• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Shueisha's Shonen Jump+ iOS App in Japan Restricts Downloads to Users Aged 17+

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Is it that difficult to fool iOS into believing you’re 17 when you’re not? I kinda hope the English Manga Plus does this so that we can get more mature stuff. The couple desktop-only titles on Shonen Jump (Golden Kamuy and Platinum End) I’m never able to get to, although SJ and MP aren’t really the same.

In other news, Manga Plus just deleted the backlog to one of their most popular series, Spy x Family, which is not licensed, and so those chapters no longer have any legal access. Really bad decision on their part, as it was probably their flagship title that brought newcomers to the app/website.
harminia

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:07 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
In other news, Manga Plus just deleted the backlog to one of their most popular series, Spy x Family, which is not licensed, and so those chapters no longer have any legal access. Really bad decision on their part, as it was probably their flagship title that brought newcomers to the app/website.

Yeah, the deletion of backlog is annoying. Like, the site says "you can read everything! for free!" but then they remove the middle of the series. I get it, you don't want to supply everything for free... but it means if I start a series (like I started reading that Yui Kamio whatever thing), I get to a point where I basically have to go read some illegal manga site just to catch up. Makes it super hard for people who have jumped into a series partway through. Good luck legally reading some 100+ chapter series from the start!

Damn, I'm glad I started reading SpyXFamily from like chapter 1 or 2, so I don't have to worry about the lockdown...
vanishingblood

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:10 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:

Wow, what scumbags! They deleted the middle of that and Hell's Paradise (which has been licensed by Viz), the two most popular Jump+ titles and some of the most popular on the entire app, while the other crap Jump+ ones are still all there. Real disappointing to see this greed in their business practice after the amazing idea of the entire app.
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:39 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:

Oh great, more piracy. And then they will whined that manga readers don't read manga on online "legally". Sorry, no sympathy for them. It's their fault for making of reading mangas legally more harder.
Replica_Rabbit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:30 pm Reply with quote
vanishingblood wrote:
LegitPancake wrote:

Wow, what scumbags! They deleted the middle of that and Hell's Paradise (which has been licensed by Viz), the two most popular Jump+ titles and some of the most popular on the entire app, while the other crap Jump+ ones are still all there. Real disappointing to see this greed in their business practice after the amazing idea of the entire app.

Greedy? They let the chapters there for months for people to catch up on it. They didn't do what Viz did with My Hero Academia when it first got in their magazine, they just throw us into the current arc at the time and we have to buy the volumes to catch up on it. I don't get why people are mad at Manga Plus, they never said they'll have a backlog and them taking Spy X Family mean they bringing it over
Anyway, Shueisha should fix that right away by having an age restriction in the app. It won't stop the kids, but it better than locking them out

Quote:
Oh great, more piracy. And then they will whined that manga readers don't read manga on online "legally". Sorry, no sympathy for them. It's their fault for making of reading mangas legally more harder.

How it harder? They let you read it (for free) for months. Manga Plus isn't a backlog site. Lastly, scanlation sites do the same thing and no one gets mad at them

Last edited by Replica_Rabbit on Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:10 am Reply with quote
I swear I remember Blue Flag having chapters missing, then they had them all up, and then (shortly after being licensed) took them down again. Hard to say what their plans are. Even the paid Shonen Jump app does something similar with Act Age, and Demon Slayer (only adds chapters between lile 60-120 as they release as collected volumes).

As for the age rating in Japan, why don't they make a separate app for kids that only contains SJ material?
kpossibles

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:19 am Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
Is it that difficult to fool iOS into believing you’re 17 when you’re not? I kinda hope the English Manga Plus does this so that we can get more mature stuff. The couple desktop-only titles on Shonen Jump (Golden Kamuy and Platinum End) I’m never able to get to, although SJ and MP aren’t really the same.

Hmm, I wonder if SPYxFAMILY got licensed into English if they removed the middle chapters? It seems like a dumb thing to do if there isn't a way to legally read the middle chapters as some people would be willing to pay to get them.

I just realized that they removed the middle chapters for Blue Flag too which is a bummer for new fans who want to catch up. https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/titles/100043
Cave

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:54 am Reply with quote
And yet they don't even allow content that is actually 17+ on any of their apps. What's the point of the age restrictions at all?

For anyone interested, there is a webcomic host site called Tapas that is currently dealing with their BS. Tapas is being forced to remove series from being searchable in the iOS app for even showing body hair. https://forums.tapas.io/t/pg13-level-comics-getting-removed-from-the-app/35877/33 Even though their app is rated 17+.
vanishingblood

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Replica_Rabbit wrote:
vanishingblood wrote:
LegitPancake wrote:

Greedy? They let the chapters there for months for people to catch up on it. They didn't do what Viz did with My Hero Academia when it first got in their magazine, they just throw us into the current arc at the time and we have to buy the volumes to catch up on it. I don't get why people are mad at Manga Plus, they never said they'll have a backlog and them taking Spy X Family mean they bringing it over
Anyway, Shueisha should fix that right away by having an age restriction in the app. It won't stop the kids, but it better than locking them out

They only removed the middles of those two Jump+ titles, which are in the top seven most popular on the entire app, while all the other Jump+ titles that no one care about are still there in full. That is clearly a money-motivated decision. "Oh snap, these series are actually good! We could be making money off them."

And as far as them not saying there'd be a backlog, that's true I believe. But each series gives its own update schedule and all the other Jump+ titles say "All chapters are free and ready to enjoy!", I bet that Spy x Family and Hell's Paradise used to say that too, until they got greedy. So that would be a change from what was previously written in the actual app.

Don't get me wrong, it's crazy that they're giving WSJ for free every week. But this clear deviation motivated by money is just disappointing.
Replica_Rabbit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:56 pm Reply with quote
vanishingblood wrote:
Replica_Rabbit wrote:
vanishingblood wrote:
LegitPancake wrote:

They only removed the middles of those two Jump+ titles, which are in the top seven most popular on the entire app, while all the other Jump+ titles that no one care about are still there in full. That is clearly a money-motivated decision. "Oh snap, these series are actually good! We could be making money off them."

And as far as them not saying there'd be a backlog, that's true I believe. But each series gives its own update schedule and all the other Jump+ titles say "All chapters are free and ready to enjoy!", I bet that Spy x Family and Hell's Paradise used to say that too, until they got greedy. So that would be a change from what was previously written in the actual app.

Don't get me wrong, it's crazy that they're giving WSJ for free every week. But this clear deviation motivated by money is just disappointing.

That what they do with the Manga that is licensed, all the Jump Starts does the same thing because they are licensed by VIZ and you can get them on the Viz app. It's them not wanting to step on VIZ feet (they ever said it in the FAQ). I would call them greedy if they selling the missing chapters on the app
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1