• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Junji Ito's Uzumaki Horror Manga Gets TV Anime by Production IG

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:55 pm Reply with quote
I’m nervous... Junji Ito collection and Gyo were mediocre.
Coldcherrii

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:18 pm Reply with quote
https://twitter.com/Clarknova1/status/1167584297093455872

This is confirmed to be in all black and white too!
Gemnist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Ito adaptations almost never translate well to animation, but it's Production IG so I'll hold out hope.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Most random pick up ever?

Toonami really should just run this as a Halloween special, like they did with Kakurenbo.

#894822 wrote:

This is by the director of Mushishi, so he knows what he's doing. I wouldn't worry too much.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:17 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Most random pick up ever?

Toonami really should just run this as a Halloween special, like they did with Kakurenbo.

#894822 wrote:

This is by the director of Mushishi, so he knows what he's doing. I wouldn't worry too much.

Wouldn't call it random,since it's one of his most popular works. You got a great director and studio behind it. Interested how they'll handle it in 4 episodes, considering one of it's strengths was the slow build-up the manga had,until the last volume when everything just went to hell.
Zeino

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:43 pm Reply with quote
"Uzumaki anime adaptation by Toonami"

I mean...I guess that's cool, but after being burned by the Junji Ito Collection, I just can't bring myself to get excited for-

"Junji Ito personally involved in art direction. Colin Stetson as composer. Hiroshi Nagahama as director. Animated entirely in black & white."

...Okay. You have my attention.
TsubomiKoneko

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Is there any news about whether this will be available on any streaming services at some point? We don't have cable, so can't watch Toonami and my boyfriend really likes Junji Ito's works.
Coldcherrii

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:46 pm Reply with quote
TsubomiKoneko wrote:
Is there any news about whether this will be available on any streaming services at some point? We don't have cable, so can't watch Toonami and my boyfriend really likes Junji Ito's works.

Thinking it might be on Hulu after it airs, Adult Swim's website may have the first ep free on their website, and there is also the cheap $15 AT&T Watch TV OTT streaming service which includes Adult Swim.
Mr.Shonen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Oh cool. When does it get death slotted to 3 AM after DeMarco sees that barely anyone watched the first episode?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
jdnation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm?

Does the teaser indicate that it will be like a motion-comic? Or is that just a teaser and this will be fully animated?

The decision to remain in B&W is really cool.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:34 pm Reply with quote
TsubomiKoneko wrote:
The FLCL sequels were added to Crunchyroll like a year after they aired on Toonami so I imagine it will be something similar with this show.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:35 pm Reply with quote
TsubomiKoneko wrote:

Adult Swim usually streams episodes free on their website a couple weeks later. But I think the better question is how will international viewers be able to watch this, since Toonami is US only.
WingKing

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Am wondering how many parents are going to DVR this for their kids thinking it's some kind of Naruto spinoff....
jdnation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:00 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
Adult Swim usually streams episodes free on their website a couple weeks later. But I think the better question is how will international viewers be able to watch this, since Toonami is US only.

It will air in Japan later. Probably not too far later. I'm sure Production I.G. likely has international distribution with Adult Swim being primarily for North America, and possibly the UK.
ECW28

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:06 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
TsubomiKoneko wrote:

This is a Toonami co-production, same as FLCL sequels. In that case, it’ll be on their app/site for a while, if not permanently. It’s never coming to Hulu (which is fully owned by Disney now) or Netflix or anything besides Crunchyroll, and even the latter is only because they’re sister companies. Ergo, if you don’t have cable, or Crunchyroll at some point, you’re SOL.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2