• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 12 Kyoto News Agencies Request Police to Reveal Names of Remaining 25 KyoAni Fire Victims

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:

Most countries (including the USA and Canada) have laws, for good reason, that the names of deceased people must be published by the coroners office or the police. I assume Japan has those laws too.
-t

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think there are some exceptions regarding the United States:

Perhaps the best known example I remember is the death of Kao Megura (better known as Chris MacDonald) the father of video game FAQs. So far we don't know the cause of his death, and it's incredible that no one, not even his friends who might have known him, have decided to say anything about his death, which has led to speculation ever since about the reason for his death.

What I'm going with is that the media doesn't have to always reveal that X person died from a specific cause, especially if that person died from something that could be considered shameful to the family, such as suicide, or a death that could be considered absurd, such as David Carradine's death by erotic auto-asphyxia.
DQBunny

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:53 am Reply with quote
luisedgarf wrote:
Tempest wrote:

Most countries (including the USA and Canada) have laws, for good reason, that the names of deceased people must be published by the coroners office or the police. I assume Japan has those laws too.
-t

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think there are some exceptions regarding the United States:

All states are required to file death certificates, but they're not public domain in all states. In some states, only those with a tangible connection to the deceased can request a certified copy. It gets stickier when coroner's offices are involved, which is usually the case when the deaths are sudden, suspicious, or were committed as part of a crime. My paper just won a FOIA battle in the courts against one of the county coroner's offices in Pennsylvania seeking full autopsy reports as part of an investigation into drug overdose trends.
DQBunny

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:07 am Reply with quote
AkumaChef wrote:

a) Many of the big-name agencies with an obvious slant offend me, the reader, just as much as they must offend you, a journalist who actually has integrity and cares about both sides of the issue.

Oh yeah, they are very ... frustrating, to put it in the most neutral way possible. What I do try to do is educate people I know to look at media sources that are in the middle of the spectrum. This chart is a fantastic resource for that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4