Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Is Cop Craft Worth Watching?


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Takkun4343



Joined: 19 Jul 2007
Posts: 851
Location: Gahanna, Ohio
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Apparently the answer is both yes and no at the same time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Stampeed Valkyrie



Joined: 10 Aug 2014
Posts: 536
Location: PA
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:16 pm Reply with quote
In any other anime season prior, my answer would probably be different. But this season is just DULL.. and with that said Cop Craft is one of the few highlights.

But to be honest with this seasons rollout it really didn't take much, so kinda win by default.

On a side note, I used to be a pretty big fan of Range Murata's art, but he went through this (loli) phase and he just lost me. It's pretty apparent who the character designer is but still with the (loli) focused art style.. so meh


Best thing about this series.. The back and forth between Kei and Tilarna especially the very end of the vampire episode.. his line was classic..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jdnation



Joined: 15 May 2007
Posts: 1164
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:02 pm Reply with quote
It's a stupid fun show. Obviously could be much much better. But as far as passable entertainment goes it's not bad.

Great OP though...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
angelmcazares
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 23 Sep 2010
Posts: 4354
Location: Iscandar
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
In any other anime season prior, my answer would probably be different. But this season is just DULL..

I completely disagree; this is a strong season with shows like Dr. Stone, Danmachi II, Astra Lost in Space, Granbelm and Vinland Saga. Summer seasons are usually underwhelming, but not this year.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
meiam



Joined: 23 Jun 2013
Posts: 2465
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
Apparently the answer is both yes and no at the same time.


I'd say its a timid yes, the show has issues, very serious one. They're stretching there budget to the breaking point and the director ability doesn't seem to be up to the task. Pacing is a wreck (the first arc is rushed like crazy, with 2 episode of content crammed in half an episode) it also awkwardly finish mid episode just to be followed by a new arc that's not that interesting or consequential and feel even somewhat stretched out.

At the same time there's some good stuff here and there, the setting is grossly underused but it's still interesting. Characters aren't bad.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HAL14



Joined: 01 Apr 2018
Posts: 63
Location: Heart of africa
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:10 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
In any other anime season prior, my answer would probably be different. But this season is just DULL..

I completely disagree; this is a strong season with shows like Dr. Stone, Danmachi II, Astra Lost in Space, Granbelm and Vinland Saga. Summer seasons are usually underwhelming, but not this year.


I agree the season is strong but to me mondays aren't. I would've long dropped cop craft it were a friday or weekend show.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lord Vaultman



Joined: 03 Mar 2017
Posts: 467
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Cop craft has some issues but its story and soundtrack more than make it up and it's still a solid 3 stars the bickering back and forth between the buddy cops make every episode very enjoyable to watch.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TanyaTheEvil



Joined: 11 May 2018
Posts: 114
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:46 pm Reply with quote
I am really liking Cop Craft, also alot of the summer anime as well. I look forward to watching Cop Craft, Dr Stone, Fire Force, Friuts Basket, Demon Slayer, Gramblem and a bunch more. It is just me though Anime smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dop.L



Joined: 23 Mar 2007
Posts: 615
Location: London
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:54 pm Reply with quote
I'll agree the show has more than its fair share of problems but at its heart it's a big ol' goofy cop show spoof and I like it for that.

"He's a grizzled cop with a grudge.
She's an elven knight from another world.
Together... THEY FIGHT CRIME!"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tenebrae



Joined: 26 Apr 2008
Posts: 410
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Treading the buddy cop and cop show cliches is definitely the best part of this show. And yeah the porn smuggling ring episode's been the best so far.
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
Range Murata's art, but he went through this (loli) phase

Wait, a phase? As far as I've understood, he's always been in that phase and has never left it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chrono1000



Joined: 05 Oct 2013
Posts: 1238
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:58 pm Reply with quote
I love buddy cop shows in general and Cop Craft might be the best anime buddy cop show I have seen. It is a pity that the budget for the show was obviously limited since the studio can do good action scenes but they frequently have to rely on anime budget tricks. The author of the light novels did a good job with both the comedy stories such as the porn magazine smugglers and the more serious stories such as the one with the ruthless politician which covered a lot of complex issues.

