• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Crunchyroll Removes English Dubs for Senko-san, Strike Witches 501st, Isekai Quartet, Million Arthur

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevruth
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:12 am Reply with quote
Funimation does carry season 2 of Million Arthur.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:10 am Reply with quote
Darn, I was beginning to think (hope) that with the Funi coop deal gone CR was going to be doing their own dubs and Senko-san and the others were the beginning. Did Sony/Funi get on them to stop? Now what??
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:14 am Reply with quote
kevruth wrote:
Funimation does carry season 2 of Million Arthur.

Yeah they did I even checked and sure enough it's still there on funimation. They were dubbing both season 1 and season 2 simultaneously last season
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:16 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Darn, I was beginning to think (hope) that with the Funi coop deal gone CR was going to be doing their own dubs and Senko-san and the others were the beginning. Did Sony/Funi get on them to stop? Now what??

Those were always dubbed by funimation they were never a crunchyroll licensed in house dub. (I wish crunchyroll would start doing in house dubs but that's another conversation)
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:19 am Reply with quote
Funimation also announced that the Japanese versions for these shows will be leaving FunimationNow. https://www.funimation.com/forum/topic/19027/coming-and-going-at-the-beginning-of-august
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:15 am Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
Funimation also announced that the Japanese versions for these shows will be leaving FunimationNow. https://www.funimation.com/forum/topic/19027/coming-and-going-at-the-beginning-of-august

Interesting. I would guess that this is the result of contracts with Japan expiring, but it was a very short-lived arrangement for these shows. It's kind of a shame since I liked the idea of them sharing content, even if the formal partnership ended.

This sudden change also highlights why I'm still an avid collector of physical media, even when streaming is the big push these days. Seemingly out of nowhere, content you had access to can disappear or be placed behind another subscription.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:24 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
This sudden change also highlights why I'm still an avid collector of physical media, even when streaming is the big push these days. Seemingly out of nowhere, content you had access to can disappear or be placed behind another subscription.

This is exactly why I still hard-copy purchase anything I think I might watch or read more than once.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
This is exactly why I still hard-copy purchase anything I think I might watch or read more than once.

I do too, but some things just don't seem to be releasing that way such as Konosuba Blurays. Is Quartet getting a BD release either?
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Darn, I was beginning to think (hope) that with the Funi coop deal gone CR was going to be doing their own dubs and Senko-san and the others were the beginning.

If the show was getting a simuldub on Funimation than it was just Crunchyroll temporarily licensing the Funimation dub. There are only a handful of shows that have gotten dubbed by Crunchyroll such as Konosuba and Shield Hero. Sadly it looks like Crunchyroll will on average dub about one show per season.
Siegfriedl88

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:40 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Key wrote:

I do too, but some things just don't seem to be releasing that way such as Konosuba Blurays. Is Quartet getting a BD release either?

which is annoying....i keep praying for a physical release, but it never seems too happen, hell id settle for DVD only at this point
nDroae

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Re: Crunchyroll-produced non-Funimation dubs, rather than putting together their own in-house team, what they've been doing so far is outsourcing them:

Quote:
Crunchyroll has been heavily involved in the production of dubs for years with our partner studios at BangZoom, Studiopolis, Funimation, Ocean, and more.

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2018/11/09/got-dubs-crunchyroll-boosts-english-dub-library-with-crunchyroll-dubs

There was a lot of confusion after that announcement, with some shows' dubs being suddenly removed and later re-added.
Kosaka

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad Crunchyroll gave people some advanced notice.
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:29 pm Reply with quote
nDroae wrote:
Re: Crunchyroll-produced non-Funimation dubs, rather than putting together their own in-house team, what they've been doing so far is outsourcing them

Kind of what I was thinking, although they are a part of the Warner group now so they could go with a sister company within that group if they wanted to do their own from now on.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Dumpster fire situation is what this is. Ever since everyone making anime trying get into the streaming business, they're all trying make grab for the cash.

Dividing pie up more and likely risking shutdowns and quite possibility causing people to walk away from a mess this is making.

Crunchyroll is in deep doo doo unless they can find another source to important from.

I have ill feelings towards Funimation as is.
nDroae

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Wrangler wrote:
Crunchyroll is in deep doo doo unless they can find another source to important from.

Source for what? You can't mean for dubs, since we've already mentioned three dubbing studios beside Funimation that they've worked with...?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1