• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Licenses Death Note Anime for Download

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheKurodaVagrant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:25 pm Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
Meh, actually, $5 is kind of a lot. I mean, it's about the same price you'd pay for a DVD, but with a DVD you get an actual, physical object that you can watch on anything with a DVD player, plus you have both subs and dubs, extras, cover art to drool at, and sometimes some nice inserts in the DVD box. $5 really is too much.

THANK YOU.

Maybe I'm just old-fashioned, but I have a problem with forking over cash for a product that I can't hold in my hands.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:40 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
bravo Viz, i hope other companies follow their example. now just put them at a reasonable cost.

I don't know what you think reasonable is but 2-3 dollars seems to be what everyone wants. At $5 you run the risk of too many people going back to the fansubs.

Lets take a look at the cost of this.

Number of episodes: 37 (according to ANN encyclopedia) at $2=74 dollars
Number of episodes: 37 at $3= 111 dollars
Number of episodes 37 at $5= 185 dollars

Realistically most of us would only get the newest episode starting at number 13.
So by that theory. 24 episodes at $2= 48 dollar
24 episodes at $3=72 dollars
24 episodes at $5=120 dollars.

And also if your going to purchase the DVDs for this series your looking at least nine dvds (assuming eight dvds with 4 episodes per DVD, and one dvd with 5 episodes on that dvd) that at least 20 dollars a dvd and possible 35 for an artbox.
So 35 + (8 x 20)= $195. then if you add in the lowest total for the down loadable episodes your looking at $243

Things start to add up.

Last edited by Deltakiral on Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Mabye for rent it is, but to buy it is actually more like $20-$30. Of course, all you would have to do is rent it if you wanted to watch it. But the whole Idea being a good one is not because of price, but because of the fact that they will be releasing them right out of Japan, wheras waiting for the DVD would take you longer to get through the series. That said, I would only rather buy the DVD or watch it on TV given the choice if I could only find it available on DVD or TV and/or I was trying to support the series by watching the dub version. They probably only make you pay $5 because it was the only way to legalize it. But oh well, I don't really even like Death Note that much anyways. It's a good series, but I find it hard to get into it for some reason.
Ryvius213

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:45 pm Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
Meh, actually, $5 is kind of a lot. I mean, it's about the same price you'd pay for a DVD, but with a DVD you get an actual, physical object that you can watch on anything with a DVD player, plus you have both subs and dubs, extras, cover art to drool at, and sometimes some nice inserts in the DVD box. $5 really is too much.
Actually, it's about $30 for a new DVD. used DVD's are usually about $5-10. $5 for one episode download is fairly normal.

Anyway, I'm a high school student, and my parents wouldn't allow me to pay for downloads. But I have no problem with this. If I have to wait for DVD's, then so be it. This is coming from a big Death Note fan, FYI.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:52 pm Reply with quote
[quote=TheKurodaVagrant"]This is essentially extortion; thousands if not millions of fans who have been enjoying the show through fansubs have been grabbed because of the intense, gripping, thrill-a-minute nature of the show. And now we are nearing the climax, and we have been cut off and have to pay to see the rest of the series.[/quote]

Oh please. I understand your disappointment (remembers Madlax being licensed the day before the last episode aired), but at least one group will continue to sub it. I saw a torrent for it uploaded today.

BrothersElric wrote:

And that is exactly why I think that Viz is doing this for the fans, and not just to fill their wallets. I mean, come on man! It's just a measly $2! Can you afford $2!

Anyways, I never meant to be so sappy with my last post, It's just that I think that Viz does more for the fans than they do for themselves, and I think that's the right attitude is all.

You are still giving them way, way too much credit. Quite frankly, Viz doesn't give a damn about us as long as they are making money, most of which comes from more casual fans.

Ryvius213 wrote:
Actually, it's about $30 for a new DVD. used DVD's are usually about $5-10. $5 for one episode download is fairly normal.

If you are foolish enough to pay full retail ($30) for a 4 episode DVD, you are paying $7.50 an episode. If you are paying the more normal (Best Buy) price, you are paying about $5.

As long as the fansubs are still out there, most fansub watches will continue to watch those instead for various reasons, the biggest reason being the fact that Viz will need to charge money for it.
TheKurodaVagrant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Yes, but with those episodes, you get physical media. This is just pure data, hopefully, unless they slip some sort of DRM software into it that auto-deletes after a certain number of views or a time period.

Deltakiral wrote:
v1cious wrote:
bravo Viz, i hope other companies follow their example. now just put them at a reasonable cost.

I don't know what you think reasonable is but 2-3 dollars seems to be what everyone wants. At $5 you run the risk of too many people going back to the fansubs.

Realistically most of us would only get the newest episode starting at number 13.

And also if your going to purchase the DVDs for this series your looking at least nine dvds (assuming eight dvds with 4 episodes per DVD, and one dvd with 5 episodes on that dvd) that at least 20 dollars a dvd and possible 35 for an artbox.
So 35 + (8 x 20)= $195. then if you add in the lowest total for the down loadable episodes your looking at $243

Things start to add up.

