• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manga Piracy Site Manga Rock Shuts Down

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Replica_Rabbit wrote:

No, the official translations don't take months (beside One Punch-Man). They come out the same time as the Japanese release. Heck, VIZ can beat the scanlations to the punch. They get the chapters two weeks ahead of everyone, but they aren't allowed to and have to release them on street date.

If the official translators get the raw material "two weeks early" then the comparison is not a fair one. I have seen countless manga chapters, as well as anime episodes translated by fans come out within 24 hours of the raws being available. I don't think too many professional translators, if any, are that fast. 24 hours is a lot faster than 2 weeks.

Quote:
I don't like your idea, I don't want people to not get paid for there work or get paid less. I already don't like the current system VIZ and the other companies using and this idea is the worst version of it

I don't want people to get paid less either. My suggestion pays both the translators and the original creators of the work. Everyone gets paid. In fact, the original creators would be paid more because their work would be available to a larger number of readers, and therefore would earn them more royalties. Please explain why you think my suggestion would pay anyone less, because that's NOT what I am suggesting at all, and I'm puzzled as to how you got that mistaken impression. The whole point of my suggestion is to put the money in the pockets of the creators (read: manga artists) instead of some scummy company engaged in piracy without a dime going back to the creators.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:09 pm Reply with quote
#900060 wrote:
Again, lessons from Anime market, Crunchyroll, and music suggest a way forward. It should be noted that Manga Rock and its ilk did a tremendous job of popularizing and exposing manga to a wider audience. This is an opportunity for the industry, not merely a time to suppress “piracy.”

The lesson that should be learned, is that pirate sites should not act as if they were legit. They exposed themselves so much, that the content creators could not help but get angry at their brazen acts. I read plenty of scanalations of doujin and manga, but it is quite understandable to see that Manga Rock's actions were beyond the pale.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:22 pm Reply with quote
AkumaChef wrote:

If the official translators get the raw material "two weeks early" then the comparison is not a fair one. I have seen countless manga chapters, as well as anime episodes translated by fans come out within 24 hours of the raws being available. I don't think too many professional translators, if any, are that fast. 24 hours is a lot faster than 2 weeks.

He's saying they get the chapters 2 weeks before publishing, which is to say they get the chapters the same time that the publishers get them to be sent to the printing. And the reason they get them early is specifically so they can produce consistent translations that have time for quality control and - this is key here - can be checked and approved by the rights holders in Japan. Which would all have to happen under your hypothetical manga service.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:53 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:

He's saying they get the chapters 2 weeks before publishing, which is to say they get the chapters the same time that the publishers get them to be sent to the printing.

Yes, I understand that. I'm not sure how it is relevant here. We are discussing manga being distributed electronically, over a computer or a device like a tablet or a smartphone, not a physical print volume.
Let's suppose the original creator (or more likey, their publishing company) has a new chapter ready for electronic release on "day zero".
Given past experience, fan translators often have a scanlated version ready for review within a day. So, on day 1 the fan translation is ready for approval.
Most professional translation services take a lot longer than that, making their copy ready for review on day N, where N is most likely >> 1.
Thus the crowdsourced method is faster.

Quote:
And the reason they get them early is specifically so they can produce consistent translations that have time for quality control and - this is key here - can be checked and approved by the rights holders in Japan. Which would all have to happen under your hypothetical manga service.

Of course the translation would need to be approved, which is something I clearly stated when I first described the idea. That is very easily done via software. Once someone has submitted a proposed translation then the rights holder gets an immediate notification; the rights holder reviews it and either accepts it (which means it goes live and starts earning them money right away) or they can reject the translation, in which case it does not become available for viewing. Ideally the translator would be informed why the translation was not approved so that they could not make the same mistake next time.

The beauty of this system is that it harnesses the power of not only crowdsourcing, but also the willingness of fans to bust their rears to work quickly, as well as people's competitive nature. The first translation which is good enough to get approved is the one that gets paid. This creates incentive to both work quickly and correctly. If a particular translator is slow then someone else will get the payment and the credit for the work. If a translator is inaccurate or sloppy then their work will not be approved.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:10 pm Reply with quote
AkumaChef wrote:

Yes, I understand that. I'm not sure how it is relevant here. We are discussing manga being distributed electronically, over a computer or a device like a tablet or a smartphone, not a physical print volume.

