• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Voice Actor Brett Weaver Responds to Mignogna, Mari Iijima Photos

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:38 am Reply with quote
Amibite wrote:
That's up to the lawyers and courts to decide. Apparently there's been cases like this where it can go either way when it's a he said she said situation.

The burden of proof is on Vic, though, as the plaintiff, so if it's "he said she said" he loses the case. That's why everyone with any actual legal knowledge (so, not Rekieta) is telling you that this lawsuit is so frivolous. He's trying to prove things that basically can't be proven.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:39 am Reply with quote
luisedgarf wrote:

Fixed for you. Just because there's a giant problem involving American (and a Japanese citizen living in the States) VAs doesn't mean the rest of the western countries would be affected. I already know that for many Americans, the US is the whole "west" as a whole for them, but please stop thinking that your problems are always going to affect the rest of the world as well.
If you already knew what I meant, I'm not sure why you thought this snarky comment was necessary. Also Funimation operates in Canada and the UK too.
Crispy45

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:46 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I can't imagine why Vic apologists think smearing his former bosses and co-workers with the filmiest of arguments is a great way to get his old job back.

You should go rewatch Vic's deposition again, especially near the end. Vic says he knows this is all a bridge burning move and he's fine with that He names names of people who openly hated him at Funimation and conspired against him and basically puts all his cards on the table. He had no intention of ever going back to Funimation. I just wish he'd made that decision sooner. Vic should have moved on from the dub industry long ago like Crispin Freeman, Laura Bailey, Steve Blum, Yuri Lowenthal, Tavis Willingham, and many other big VAs from the early 2000s did when they graduated from anime dubs to go do either video games, western animation, or their own projects; only stepping back into the anime sphere to reprise their old roles when the opportunity presents itself. He had the talent and popularity to do so but he stuck around because he loves the community.

NervClaX wrote:
The Funi outtakes are important because they show the working environment within the recording studio. These "outtakes" aren't even mistakes. They're raunchy jokes recorded and kept. It proves Funimation VAs aren't a bunch of prudish saints. If this kind of stuff was tolerated from other VAs, why are they giving Vic flak over jellybeans? It makes his accusers and HR look like hypocrites.

That's my take away on why it was leaked. And it's also painfully obvious the slurs in the clips are being downplayed purely because admitting they're bad would give the people who leaked them exactly what they wanted. If this wasn't tied to the Vic thing in any way they'd be openly condemning the use of those words like people do whenever an actor, politician, or video game streamer gets caught saying naughty words.

And I really don't know why people are trying to claim those are common in dub outtakes. None of the outtakes I've ever heard were dropping slurs like that. Not even the infamous Berserk outtakes went that far from what I remember.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:43 am Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:

You should go rewatch Vic's deposition again, especially near the end. Vic says he knows this is all a bridge burning move and he's fine with that He names names of people who openly hated him at Funimation and conspired against him and basically puts all his cards on the table.

It only proves how unhinged Vic is, thinking everything is a big, bad conspiracy against him, everyone is jealous of him, they're trying to get attention, etc. Persecution complex.

His deposition made him look like the small, vindictive, and totally creepy predator he is.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:06 am Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I can't imagine why Vic apologists think smearing his former bosses and co-workers with the filmiest of arguments is a great way to get his old job back.

You should go rewatch Vic's deposition again, especially near the end. Vic says he knows this is all a bridge burning move and he's fine with that He names names of people who openly hated him at Funimation and conspired against him and basically puts all his cards on the table. He had no intention of ever going back to Funimation. I just wish he'd made that decision sooner. Vic should have moved on from the dub industry long ago like Crispin Freeman, Laura Bailey, Steve Blum, Yuri Lowenthal, Tavis Willingham, and many other big VAs from the early 2000s did when they graduated from anime dubs to go do either video games, western animation, or their own projects; only stepping back into the anime sphere to reprise their old roles when the opportunity presents itself. He had the talent and popularity to do so but he stuck around because he loves the community. .

