• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Victims Speak Out After Canada's Anime Revolution Con Allows Serial Harasser, Convicted Se

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:54 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
harminia wrote:
CorneredAngel wrote:
So, given the tone of the article, the solution that the authors would find satisfactory would be for anime conventions to prohibit "serial harassers" and convicted sex offenders from attending their events?

Or at least, if they've banned someone from a con before for creeper behaviour, keep his ban instead of randomly overturning it without consulting people.

It is called fear of litigation.

As the gatekeeper on the ground at the event, it would have been their name, along with whatever org, inc, or person who was running the convention that would be at the top of any lawsuit. Whether the complainants would have won or not, the gatekeeper would be on the hook in any lawsuit. Having his time wasted and the loss of personal money to pay lawyer fees. It is quite easy to see why he was let in, no one wants to be sued.

Sounds like evil son, and mom were prepared for trouble, and had their reasons ready and their paperwork handy.

Yeah, the part about arriving the day of the convention with that letter sounds like a calculated move to get someone worried about a lawsuit and provide them with no time for consideration or consultation with a lawyer.

Last edited by Greed1914 on Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:00 am; edited 1 time in total
kpossibles

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:58 am Reply with quote
SomeGuy1138 wrote:
On that note, I feel it’s worth appreciating that Can’s statements to ANN come after extensive time refining and editing his thoughts. His original, now unshareable, response to these two individuals in a Facebook post from August 12th (the day after the convention) was this:

Quote:
My real job is being a new father and being an assistant at my wife's nursery school in Japan.

But yeah. Tip of the iceberg.

I am just like... so does the president of the convention not even live in Canada??? He's like 100% displaced from the concerns of local convention goers since he doesn't even live even on the same continent anymore. The convention board of directors should vote in a new president, especially after he let this stuff happen.

---

Utsuro no Hako wrote:
CorneredAngel wrote:
So, given the tone of the article, the solution that the authors would find satisfactory would be for anime conventions to prohibit "serial harassers" and convicted sex offenders from attending their events?

Well... yeah. Isn't that common sense? Cons have a duty to protect attendees, which means banning anyone who threatens the safety of others. If it were a guy who had a history of punching other attendees, this wouldn't even be up for discussion.

Conventions unfortunately cannot prevent harassers from attending iirc but if someone has a restraining order against a person, the convention safety team will work together with the local police to enforce the rules and remove a person from the premises.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:10 pm Reply with quote
kpossibles wrote:

Conventions unfortunately cannot prevent harassers from attending iirc but if someone has a restraining order against a person, the convention safety team will work together with the local police to enforce the rules and remove a person from the premises.

Surely someone can ask the harasser to leave, and if they do not comply then the police can be called to remove them for trespassing? This assumes the convention is held in a private venue like a hotel or a convention center.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:32 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
It is called fear of litigation.

As the gatekeeper on the ground at the event, it would have been their name, along with whatever org, inc, or person who was running the convention that would be at the top of any lawsuit. Whether the complainants would have won or not, the gatekeeper would be on the hook in any lawsuit. Having his time wasted and the loss of personal money to pay lawyer fees. It is quite easy to see why he was let in, no one wants to be sued.

True, and a major problem in much of the western world is that sociopaths use the victim narrative to manipulate the legal system. In a conservative country if the police were called and heard what Kleiman had done they would have told him to leave. Instead the Canadian police said that it was up to the people running the con to decide whether he could attend even though they knew that the con would be afraid of getting sued.

Amibite wrote:
But this is all in America, Canada is a more liberal country and might allow sex offenders more freedom and rights than America does.

At the moment that is accurate but many of the criminal reform changes that happened in Canada are now being pushed in the United States.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:09 pm Reply with quote
This article made me feel physically ill.
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"I asked the then president why she didn't ban [Klieman] from events and she said she was threatened with a lawsuit by his mother."