Do you...not know how manga publishers make their money? Because they make it by selling the print magazine. What you're proposing is that a publishing company release the digital version of a chapter 2 weeks before their print one, exclusively so they can crowdsource a translation that, let me emphasize, would still be subject to the lengthy quality check and approval process by the publisher because no publisher is going to put out a translation they haven't checked and approved in this day and age

Quote:

Of course the translation would need to be approved, which is something I clearly stated when I first described the idea. That is very easily done via software. Once someone has submitted a proposed translation then the rights holder gets an immediate notification; the rights holder reviews it and either accepts it (which means it goes live and starts earning them money right away) or they can reject the translation, in which case it does not become available for viewing. Ideally the translator would be informed why the translation was not approved so that they could not make the same mistake next time.

So you're proposing that the publishers essentially keep a full editorial department active 24 hours a day to immediately respond to presumably multiple submissions from effectively anonymous translator(s) in order to immediately review, edit, and select a preferred translation. And also provide feedback to those that aren't accepted. For dozens if not hundreds of series coming out every week.

Quote:
The beauty of this system is that it harnesses the power of not only crowdsourcing, but also the willingness of fans to bust their rears to work quickly, as well as people's competitive nature. The first translation which is good enough to get approved is the one that gets paid. This creates incentive to both work quickly and correctly. If a particular translator is slow then someone else will get the payment and the credit for the work. If a translator is inaccurate or sloppy then their work will not be approved.

Also this is just straight up moronic. You're essentially saying translators should do free work for the chance that maybe they'll get paid. I know people like to break out the cannard that fan translators/scanlators are more "passionate" but passion is a poor excuse to do professional work for free.

Frankly your entire idea rings of somebody who doesn't understand the logistics of translation, publishing, or hiring. Everything you suggest here is massively less efficient than a publisher interviewing and hiring a dedicated translator for a simulpub. It's also actively ignorant of the work pipeline involved in the process as well as how people actually make money from publishing...well anything, but especially manga.
Replica_Rabbit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:22 pm Reply with quote
AkumaChef wrote:
Replica_Rabbit wrote:

No, the official translations don't take months (beside One Punch-Man). They come out the same time as the Japanese release. Heck, VIZ can beat the scanlations to the punch. They get the chapters two weeks ahead of everyone, but they aren't allowed to and have to release them on street date.

I think most of them can get it out in 24 hours since a lot of them was fans translating back in the day and one of the reasons they don't release them early is they don't want to break their agreement with the Manga company and lose their licenses.

Quote:
I don't want people to get paid less either. My suggestion pays both the translators and the original creators of the work. Everyone gets paid. In fact, the original creators would be paid more because their work would be available to a larger number of readers, and therefore would earn them more royalties. Please explain why you think my suggestion would pay anyone less, because that's NOT what I am suggesting at all, and I'm puzzled as to how you got that mistaken impression. The whole point of my suggestion is to put the money in the pockets of the creators (read: manga artists) instead of some scummy company engaged in piracy without a dime going back to the creators.

The ranking part is the problem, the way you said it come off as paying the fan translators in an exposure instead of money. You don't need a ranking system if you paying the people correctly. If they not doing a good job, someone else better will take over.
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:36 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
AkumaChef wrote:

Also this is just straight up moronic. You're essentially saying translators should do free work for the chance that maybe they'll get paid. I know people like to break out the cannard that fan translators/scanlators are more "passionate" but passion is a poor excuse to do professional work for free.

Frankly your entire idea rings of somebody who doesn't understand the logistics of translation, publishing, or hiring. Everything you suggest here is massively less efficient than a publisher interviewing and hiring a dedicated translator for a simulpub. It's also actively ignorant of the work pipeline involved in the process as well as how people actually make money from publishing...well anything, but especially manga.

Nevermind how long this process would last even if you made this literally-backwards system where the digital release crowdfunded the print release, AkumaChef forgets that Japanese publishers and studios are extremely protective of their IP and how it's represented. Remember: Japanese studios will send reps over to licensors in the US and demand changes to scripts (even if they make no sense) just because they can.

