• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Victims Speak Out After Canada's Anime Revolution Con Allows Serial Harasser, Convicted Se

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Even though both men are terrible that FIRST guy is an absolute menace to society and shame on his mom for going up there to support him getting in that con knowing his criminal history. He shouldn’t be allowed anywhere near where children dwell. And neither of them have no remorse obviously or they wouldn’t have gone to the con in the first place, challenging what they can get away with. Ugh.
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:30 am Reply with quote
So, given the tone of the article, the solution that the authors would find satisfactory would be for anime conventions to prohibit "serial harassers" and convicted sex offenders from attending their events?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:43 am Reply with quote
My condolences go out to the victims and I'm very sorry that this happened to you, you have my deepest sympathies and I pray that your lives will get better

As for the predator, however (incoming rage)...

Bram Kleiman is a reason why pedophiles/sex offenders need life sentences or at the very least, required castration, or give him the death penalty. The way our justice system/our law handles predatory pedophiles is a [expletive] joke. Repeat offenders and sexual predators like him don't belong in society. Evil or Very Mad

And as someone with Asperger's myself, if you're reading this, you can burn in the fires of hell, for using that as an excuse, Kleiman. Autism/Aspergers doesn't equal grooming minors, the only thing that equals that are sick fucks like you who are attracted to minors. You’re a low life piece of shit who finds it easier and thinks it's totally OK to take advantage of young girls rather than communicating with a woman. Why? Not because of your autism. It’s because rather than dealing with your issues like a man and getting help, you play the victim card like a little 6 year old boy. You don’t want to face your demons nor put in the work it takes to live a productive normal life. The extra work people with autism have to put in. Mental disabilities don’t prevent you from being a good, productive member of society. Being a lazy, immature bum like this, afraid to deal with your problems, is what makes you, Kleiman, a worthless loser among our society.
And AniRevo, if you're reading this, fudge. YOU (and this Alex McMullen guy who was another sex offender who was allowed at the con). Hope your con shuts down, this is just like the incident that happened where it was revealed a security guard at Bronycon was a predatory pedophile who preyed on four underage girls online, and the idiots in charge of that convention also showed no remorse, contrition, made no attempt to the people the apologized and screwed over, stayed silent, swept it under the rug and moved on like nothing ever happened. Evil or Very Mad

Yeah, I'm sorry for all the cussing and such, but I DETEST pedophiles and when predators pull out that excuse, and would hate to have all autistic people labelled like that, recently there was another pedo guy who pulled the same card online after doing incredibly disturbing stuff with minors, did finger pointing and blaming and lies about it, and the only thing he got was his mother (who also did such a piss poor job raising him) restricting him from the Internet social media which is just pathetic and not much of a punishment. Evil or Very Mad

Last edited by Sailor Sedna on Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:46 am; edited 1 time in total
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:44 am Reply with quote
The purpose of the article, like all articles of this nature, is to help readers decide what THEY want, what solutions they feel are necessary for this convention or any event, if they think one is needed at all. This is a rather strange...I'm not sure if it's even an accusation? The quotations around "serial harasser" are odd so I can't tell if there's a double meaning in the question or not.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
harminia

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:49 am Reply with quote
CorneredAngel wrote:
So, given the tone of the article, the solution that the authors would find satisfactory would be for anime conventions to prohibit "serial harassers" and convicted sex offenders from attending their events?

Or at least, if they've banned someone from a con before for creeper behaviour, keep his ban instead of randomly overturning it without consulting people.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:01 am Reply with quote
The content of the story with Carla and this pedophile/harasser is baffling. Why would the father repeatedly let in someone that his daughter had absolutely no desire to see, especially given that she filed police reports and everything. The other stories are definitely textbook online harassment and the dude has no place at any convention or any gathering of kids.
SomeGuy1138

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:43 am Reply with quote
Hi, local Vancouver resident here.

This particular post is just the tip of the iceberg. There have been years of issues and controversies surrounding Anime Revolution and it only really came to a head this summer after a whole swath of people finally got tired of just shrugging their shoulders about them.

Admittedly, the stuff with Bram and Alex was definitely a catalyst in getting people especially angry; these two guys are pretty infamous in the local convention scene. As time went on and the knowledge of their attendance at Anime Revolution became more well known, more and more survivors of theirs came out to tell their stories and keep momentum moving until (and well after) Can NGO finally made an official statement.

On that note, I feel it’s worth appreciating that Can’s statements to ANN come after extensive time refining and editing his thoughts. His original, now unshareable, response to these two individuals in a Facebook post from August 12th (the day after the convention) was this:

Quote:
Thank you for everyone coming to the event! I apologize that I was unable to post the following statement in a more timely manner.

My name is Can Ngo and I am the President of Anime Revolution. Over the past few days, we have had an incredible amount of libel and slander thrown at us. Claims of us knowingly admitting in convicted pedophiles or ignoring "evidence".

These claims are simply untrue. We are not strangers to this type of treatment and apparently all cons go through these types of things, but this year, I am making the decision to lock certain threads (I will explain later why).

This is a volunteer run organization. We run it as an incorporated company (not a non-profit) but "profit" is not something easily made by any company (however, there seems to be this growing idea that I'm some sort of overlord profitting off the hard work of others). Our books will tell you (if you care) that we were in the red for our first 3years. In that time, I chose to just continue to eat that financial loss because I loved the people I worked with and the things we were doing.

In recent years, we were able to break even and actually put sizeable deposits toward our venue and guests so that we could better plan the event (my stress levels were very thankful for this).

My real job is being a new father and being an assistant at my wife's nursery school in Japan.