The entire article made me ill. This quote, by itself, made me livid. I've heard of alcoholics and drug addicts having enablers, but this is an obscenity. I wonder if there's enough hard evidence of Mommy's behavior to file a civil suit under Canadian law.

I have a nephew on the spectrum, and have watched him grow since he was 4. I also know how much blood, sweat, and tears his single mother had to endure to make sure this kid grew up as straight and secure as he ended up being.
Crispy45

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:01 pm Reply with quote
SailorTralfamadore wrote:
Citation needed, please.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4939110/

15 out of 21 judges stated an individual’s diagnosis with an HFA would be an important factor in sentencing, describing it as an important factor because knowing that an offender has HFA can help judges, juries, or other criminal justice professionals understand if the condition potentially led to the committed criminal action. Further, twelve of these judges described HFA as either a mitigating or aggravating factor

Even some scholarly journals on the issue

https://scholarship.law.stjohns.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=6683&context=lawreview

The first category of crimes in which autism is a logical defense is minor sexual offenses. This is because an autistic individual may be susceptible to committing a minor sexual offense due to the characteristics of autism. An autistic individual's knowledge regarding sexuality and how to act in sexual scenarios is limited. But, despite being incorrectly viewed as sexually immature due to limited experience, autistic individuals are interested in their sexuality, romantic relationships, and marriage. Due to these limitations, an autistic individual has the potential to behave in an inappropriate sexual manner.

Quote:
This guy may be autistic, but the reason he's treating these women this way isn't because of his autism, it's because he is an entitled creep. Heck, reading it you can even see where he was raised that way, with how his mom threatens to sue anyone who doesn't want to spend time around her son. .

I already said it doesn't specifically apply to this guy. But that doesn't mean there aren't legitimate cases out there. I assume you already know this but there's varying degrees of ASD, so peoples own anecdotes are pretty irrelevant to the public at large.
ZiharkXVI

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:27 am Reply with quote
Ouran High School Dropout wrote:
Quote:
"I asked the then president why she didn't ban [Klieman] from events and she said she was threatened with a lawsuit by his mother."

The entire article made me ill. This quote, by itself, made me livid. I've heard of alcoholics and drug addicts having enablers, but this is an obscenity. I wonder if there's enough hard evidence of Mommy's behavior to file a civil suit under Canadian law.

I have a nephew on the spectrum, and have watched him grow since he was 4. I also know how much blood, sweat, and tears his single mother had to endure to make sure this kid grew up as straight and secure as he ended up being.

That bothered me as well. I don't know enough about Canadian law, but my guess is some sort of anti-discrimination suit. I would hope that in the efforts to stop a convicted sex offender from being around children an organization would be able to trespass them from the premises, but there is the fundamental idea that if they are no longer incarcerated a sex offender cannot be stopped from enjoying some freedoms (for example, just because someone is a convicted sex offender here in America, you don't get to tell them they can or cannot eat at a certain restaurant.) I would think that safety though would overcome this concern as conventions tend to have a fair amount of kids, and I would also tend to think I wouldn't want to be liable for him being there. I cannot assume that anyone wanted him to attend. Very bad publicity.

Anyways, just a thought on the people who are offended by the sex offender blaming his crime on Asperger's or whatever. People blame their own faults on a host of reasons - one interesting study on sex offenders was the number of them who claimed to be sexually abused as children. Something like 2/3rds claimed that as a factor in who they ended up being. That was pre-lie detector. Post lie-detector the number dropped to around 1/3rd. Still statistically significant to be interesting (and depressing), but not a majority. It is offensive to believe that any condition carries all of the responsibility for your crime. You still chose to do something completely evil.
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:04 am Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4939110/

15 out of 21 judges stated an individual’s diagnosis with an HFA would be an important factor in sentencing, describing it as an important factor because knowing that an offender has HFA can help judges, juries, or other criminal justice professionals understand if the condition potentially led to the committed criminal action. Further, twelve of these judges described HFA as either a mitigating or aggravating factor

