• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - What the Hell is Happening in Arifureta - From Commonplace to World's Strongest

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aereus

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Would be curious to know if Arifureta had any influence on So I'm A Spider, So What? in that sense. (That one also involves a whole class being transported, but it's a reincarnation isekai rather than a straight one.) It came out in WN form about a year and a half before Spider.

Highly likely, especially early on when there was a far smaller pool of isekai to read from. It sparked off a huge amount of interest where you would see a lot of people iterating on the same basic ideas that resonated with them.
myskaros

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:24 pm Reply with quote
aereus wrote:
Key wrote:
Would be curious to know if Arifureta had any influence on So I'm A Spider, So What? in that sense. (That one also involves a whole class being transported, but it's a reincarnation isekai rather than a straight one.) It came out in WN form about a year and a half before Spider.

Highly likely, especially early on when there was a far smaller pool of isekai to read from. It sparked off a huge amount of interest where you would see a lot of people iterating on the same basic ideas that resonated with them.

While I wouldn't be surprised if it was influenced, I also believe the setup is different enough that I'd probably lean towards not influenced. "Entire class gets transported together and has to work together" is vastly different from "entire class gets reincarnated and randomly meet up in their new world."
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:00 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:

I don't know what his opinion of the current production is, but I can't imagine it's a particularly glowing one.

He'd have to have a huge set of balls to have problems with this production given how his complaints allegedly led to this to begin with.

Chrono1000 wrote:
Also when it comes to family and morality I think that most isekai light novel series are better than many of the movies released by Hollwood. I am baffled when people say they want anime to be like Hollywood movies

I'd almost be willing to bet when you hear that it's more for the idea of anime being as mainstream as most hollywood productions since most anime is not as we know too popular and well known in the U.S.
LegalLoliLover1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Izanagi009 wrote:
As for Yue, that seems like a metatextual mess due to the visual age, the personality, the nudity and the current environment around the idea of "loli" characters.

What? Yue is the whole reason that I'm watching this series, as you can probably guess from my username and the fact that my first 2 posts on this forum were for Vampire Bund and this series.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:54 am Reply with quote
After watching the old key visual... I think we got the best out fo two posibilities; the old key visual reminded me of kanon/air by toei, so I prefer whatever the heck we are getting to the former posibility.
FlareKnight

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:55 pm Reply with quote
This has been painful to watch. Arifureta isn't some genius story or the greatest isekai ever. But it had the potential to be good and entertaining. I haven't seen something I was reasonably anticipating bungled this badly in a while. The visuals (that hydra) have been ugly at best. Although I shouldn't be surprised. It took them months to fix the preview trailer in turning a red fireball into the blue colour it was supposed to be. That they couldn't animate a hydra without it looking like a 1995 game creation isn't shocking.

But it has just been rough overall. The pacing, the adaptation choices, and characterization has really suffered. This could have been so much better. But instead it just gets thrown onto the pile of butchered adaptations that actively convince people never to look into any other adaptation or source material.

I suppose the universe had to balance out Symphogear XV being so incredibly awesome with an adaptation for something I was looking forward to being so terribly bad.
Josh Bickel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Seriously, I've not laughed so hard in a long while before reading this. I agree with a lot of what was said, but not everything. A lot of the visuals, especially the snake(so bad it didn't look good enough to be with the rest of the bad), but the story telling(or not telling really, wasn't so bad. Even where a lot of pages of the mange were ripped up and smashed together they still kept them in, just without dialogue or sequences. For instance when he was making the gun, all of the bits of trash he left made me realize he had spent a lot of time making a working one. Also, things like when he talks about testing things or when he's transforming there are shots and images(albeit only momentary ones) that made me realize a lot more was there than what they experienced in real time. This was before going back to the manga and seeing all that was really there. At that time I assumed it was just to crunch in a lot of story into a short anime run. That thought was in question when the snake ate an entire episode, but i figured that it just had a lot of significance.

I actually never read anything about the problems that the anime had though, so I wasn't focusing on them when i was watching. I think this allowed me to enjoy the show a lot more without keeping "PROBLEM!" in my head constantly. Maybe just a thought about judging not just this, but anything really for yourself before considering other peoples opinions Maybe like will be a bit more interesting.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3