Again, thanks for using logic and math here. Pure data should not cost $120.00.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:04 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:

You are still giving them way, way too much credit. Quite frankly, Viz doesn't give a damn about us as long as they are making money, most of which comes from more casual fans.

I think the fact that it was their Idea to do Toonami Jetstream (which is free however limited, by the way) and the fact that they do everything in their power to make sure they give us a true to the original, very well done dub to pleas the FANS, and not themselves, is enough proof for me! This is just one more thing to add to all that as proof! As I said before, the only reason they are charging us is probably because it was the only way to legalize it!
Strephon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
[And also if your going to purchase the DVDs for this series your looking at least nine dvds (assuming eight dvds with 4 episodes per DVD, and one dvd with 5 episodes on that dvd) that at least 20 dollars a dvd and possible 35 for an artbox.

Things start to add up.

And if you import the R2 DVDs, that's 19 volumes at $40 each, so that's another $760 on top of it all.

Or if you wait until the thinpak version comes out, you can pick up the physical DVDs at Right Stuf for $10 for the artbox + disc and $7 for each additional disc, for a total cost of $66--less than the cost of the whole series at $2/episode. If you've already downloaded the series at that price, you're still getting it for less than the cost of buying it new--and you can afford to wait at that point, because you've already seen the entire series and made backups of the episodes.

Or you could just wait and buy the DVDs when they come out. No one's being forced to buy both versions, you know.
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
v1cious wrote:

Things start to add up.

yeah but it's a lifestyle choice. i'm not saying every person's gonna go along with it, but people will, whether they want good quality or are just impatient. it's the same reason people pay Itunes in the first place. i do agree with those who said you should be able to keep the media thoug. anyways let's see what happens. they sort of have the upper hand right now, as both groups subbing Death Note were legit. this could either be a massive success or a colossal failure.

Last edited by v1cious on Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
the fact that they do everything in their power to make sure they give us a true to the original

In anime, perhaps. They are notorious for editing their manga quite frequently, and often it makes little sense. What point is their in editing nudity in volume 20, when there was already worse six volumes earlier?

Quote:
very well done dub to pleas the FANS

A lot of the dub aspect is subjective. The Bleach dub is a mixed bag, IMO, from the portions I've seen. While the Full Moon dub wasn't too bad (I don't remember much of what I saw nearly a year ago), there is no signs & songs only subtitle track, meaning dub viewers won't know what the heck is being sung or what signs say unless they turn the subtitles on. It seems they used to not even bother subtitling songs at all, and that was a big concern among us Full Moon fans before the first volume came out. That is NOT a "well done dub" and that, along with a quarterly release, certainly does not "please the fans".
Ohoni

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:25 pm Reply with quote
It's a little late for "soon after it airs in Japan", the series is already more than three months in in Japan, unless they plan to catch up very quickly. It sounds like a good idea though, and I hope more shows are licsenced like this.
infernus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Seems like a good idea (reminds me a lot of Live Marketplace), just as long as the subs don't suck. I've seen plenty of fansubbers do better jobs (and hell, make it look prettier too) than DVD subs.
domino

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Now THIS is more like it. Finally a company doing something smart to stand up against fansubs. This is exactly what I want from a company -- a subbed-only release that I can watch soon after it airs in Japan (while it's still "fresh" and open for discussion).

I hope they do more releases like this in the future, because it's more convenient than buying a DVD when I only want to watch the episode once, as I would be able to if I had Japanese TV. It's great that so much anime is on American TV nowadays, but it's been really inconvenient for people like me who can't stand dubbed anime...
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Finally a company doing something smart to stand up against fansubs.

This isn't going to do a thing to stop fansubs. As I said before, if their goal is simply to try to get the people that just download fansubs and don't buy DVDs, this probably won't turn out too well. Of the people who ONLY watch fansubs (or pirated DVD rips), few are going to suddenly start spending money on this. There are various reasons, but the biggest one is simply the fact that it costs money. Not to mention the fansubs already have a 12 episode lead and counting. They want it free and they want it NOW.

Other people will likely be turned off by DRM issues. And then there are those of us who have no problem paying for DVDs, but don't want to pay money for downloads (I'd fall in that category).

Depending on how Viz does this, it could work out great. But if they just try to grab the fansub viewers and/or people who would normally buy the DVDs.... this will probably not work too well.
mufurc

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:52 pm Reply with quote
domino wrote:
Now THIS is more like it. Finally a company doing something smart to stand up against fansubs.

Except that fansubs are faster, free and available everywhere, and they're easy to handle. I'm betting that this will only be available for the US/North America. The idea is good, the execution is... well. We'll see. I'm very curious of how this will turn out.

In any case, this is a good idea to advertise the show - if someone is just curious he can download a few episodes to see what the show is like. But yeah, as others have already said, it's no DVD.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7