Even some scholarly journals on the issue

https://scholarship.law.stjohns.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=6683&context=lawreview

The first category of crimes in which autism is a logical defense is minor sexual offenses. This is because an autistic individual may be susceptible to committing a minor sexual offense due to the characteristics of autism. An autistic individual's knowledge regarding sexuality and how to act in sexual scenarios is limited. But, despite being incorrectly viewed as sexually immature due to limited experience, autistic individuals are interested in their sexuality, romantic relationships, and marriage. Due to these limitations, an autistic individual has the potential to behave in an inappropriate sexual manner.

Unfortunately for you, I know enough legal speak to know that really only the second article supports anything you said, and a single law review article making broad claims isn't the robust support you think it is. (For one, it uses the term "high functioning autism" which is considered outdated and is also not a legitimate psychiatric diagnosis.) Do you have any statistics for your specific claim that autistic people are more likely to commit sex crimes? Do you have anything from psychiatry or other medical journals, or journals in social work, or can you only find lawyers basically telling you it's a factor in sentencing -- as are many things that don't have a direct statistical correlation or medical link to whichever crime?

Quote:
I already said it doesn't specifically apply to this guy.

Then why even bring up autism in the first place?

Quote:
But that doesn't mean there aren't legitimate cases out there. I assume you already know this but there's varying degrees of ASD, so peoples own anecdotes are pretty irrelevant to the public at large

What degree of ASD would cause someone to ignore explicit verbal consent? The degree where you're non-speaking, and you wouldn't be in this situation in the first place?

It's not "anecdotal" to just explain how the symptoms of a syndrome work. If you're at the level where you're verbal or as you put it, "high functioning," you're confused by body language and vague, general ways of communicating meaning. These women could not have communicated better to a verbal autistic person that they were not interested.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ANN Forum Mod / Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Do you have any statistics for your specific claim that autistic people are more likely to commit sex crimes? Do you have anything from psychiatry or other medical journals, or journals in social work, or can you only find lawyers basically telling you it's a factor in sentencing -- as are many things that don't have a direct statistical correlation or medical link to whichever crime?

Let me be clear that unless you (generalized "you" applying to everyone) have any of those aforementioned links do not post such baseless and rude blanket judgments/statements. That sort of baseless generalization will not be tolerated.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunately for you, I know enough legal speak to know that really only the second article supports anything you said

Maybe it's not the particular part of Crispy45's post you had in mind in asking this, but the first abstract appears to speak quite directly to Crispy's claim that

"plenty of courts have shown leniency on people on the autism spectrum when it comes to certain crimes because the accused might not have known what was acceptable or not"

It is somewhat limited evidence on this point, but it's not nothing. And the response rate's actually surprisingly good, given how small the population of relevant judges in CA is. The usual concerns about convenience sampling actually seem considerably diminished..

That said,

Do you have any statistics for your specific claim that autistic people are more likely to commit sex crimes?

It doesn't seem likely that any body of evidence exists that speaks to this point (positively or negatively--the absence of which certainly inclines me to doubting that it is true, or that it describes a large enough effect to be important). If it did, you'd expect Crispy's second article (which is only 5 years old) to cite it, but section B. Crime and Autism doesn't cite any experimental or even any meaningful observational work on this that I can see. They mostly just say there is "little evidence that autistic disorders are linked directly to criminal behavior," and then proceed to wax armchair about how the two might be related in different circumstances. Even that they do very briefly.

Reads very much like a section written by someone who couldn't find anything meaningful to speak to the point one way or the other, and so was left to conjecture how it might play out in reality. One possible explanation is that it was clearly written by a legal researcher, with other legal researchers/professionals in mind, so maybe there is experimental/observational evidence that's outside their expertise. I tried looking around for that, too, though; from what I can tell it's just largely absent from systematic study.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3