Tenebrae wrote:
Wait, a phase? As far as I've understood, he's always been in that phase and has never left it.

Range Murata is a good artist when it comes to ethereal beauty and one of the earlier examples I have seen in anime was that mermaid from Blue Submarine No 6 which was released in 2000. I am somewhat surprised that they haven't released an anime figure of Tilarna.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DuskyPredator
It...it's not like I post for you or anything!It...it's not like I post for you or anything!


Joined: 10 Mar 2009
Posts: 13371
Location: Brisbane, Australia
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:35 am Reply with quote
I am enjoying it, but I do think that it keeps just undercutting itself from the serious things posed to Tilarna especially. Like, there seemed to be a good chance Tilarna could have talked down the vampire, it mirroring Tilarna herself in some ways after what the ex-chief thought of her kind, the vampire herself mostly confused, hungry and not understanding her current situation. But then they catch her in a worse than actual situation and it ends with them killing what they thought as a mindless killing machine. Or Tilarna maybe learning that revenge against the man she thought killed her new best friend, would actually be a misplaced, and not a real sense of justice. Or really a question in whether the system they had that criminalized the brothel in the first place may have been a problem.

There are starts of maybe a tough question, but it can wave things away like there were no hinted themes, skip some sort of ending, or self analyze what may have happened that could maybe come off a bit more political.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Greed1914
It's Over 9000!It's Over 9000!


Joined: 28 Oct 2007
Posts: 3344
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:38 am Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
I love buddy cop shows in general and Cop Craft might be the best anime buddy cop show I have seen. It is a pity that the budget for the show was obviously limited since the studio can do good action scenes but they frequently have to rely on anime budget tricks. The author of the light novels did a good job with both the comedy stories such as the porn magazine smugglers and the more serious stories such as the one with the ruthless politician which covered a lot of complex issues.

Tenebrae wrote:
Wait, a phase? As far as I've understood, he's always been in that phase and has never left it.

Range Murata is a good artist when it comes to ethereal beauty and one of the earlier examples I have seen in anime was that mermaid from Blue Submarine No 6 which was released in 2000. I am somewhat surprised that they haven't released an anime figure of Tilarna.


If merchandising history is anything to go by, we probably won't see a figure for about a year, assuming one happens at all.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yuvelir



Joined: 06 Jan 2015
Posts: 369
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:06 am Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
Range Murata is a good artist when it comes to ethereal beauty and one of the earlier examples I have seen in anime was that mermaid from Blue Submarine No 6 which was released in 2000. I am somewhat surprised that they haven't released an anime figure of Tilarna.

Eh, unless something like Good Smile Company is in the production commitee, figures are usually anounced after the show has finished airing (or when it's close to); they also like saving some announcements for festivals and exhibitions.

That also means that unless a figure maker was in said commitee, that a show gets figures at all depends on how popular it was. The more popular, the more figures from more makers. If the show bombs though, nobody is risking making an expensive product that nobody will buy.

Tenebrae wrote:
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
Range Murata's art, but he went through this (loli) phase

Wait, a phase? As far as I've understood, he's always been in that phase and has never left it.

A tendency I've observed is that when people get enamored with someone's art (be it anime or otherwise), they fail to consider that not their whole work has to follow the same style or themes. So when said artist does something opposite of what the fan liked, well, rejection happens. Sometimes it's because the artist did start exploring new grounds, more often it's because the fan wasn't aware of the breadth of their work.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Scalfin



Joined: 18 May 2008
Posts: 211
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:06 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
In any other anime season prior, my answer would probably be different. But this season is just DULL..

I completely disagree; this is a strong season with shows like Dr. Stone, Danmachi II, Astra Lost in Space, Granbelm and Vinland Saga. Summer seasons are usually underwhelming, but not this year.


Basically, it's dull if you don't have a paid membership of some sort.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group