Okay all of those actors you listed are either union or California-based actors. The main reason why you don’t hear them much in most anime these days is because most dub companies are either non-union productions or located elsewhere like Texas where Funimation is based in so those actors can’t actually be hired as a result.

Even then there are exceptions. For fucks sake, Steve Blum was in the Baki dub & Crispin Freeman was just announced to be voicing a major character in the Promare movies dub.

So your little dig at the dub companies there fell flat on its face completely.

There’s also the fact that Vic himself hasn’t even been very active in the anime community for the most part. The man has only been in a handful of roles in the last several years, he’s barely been in anything. The only role of his I can recollect is Rohan from the Diamond is Unbreakable dub & Broly but that was a reprisal. So he doesn’t really deserve any kind of appraisal for “sticking around”.
ANN Forum Mod / Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:38 pm Reply with quote
I don't know why it needs to be repeated yet again but here we go. Off topic posts referencing pointless topics (such as the jellybean incident) or other people, dragging the topic down political soap boxing, conspiracy theory posts, and victim blaming posts (or putting "evidence" or "victims" in quotes to dismiss their validity) are not going to fly. Posts have been removed. If you're tired of the topic then here's an idea, just move on and don't read the article.
Crispy45

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:
Okay all of those actors you listed are either union or California-based actors. The main reason why you don’t hear them much in most anime these days is because most dub companies are either non-union productions or located elsewhere like Texas where Funimation is based in so those actors can’t actually be hired as a result.

Even then there are exceptions. For fucks sake, Steve Blum was in the Baki dub & Crispin Freeman was just announced to be voicing a major character in the Promare movies dub.

So your little dig at the dub companies there fell flat on its face completely.

It wasn't really a 'dig', it's an open secret anime dubbing pays very little. That's precisely why it's mostly all non-union work in the first place. Your examples really just highlight the issue. Baki is a Netflix project and Promare is a movie, as was Mirai which Freeman also voiced in. Bailey also voiced the lead in Glitter Force and Blum's also slated to do a voice in the upcoming Ultraman series. Netflix has money and is no doubt willing to pay union wages, it's just most dubbing companies don't which is why their focus isn't anime anymore.

Quote:
There’s also the fact that Vic himself hasn’t even been very active in the anime community for the most part. The man has only been in a handful of roles in the last several years, he’s barely been in anything. The only role of his I can recollect is Rohan from the Diamond is Unbreakable dub & Broly but that was a reprisal. So he doesn’t really deserve any kind of appraisal for “sticking around”.

True. He was mostly focusing on RWBY and Star Trek Continues stuff the last couple of years and in 2017 his anime resume shrank although he was still doing work and didn't seem to care if it was union or not. Vic was living in LA at the time so he very well could have been in the process of moving on or retire himself.
faboo95

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
Why are people getting labeled cultists? Because they share a different opinion? The Vic issue is not Black and White.. both sides have some issues. I am still waiting to see what the courts decide.. I don't give credo to the courts of ANN

Agreed. Not going to fall for the "mob mentality" of either side and form my opinion once all the facts are out there.

Last edited by faboo95 on Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:06 am; edited 1 time in total
gamegodtre

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:14 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Crispy45 wrote:

You should go rewatch Vic's deposition again, especially near the end. Vic says he knows this is all a bridge burning move and he's fine with that He names names of people who openly hated him at Funimation and conspired against him and basically puts all his cards on the table.

It only proves how unhinged Vic is, thinking everything is a big, bad conspiracy against him, everyone is jealous of him, they're trying to get attention, etc. Persecution complex.

His deposition made him look like the small, vindictive, and totally creepy predator he is.

Chuck Hubers affadavit says otherwise...
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:43 am Reply with quote
gamegodtre wrote:

Chuck Huber isn't exactly bursting with credibility.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:42 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
gamegodtre wrote:

Chuck Huber isn't exactly bursting with credibility.

Yeah this is a guy who believes in Flat Earth theories and apparently thought Harry Potter was evil (though not sure how he was okay with voicing anime characters)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4