Forum - View topic
INTEREST: National, Prefectural Police in Disagreement Over Releasing Names of Remaining 25 KyoAni F




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Banjo



Joined: 13 Dec 2010
Posts: 709
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:55 pm Reply with quote
what about the 10 names that were made public already.. just wondering
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yuki_Kun45
It...it's not like I post for you or anything!It...it's not like I post for you or anything!


Joined: 26 May 2008
Posts: 695
Location: U.S.A.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Banjo wrote:
what about the 10 names that were made public already.. just wondering


I think those were willingly shared by the victims families. But I think there were some early leaks or there was just a lot of speculation about who died in the immediate aftermath.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Top Gun



Joined: 28 Sep 2007
Posts: 3373
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Following on from the previous thread, it's good to have confirmation that victims' names are normally released as a matter of course, and that this represents unusual practice. It sounds like the prefectural police are having their jurisdiction stepped on.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
immortal1982



Joined: 13 Feb 2012
Posts: 15
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Following on from the previous thread, it's good to have confirmation that victims' names are normally released as a matter of course, and that this represents unusual practice. It sounds like the prefectural police are having their jurisdiction stepped on.


The NPA i believe is the Japanese equivalent of the FBI, and given the context of the event, i don't think it's so much a jurisdictional thing. Its still a heavy cultural thing, and it makes it harder.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mgosdin



Joined: 17 Jul 2011
Posts: 1280
Location: Kissimmee, Florida, USA
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:01 pm Reply with quote
As was said before, it is just a matter of time until the full list of names is either "leaked" or is "puzzled" out. The problem is that there is a very high likelihood of errors happening, which might cause more distress & embarrassment than just releasing the names from a official source.

While most of this tragedy has been handled with utmost care and respect, it looks like a breakdown is happening here.

Mark Gosdin
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
joeydoa



Joined: 30 Dec 2014
Posts: 54
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:46 pm Reply with quote
I looked up the Sagamihara stabbings and the victims list will never be released per the Kanagawa Prefectural Police. An article from the Japan Times suggests that on the surface it appears the decision was made to protect privacy but a deeper meaning may be that families of the victims do not want the public to know that their loved ones have disabilities.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SquadmemberRitsu



Joined: 26 Jan 2012
Posts: 1371
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:59 pm Reply with quote
You ever wonder why so much Japanese pop culture presents the police as being more disruptive than helpful
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Narutofreak1412



Joined: 22 Feb 2015
Posts: 262
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:37 pm Reply with quote
I think they should release the names, as without them fans of kyoani and fans of specific directors, animators and so on can't grieve about them and have to forever live with the uncertainty if they survived or not. It's true that it can't be compared to the griefing their relatives go through, but there definitely are people who cared about them without being a close relative.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Haterater



Joined: 30 Apr 2006
Posts: 1521
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:34 am Reply with quote
joeydoa wrote:
I looked up the Sagamihara stabbings and the victims list will never be released per the Kanagawa Prefectural Police. An article from the Japan Times suggests that on the surface it appears the decision was made to protect privacy but a deeper meaning may be that families of the victims do not want the public to know that their loved ones have disabilities.


That's sad, and I'm sure that's the overall reason many didn't want their names revealed.in that incident.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Manga
Gurren Rodan



Joined: 04 Jan 2018
Posts: 164
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Narutofreak1412 wrote:
I think they should release the names, as without them fans of kyoani and fans of specific directors, animators and so on can't grieve about them and have to forever live with the uncertainty if they survived or not. It's true that it can't be compared to the griefing their relatives go through, but there definitely are people who cared about them without being a close relative.

I've seen it argued that, eventually, even without a list we'll probably learn many/most of the deceased simply by noting which names don't appear in the company's show credits anymore. Sad

Honestly, the main reason at this point I want (ugh, "want" doesn't feel like the appropriate word at all) to know the names sooner or later is to know who survived. It's bad enough seeing who's been confirmed dead already, and I dread to know who else has been lost; but there could be some solace in knowing for sure who is still around to hopefully carry the mantle. For example, both Naoko Yamada and Taichi Ishidate are strongly rumored to be safe, so I hear - but has that been officially confirmed yet? I'd hate to find out the opposite, but right now we don't know for certain either way.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kadmos1



Joined: 08 May 2014
Posts: 12513
Location: In Phoenix but has an 85308 ZIP
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:00 am Reply with quote
It is cases like this where the line between privacy and public info get blurred. Honestly, it is hard to know whose side I am with this because I guess I fall in a mix of either side: Yes, there is the privacy issues from the side of the friends and family side. Yes, there is the fan side wanting to know which animators died so the fans can give their proper farewells in whatever way. Personally, I think that at least another 30 days might work before the remaining 25 names do get released if such a decision is made.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group