• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Where Do We Go From Here?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Ahh man, this was my favorite/only one I read recurring article. Thanks for holding it down week in, week out for years on end!

As for the final question, I know about KyoAni and that was tragic, but outside of that it's been a pretty normal year for anime hasn't it?

Vic Mignogna happened.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Holo Wolfgod

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:53 pm Reply with quote
another member of the old guard has retired Sad
NiPah
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for such an informative and enjoyable column, spent many many hours learning about what goes into something I love. Can’t say this is really a parting since I’m constantly watching Blu-ray’s that you’ve worked on.

Thanks again, you’re awesome.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Aww. It's been a great run though, and the years of archives left here continue to be useful and fun to read - thank for all these years of hard work!

I've definitely had that same general feeling lately, as I was all gung-ho about trying to do more writing or something online, but ended up backing off over worries of the kind of grief it might get me, and if that was worth it at all. My little contribution to the fandom years ago was panels at my local cons, which I'd sort of talked myself out of doing, so...maybe I need to drop by a con again myself sometime and remember what it's all about.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for your hard work, Justin. I've been following this column since Zac used to write, through Brian, and now you. Of the three, I loved your take at answering questions the best. And I'm not just saying that because you're the first Answerman that bothered to answer my question, but that certainly helps!
Haterater

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Thank you Justin. I'll miss not just you doing Answerman, but all the other things you've done on the site. Wish the very best for you. And thanks for again for answering this question. Been tough, but trying to stay strong.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:02 pm Reply with quote
It feels like you just took over the Answerman column! My how quickly time flies by!
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, everyone!!
Dumas1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for all the work over the years. I've loved the stories you've shared and the insights you provided into the industry side of anime.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:11 pm Reply with quote
I missed the last call for questions, but this was a fine one to choose to exit with. Thanks everyone for all the good questions and thanks Justin for the great answers! This will be a hard act to follow. Looking forward to seeing whoever takes up the challenge.

Last edited by Gina Szanboti on Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
kotomikun

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
So, I thought, to hell with it: I shelled out some bucks and made a last minute trip to Otakon, which seems to have more of my particular tribe -- the old timers -- than most of the other big shows. I reconnected with old friends, and I made new ones. I got to see how great fans actually can be.

In my experience, there is an absolute night-and-day difference between going to a con and trying to interact with fans online. If I hadn't started going to cons relatively early, I doubt I'd still be here years later. The internet often brings out the worst in people, while cons almost do the opposite. It's not perfect, of course--some of the recent controversies are literally about bad behavior at cons--but, well, there's a reason I don't use social media, and it has a lot to do with how its users reacted to those same controversies.
marshmallowpie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Ahh man, this was my favorite/only one I read recurring article. Thanks for holding it down week in, week out for years on end!

As for the final question, I know about KyoAni and that was tragic, but outside of that it's been a pretty normal year for anime hasn't it?

Vic Mignogna happened.

His horrible behaviour has been a thing for well over a decade, and I'm thankful as heck that it's FINALLY being acknowledged, despite the fact he should have faced the consequences long ago.

Anyway, good choice on the final question. I'll be interested to see what the next Answerman will be like, and hopefully we don't get any Shelf Life-tier changes, not that I have any idea how that would be.
7jaws7

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:26 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Thanks, everyone!!

Thank you Justin for all that you’ve contributed, and will continue to contribute to our quirky little fandom of misfits. I’ll keep an eye out for you in those Blu-ray credits! Very Happy
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:44 pm Reply with quote
And I thought the previous Answerman column was the last one. Guess not, but either way, I guess this is actually to end on a good note...for now. I mean, yeah, Justin did mention its not going away, it'll come back...one day.

However, this also makes me think, since the original Answerman is ending, does that also include Manga Answerman (technically Answer-woman, since it was Deb herself answering it.) being affected too? Who knows...

Also yeah, 2019 had its ups and downs in the industry.
tojikomori

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for all your work on this column over the years, Justin. It's always been interesting and more than once you've nudged me to explore or investigate something I wouldn't have known existed otherwise.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5