friends and enemies. (Ex. Odanna was best friends with Shuten Doji.)

The series also reveals that humans in the Kakuriyo -verse are very aware of ayakashi existing, and there are agencies handling ayakashi cases. One of Aoi's relatives, Akane, is revealed to be both one such agent and powerful onmyoji, whose powers is equal to those of Aoi.]
pirateaddict
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:43 am Reply with quote
I absolutely loved this anime and have already bought this disc and will preorder part 2 this week. A very good review which sums up why I like this story and it definitely doesn't hurt that it has a stellar dub cast. I'm looking forward to seeing more in the future.
poltroon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:45 pm Reply with quote
I loved watching this show; it would be well worth a purchase. It's one that is definitely amenable to rewatching. The characters are all solid, intelligent, and have clear internal motivation. I enjoyed watching Aoi build her relationships to the other characters, and it was fun to watch her cook as well. I too appreciated that she was a strong woman who nevertheless is still buffeted by her story and surroundings; she takes control when she can and rides the rapids when she can't.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:15 pm Reply with quote
I remember when this first came out I dismissed it at the time because I felt like it was too similar to Ancient Magus' Bride which had just finished airing and the animation didn't impress me much. But it sounds like it has enough going for it on it's own merits to make it worth checking out, so I might give it a second chance, thanks to this review.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1