You're asking that they exchange this functional system where licensors and translators that they have a working rapport with, built up over several years, for a system where countless wholly-anonymous individuals with no discernable body of work submit countless translation scripts, without any of them conforming to any possible style guide or standard that the publisher would establish. Why open the door to any number of people making failed attempts at translating your script and messing up your exacting requirements when the people at Viz/Seven Seas/etc are doing it just fine and the money's rolling in like clockwork? Competitiveness is not a replacement for quality.

#900060 wrote:

2. I am a bit ambivalent that fan translations violate copy right
[...]
6. Since the manga translation, at least into English, is very slow [in general] some accommodation to faster albeit not authorized or approved fan based translation makes sense. It might provide data for authors and publishers to make business investment in translation.

You don't get to decide whether something is or isn't a violation of a person or company's copyright... just because you don't believe it is. That's not how law works, especially copyright law.

Also, I'd like to know what your standard for "slow" is, seeing as Shonen Jump+ has translations for their releases the same week as its Japanese release. LossThief already covered the stuff that "delays" the English translation (and I cannot put enough sarcastic airquotes over the "delay" part, stuff takes time to do properly man).
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:09 am Reply with quote
@AkumaChef

Aside from the objections listed above you are missing the obvious. The moment an episode is posted on the internet it is "out there" beyond recall. It immediately becomes the "official" Japanese release, just two weeks early. Even if you blocked Japan, all it would require is a single person outside Japan sending a copy to someone in the country. This would ruin magazine publication.

As to the rest of the world, the bulk of the same people who are rushing to make a fan translation (so they can get credit for being first) would simply post to the internet and never bother to send it to the company for approval.

The Japanese publishers are currently having difficulty stopping their own staff and distributors from releasing episodes prematurely. The system you are proposing would leak like a bottomless bucket.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:44 am Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:

Do you...not know how manga publishers make their money? Because they make it by selling the print magazine.

I'm not proposing any changes to them selling print magazines. They can still sell print magazines as they do now. Though, at some point they will be forced to change, just as how other industries have been. Magazine sales are dropping like mad. So are print books. Like it or not, people are moving to digital distribution. When you listen to music, do you drive to the record shop and buy an LP? Or do you listen to digital music? Just as how record companies evolved from literal "records" being their business, the Manga industry will be forced to do the same whether we like it or not.

Quote:
What you're proposing is that a publishing company release the digital version of a chapter 2 weeks before their print one

No. I'm not proposing any changes with respect to the timing releasing a digital version with respect to the print one. I'm suggesting that when they DO release a digital version (at whatever time they choose, just like the do now) they do so via crowdsourcing instead of the traditional methods. No changes to timing, other than the fact that crowdsourced translations happen faster tha pro ones.

Quote:
let me emphasize, would still be subject to the lengthy quality check and approval process by the publisher because no publisher is going to put out a translation they haven't checked and approved in this day and age

I'm confused why you think this needs emphasis. This whole time I've clearly stated that the rights hoders would do a quality check and approval. They do so for digital releases now already, so this is not a disadvantage to what I am proposing. The check itself would still have to happen, of course, but the translation work (a different step entirely) would be faster, and the platform would allow the QC and approval to be more streamlined.

Quote:
So you're proposing that the publishers essentially keep a full editorial department active 24 hours a day to immediately respond to presumably multiple submissions from effectively anonymous translator(s) in order to immediately review, edit, and select a preferred translation. And also provide feedback to those that aren't accepted. For dozens if not hundreds of series coming out every week.
Kind of. I think you're using a disengenious amount of hyperbole here. It won't take anywhere near as much effort as you might think. They wouldn't do ANY editing. Remember that editing what takes so long. The idea is to offload that to the crowd. The publishers only need to do approval. Yes or no. And if no, why. It's simply reading and clicking a button, nothing more. It can be easily steamlined, perhaps even with assistance from the fans themselves. Fans hate bad translations and sloppy work just as much as publishers do. The idea is to allow the publishers to have final approval, but to make that process as simple as possible for them.

Quote:
You're essentially saying translators should do free work for the chance that maybe they'll get paid. I know people like to break out the cannard that fan translators/scanlators are more "passionate" but passion is a poor excuse to do professional work for free.

They already do professional quality work for free right now. That's where pirate sites like Mangarock get their content from. Mangarock wasn't paying translators or ripping off commercial tranlations. Mangarock was stealing FREE translations made for fans by fans. Many translators don't care about money, they love their favorite series, or perhaps they want to get the name of their little circle out there (ego). What I am proposing would be an improvement on that system because they actually would get paid whereas today they do not.

