• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Licenses Death Note Anime for Download

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mufurc

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:25 am Reply with quote
Charred Toast wrote:
For those that think they will be able to continue stealing free fan subs, I think you are kidding yourselves. I willing to bet that there will be a crackdown on groups that illegally sub licensed material.

The thing is, it only takes a raw video file and one person with some free time and a subber program to "fansub" anime. Death Note may be licensed, but subtitle files are already circulating in the fandom. *shrug* Unless they shut down the Internet or something, people will find a way around such complications.

Besides, if the Death Note downloads will only be available in the USA/North America I won't think twice about continuing to download fansubs (or subtitles, as it is), and I won't blame anyone who does the same. It's so easy for Americans to talk about domestically available anime and buying episodes and stuff, but people for whom anime is not so easily available take what they can.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Charred Toast wrote:

To the people who say they will not buy non-physical media: Well it worked for music. People were stealing music like crazy until the crackdown came, and music was available to download legally. It is going to happen with video as well. There needs to be a legal alternative. If you are willing to download fansubs, then you must not mind watching non-physical media. Physical media will be phased out over time. Just ask your local music store. Oh wait, it went out of business.

Um, you know, there's no reason to be like that to those of us who want DVDs. Most of us who are saying that aren't people who download fansubs after the show is released (and some of us don't at all). I never buy full albums off of iTunes, either--I prefer physical CDs, which is what I buy when I want the full album.

Oh, and if my local music store closes, I'd be willing to bet it's because of Amazon as much as iTunes.

Physical mediums are still viable. Think about eBooks--how many people read eBooks, even though they've been out forever? No, most people still go to librarys, bookstores, or go online and order a book. There's no reason to trash us for wanting to have physical proof that we own something, as well as the ability to use what we bought wherever we want, when we want.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Lucie.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:22 am Reply with quote
Ok first off, Viz has never really been very good at dubbing or subbing anime. In the past they have been known to edit the content of an anime so much that it is far from what the original creators of the show ever intended it to be. Especially in the case of an anime like Death Note (which I love). That show is very complex and not made for children. I mean look at what they did to One Piece! After they got through with it, it was completely different from the Japanese version.

Also, I can not even express how upset I am that they have asked all fan subbing sites (such as kuro-hana), to stop subbing the show right before the LAST TWO EPISODES ARE RELEASED! I know they haven’t given all the details on what is going to happen to the show now, but if I don’t get to see the last two episodes of this show I will be very sad.

I don’t know about the rest of you, but I am very upset that Viz got the rights to this wonderful anime.

Lucie.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:04 am Reply with quote
Yeah, those plans for "Quick releases" didn't exactly go to plan, did they?

Honestly, People need to time these "Series Get"s better.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:24 am Reply with quote
Lucie. wrote:
Ok first off, Viz has never really been very good at dubbing or subbing anime. In the past they have been known to edit the content of an anime so much that it is far from what the original creators of the show ever intended it to be. Especially in the case of an anime like Death Note (which I love). That show is very complex and not made for children. I mean look at what they did to One Piece! After they got through with it, it was completely different from the Japanese version.

Except it was 4Kids who got One Piece, not Viz. Get your facts right before ranting.
Lucie.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:40 am Reply with quote
[quote="DemonEyesLeo"]
Lucie. wrote:
Except it was 4Kids who got One Piece, not Viz. Get your facts right before ranting.

your so right im sorry i dont know what i was thinking.

other examples;
Bleach
Naruto
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Lucie. wrote:
other examples;
Bleach
Naruto

Naruto: minor edits with blood, violence and some language; other than that everything remains, even deaths.

Bleach: completely unedited, but if it is they've been so insignificant that nobody has noticed.

The dubs are what you make of them, but there has been little to no editing of either show in terms of content.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Lucie. wrote:
Also, I can not even express how upset I am that they have asked all fan subbing sites (such as kuro-hana), to stop subbing the show right before the LAST TWO EPISODES ARE RELEASED! I know they haven’t given all the details on what is going to happen to the show now, but if I don’t get to see the last two episodes of this show I will be very sad.

Yeah damn Viz and them wanting to protect their license, and darn those fansub groups who broke their code. Don't worry you can see those last two episode, either on DVD or Direct2drive. And that will cost you a whole two dollars for the later choice.

Lucie. wrote:
other examples;Naruto

Wait what are you upset about with Naruto, there are standard releases of this series and then there are uncut boxes. I am not sure how that isn't a sweet deal, had it been 4kids we would of never seen uncut dvds for Naruto, in fact they probably would of change Naruto name to Nick.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
Yeah damn Viz and them wanting to protect their license, and darn those fansub groups who broke their code. Don't worry you can see those last two episode, either on DVD or Direct2drive. And that will cost you a whole two dollars for the later choice.

Of course, this doesn't help me since you must be a US citizen to use direct2drive, which was a completely ass-headed decision on Viz's part since they're supposed to be distributing the title to ALL of North America.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:
Of course, this doesn't help me since you must be a US citizen to use direct2drive, which was a completely ass-headed decision on Viz's part since they're supposed to be distributing the title to ALL of North America.

But there are different rules when it comes to Canada and the US, its the same on Xbox live marketplace. Canada isn't able to get all the content we get in the US due to certain laws, there are always going to be certain rules that suck you just have to work around them.......
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
Pepperidge wrote:

But there are different rules when it comes to Canada and the US, its the same on Xbox live marketplace. Canada isn't able to get all the content we get in the US due to certain laws, there are always going to be certain rules that suck you just have to work around them.......

No, that's not really the case. There are many routes Viz could've taken to deliver this content to all of North America (like other companies have in the past), but instead chose a service that caters specifically to the US. And technically they haven't given us any way to "work around" the situation.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:01 am Reply with quote
mufurc wrote:
Besides, if the Death Note downloads will only be available in the USA/North America I won't think twice about continuing to download fansubs (or subtitles, as it is), and I won't blame anyone who does the same. It's so easy for Americans to talk about domestically available anime and buying episodes and stuff, but people for whom anime is not so easily available take what they can.
QFT like there's no tomorrow.

Seriously doods, I want to give you my money, and it's brittish pounds which become two of your american dolars when changed. Why for not wanting the pounds?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7