• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Where Do We Go From Here?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Though I'm certainly going to miss Answerman...

I think this part is off base:

Quote:
to be honest, I was starting to reach the limits of what I could answer here. I mean, seriously, go look at that archive page! Almost anything you could think to ask is in there.

Certainly, so long as the question isn't topical... Which there's been plenty of over the years. And for me, it's never been just about the question and Justin's answer - but about the discussions they spawn as well.
horseradish

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:54 pm Reply with quote
I've learned a great deal from this column during your time as Answerman. Best of luck with your current and future endeavors Justin!

Last edited by horseradish on Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:33 pm Reply with quote
I really love this column and thanks so much for everything you've done.

It really sucks that a lot of jerks and reactionaries (to put it lightly) seem to have infiltrated our fandom as of late, at least on the internet, but like you said, these people are just too cowardly to go to cons and wonderful happy fandom times still happen there... But there's only so many conventions every year, and only so much most people can afford to go to.

Last edited by ninjamitsuki on Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:10 pm; edited 4 times in total
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:04 pm Reply with quote
I think this is one of the best answers Justin's put out. He's a treasure to the anime fandom in the US, and he did great work here.

Onward and upward, buddy. Keep up the good work.
Matriel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Thank you so much, Justin, for all of your work on Answerman. Your insights and knowledge, for me especially your technical knowledge, will be greatly missed. Good luck to you and I look forward to your future Blu Ray projects. Keep on being awesome!
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Wonderful final column; thanks so much for writing it. And thanks for all the previous columns, too!
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, Justin. I've appreciated all your columns and articles over the years.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Neohybrid_kai

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for your hard work all these years. Answerman has always been my favorite column to follow since my early days joining this forum (along with Astro Toys and Nina). Since I have curiosity towards things like production, sales, community, doujinshi, stuff like that, reading Answerman is always an enjoyable experience. I may not be a part of the US anime fandom but I think similar things also happens in the fandom in other countries. There are two sentences from the article that I definitely agree. "It's just gotten a lot more crowded in here" and "the more "online" you are, the worse you probably feel".

The community now is growing larger than ever, even non-nerds are starting into reading manga and watching anime (I'm not saying its a bad thing), and with the massive influx of new people, naturally the number of bad apple also increases. Just ignore those person and focus to people who do good things. Anime fans nowadays comes from various background and I enjoy befriending people from various jobs and other hobbies, sharing experiences and knowledge. In my age now, I find that even more interesting than watching anime (not that I no longer watch anime or stop reading manga).

And yes, because of the nature of internet, people can be a jerk easily online so whenever you feel like losing hope in community online, get off from the internet, go to local con or local hobby shop, meet fellow fans of your favorite fandom and chance are you will have a good time.
Lenks

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:42 pm Reply with quote
My niece is developing more into her fandom for anime, and I'll do everything I can to make sure she isn't hanging out with the toxic part of the fandom. She's not quite a teen yet, so that's my biggest apprehension in the overarching schemes.

As for the curtain call, I've enjoyed the Justin era. I cannot wait for the next mantle. This is the only column I regularly read. Enjoy your next chapter!
ericarreza

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:28 am Reply with quote
Wow, gone too soon, Justin. I'll gonna miss this page a lot & thanks for the answers that I'd asked you before (if anyone don't know yet, I'd asked him about the anime series on, Golden Kamuy and the priestess thing, just find it on the Answerman's archive page).
fanime99

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:57 am Reply with quote
Thank you for your lengthy stint at the Answerman desk, Justin - I enjoyed your knowledgable answers. Yours was the only column I always read.

I hope you will continue to make anime Blurays, though - may the reported demise of physical media be long forestalled by people like you!
melmouth

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:40 am Reply with quote
You've done a wonderful job with this column for a long time. Most of what I know about the Japanese manga and anime world, I owe to you!
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:41 am Reply with quote
Thank you, Justin. This was a wonderful final column to finish on. It's been a great pleasure to read your Answerman columns. I wish you the best on all your future projects!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gurren Rodan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:59 am Reply with quote
"Answerman" has easily been one of my favorite columns on ANN since I started visiting regularly - it's been informative and downright eye-opening at times, providing lots of knowledge on the medium/industry worthwhile for newer fans like myself.
Thanks for all your work here, and please continue to do your best on producing quality home video releases. Best of wishes to your successor too!
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:04 pm Reply with quote
I will miss Justin and his experienced anime answers.

As to the question, you really don't need people on the internet to enjoy anime. In the 80's and 90's I didn't really participate in forums. Usually, just read through internet sites and bulletin boards to get the information I needed.

There really isn't much wrong with anime fandom, that isn't a reflection of our greater society. Everything is so polarized, and the middle ground is afraid to raise their head out of the foxhole, for very good reasons.

We live in an age of absolutes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5