Anyhow, the point I'm trying to make is that myself and everyone on the team are doing this because we all love anime. When I interviewed the volunteer staff (blue shirts) and volunteers (pink shirts), I never included that part of their responsibility would be to have to endure all this cyber bullying.

It saddens me to say this but the recent posts and online cyber bullying has led to a suicide attempt. I'm sickened by it and I'm sorry to everyone that has been affected in anyway by it. For this reason, I am locking those threads. Please understand that I'm not trying to diminish the hurt or pain that the victims had to endure. I do however want to stop the violence.

To all the volunteer staff and volunteers in AR, I am so sorry you had to endure all of this. You all deserve so much better. Your hard work and willingness to stay silent instead of inciting an online flame war is amazing. Your decision to continue volunteering despite all this unfounded hate is inspiring. I will never be able to thank you enough.

To the concerned, even if these allegations against us were true, the Convention Centre (a government owned building), with their phenomenal staff and the VPD (who were at the event) would never allow such a thing to happen.

Finally, to the critics that are making these claims that we don't care or that we don't take this seriously, here is my personal cellphone number: {XXXXXXXXXX}.

I will answer any and all of your concerns and dispel any of the rumours you may have about the team and the safety of the con.

Thank you,
Can.

Also worth noting is that the “suicide attempt” mentioned allegedly came from Alex McMullen after all of this news broke. I can also link some screenshots of said statement if anyone wants a copied source (as I said, AR turned off a LOT of share options on the posts from their Facebook page after this all went down).

But yeah. Tip of the iceberg.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:54 am Reply with quote
SomeGuy1138 wrote:

On that note, I feel it’s worth appreciating that Can’s statements to ANN come after extensive time refining and editing his thoughts.

That's not actually accurate. Ngo gave ANN his statement on August 13.

SomeGuy1138 wrote:
Also worth noting is that the “suicide attempt” mentioned allegedly came from Alex McMullen after all of this news broke. .

That's also a rumor, similar to Ngo's claim that Bram was in the hospital and so he was not present at the convention on Saturday. ANN couldn't substantiate it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SomeGuy1138

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:10 am Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
SomeGuy1138 wrote:

On that note, I feel it’s worth appreciating that Can’s statements to ANN come after extensive time refining and editing his thoughts.

That's not actually accurate. Ngo gave ANN his statement on August 13.

SomeGuy1138 wrote:
Also worth noting is that the “suicide attempt” mentioned allegedly came from Alex McMullen after all of this news broke. .

That's also a rumor, similar to Ngo's claim that Bram was in the hospital and so he was not present at the convention on Saturday. ANN couldn't substantiate it.

Fair enough. It’s been a long week and a lot of people are still figuring out a few timelines for when all the statements came out. Definitely, being the number of years we’re discussing does unfortunately mean a lot of the history and testimony is coming through word of mouth, and concrete, presentable evidence (while still more than expected) has been difficult to nail down for specific details to these incidents.

Thanks for the heads up on this part of the story, octopodpie. We appreciate the work you guys have done to bring this story to light.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:22 am Reply with quote
CorneredAngel wrote:

Well... yeah. Isn't that common sense? Cons have a duty to protect attendees, which means banning anyone who threatens the safety of others. If it were a guy who had a history of punching other attendees, this wouldn't even be up for discussion.
Aresef

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:24 am Reply with quote
It's not feasible for conventions to do background checks on attendees, but they should generally act on information that comes into their possession.

However, they should act as soon as they can on credible information that comes into their possession and do so in a timely manner. That didn't happen here.

And it's not directly related, but I think conventions ought to run background checks on staffers, if they're not doing them already. I'm not leveling any allegations here, but especially nowadays, conventions should be as careful as possible. I was listening to an episode of Diane Rehm's podcast about the scandal that could topple the Boy Scouts of America and one of the problems is it leaves vetting to scouters' fellow adult leaders who may not know of a person's history (and aren't equipped to know the warning signs).
GNX903VSBrave

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:32 am Reply with quote
Somewhat unrelated but I have heard from my local anime community (also in Western Canada) that AniRevo is also under fire for denying entry to a service dog at this year's event and for apparently misleading Artist Alley vendors regarding the amount of table space they paid for. There is now an organized boycott movement on Facebook with 400 members based on this multi faceted disaster.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:12 pm Reply with quote
GNX903VSBrave wrote:
Somewhat unrelated but I have heard from my local anime community (also in Western Canada) that AniRevo is also under fire for denying entry to a service dog at this year's event and for apparently misleading Artist Alley vendors regarding the amount of table space they paid for. There is now an organized boycott movement on Facebook with 400 members based on this multi faceted disaster.

Yikes. That's a delicate situation. Refusing entry to a legitimate service animal is a big screwup, but it's also a tricky minefield to navigate given how many people abuse the concept of "emotional support animals".

And, of course, factor in the internet hate machine and...yeah...multi faceted disaster is right.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:58 pm Reply with quote
risingtsun wrote:
I think it would have been great for Anime News Network to have reached out to SFU / SFU Anime as well, as Kleiman has been banned from SFU Anime's annual Summer Festival, as well as all SFU campuses for over a year now.

This has now been added to the story.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:21 am Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
CorneredAngel wrote:

Or at least, if they've banned someone from a con before for creeper behaviour, keep his ban instead of randomly overturning it without consulting people.

It is called fear of litigation.

As the gatekeeper on the ground at the event, it would have been their name, along with whatever org, inc, or person who was running the convention that would be at the top of any lawsuit. Whether the complainants would have won or not, the gatekeeper would be on the hook in any lawsuit. Having his time wasted and the loss of personal money to pay lawyer fees. It is quite easy to see why he was let in, no one wants to be sued.

Sounds like evil son, and mom were prepared for trouble, and had their reasons ready and their paperwork handy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3