• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tenka Hyakken Sword Girl Anime Reveals Cast, Staff, Title, October Debut

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gridsleep

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Who won't be surprised by the figurines that come out of this anime?
shosakukan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:55 pm Reply with quote
The MoCa News article says:
Quote:
透し正宗

Rafael Antonio Pineda wrote:
Tōshi Masamune

You have read '透し' as 'tōshi', but your combination of the on reading 'tō' of the kanji and hiragana 'shi' as a part of the name of a famous sword seems strange to the eyes of people who are fluent in Japanese.
And have you ever read Kyōhō Meibutsuchō, Mr Pineda? It is a well-known book about famous swords which Shōgun Tokugawa Yoshimune ordered the Hon'ami family to compile.

Kyōhō Meibutsuchō says:
Quote:
內藤右京亮殿 庖丁スカシ正宗 無銘長七寸一分半 無代…

I think you can see the 'スカシ' (sukashi) part in the short sword's name.

So, actually, the name of the anime character in question and the real-life short sword which the girl represents is Sukashi Masamune. Not Tōshi Masamune.

The reason why the name of the short sword has the word 'sukashi' is that the short sword has a sukashi (openwork) engraving.

And the official site for Tenka Hyakken says, 'すかしまさむね' (Sukashi Masamune) in the first place.
https://tenkahyakken.jp/character/?page=228
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Needs AT-X uncensored airing badly. I do like the art though, it's quite cute.
RALPineda

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for the correction, shosakukan. I was doubtful as well of the reading when I wrote, but I had to go with something. I have not read the Kyōhō Meibutsuchō, but perhaps I shall in the near future. We all have our blind spots, especially when it comes to specialty topics such as what this franchise is about. The history of noted Japanese swords is one such blind spot for me.

Thank you as well for linking the Tenka Hyakken homepage. I was not aware that it had updated for the characters. In the future, I will be sure to check their character page if I am not sure about a reading in the future.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1