Quote:
Frankly your entire idea rings of somebody who doesn't understand the logistics of translation, publishing, or hiring.

The current system is clearly failing hard, as Mangarock and its ilk prove. The system MUST change otherwise it will be undermined by the internet, just as how music and movies nearly were.

If you have a better idea feel free to share it, but just as with Napster 20 years ago, being a stick-in-the-mud for the current system is not going to solve the problem.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:31 am Reply with quote
Replica_Rabbit wrote:

The ranking part is the problem, the way you said it come off as paying the fan translators in an exposure instead of money. You don't need a ranking system if you paying the people correctly. If they not doing a good job, someone else better will take over.

Gotcha, I understand now.
I was suggesting that whomever creates the approved translation does get paid.
I was also suggesting, that in addition to that, people will compete for high rankings. We see this today with all forms of social media with people competing for views, likes, and followers. Those people (youtubers, instagram influencers, etc.) do get paid in addition to competing for their ranking.

I agree the ranking isn't essential, but it seems to be a strong motivating factor to some people, so why not harness that too?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:35 am Reply with quote
AkumaChef wrote:
Quote:
No. I'm not proposing any changes with respect to the timing releasing a digital version with respect to the print one. I'm suggesting that when they DO release a digital version (at whatever time they choose, just like the do now) they do so via crowdsourcing instead of the traditional methods. No changes to timing, other than the fact that crowdsourced translations happen faster tha pro ones.

In order to do the translation, your crowd of fan translators would need the digital copy in advance of the official digital release. Just how do you proposed to make that available without releasing the Japanese version to the world?
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:44 am Reply with quote
FinalVentCard wrote:

Nevermind how long this process would last even if you made this literally-backwards system where the digital release crowdfunded the print release,

I'm still confused as to why you guys think I'm talking about print releases. I'm not. I'm talking PURELY about digital releases. I'm very very confused why you guys are talking about print at all, especially since I didn't say one word about it in my proposal.

Quote:
AkumaChef forgets that Japanese publishers and studios are extremely protective of their IP and how it's represented. Remember: Japanese studios will send reps over to licensors in the US and demand changes to scripts (even if they make no sense) just because they can.

No, I don't forget that at all. losstheif brought that up in an earlier post (his complaint #3) and I agree 100% that it's a problem. But, like I said in my reply earlier in the topic, this is an ideological hurdle, not a technical one. I don't think its insurmountable. Just as how record companies finally understood that if they didn't get involved in the digital game it was going to destroy their business, eventually the Manga industry will have to make the same realization. If they don't, it will indeed destroy them. Digital distribution and crowdfunding are disruptive technologies. The Manga industry has two choices: they can be destroyed by those technologies, or they can own them, adapt, and grow.

Quote:
You're asking that they exchange this functional system where licensors and translators that they have a working rapport with, built up over several years, for a system where countless wholly-anonymous individuals with no discernable body of work submit countless translation scripts, without any of them conforming to any possible style guide or standard that the publisher would establish.

The current system isn't functional. It's being hammered with pirates who are willing to take advantage of modern tech.

Quote:
Why open the door to any number of people making failed attempts at translating your script and messing up your exacting requirements when the people at Viz/Seven Seas/etc are doing it just fine and the money's rolling in like clockwork? Competitiveness is not a replacement for quality.

1) Because there's no real cost involved. If people produce substandard translations then they don't get approved. When people produce good quality translations (as many, FREE, fan scanlators do currently) then you release those, and make money off it. It benefits the fans, since they now get to read manga in languages that had no official releases before, and it benefits the publishers since they are able to target new markets without the massive costs of inhouse or subsidized translation.
2) Because if they don't, piracy will only get worse than it is now.

Quote:
Also, I'd like to know what your standard for "slow" is, seeing as Shonen Jump+ has translations for their releases the same week as its Japanese release.

Shonen Jump is the exception, rather than the rule. Keep in mind that there's a ton of manga out there which doesn't even have an official translation at all, and probably never will. This sort of system would allow things like that to be translated with no cost to the publisher at all. All they have to do is approve a (free to them) translation and then they can start making money off of it, royalties go back to the original artist, and fans have a legal venue to read it instead of having to pirate it.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:57 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:

In order to do the translation, your crowd of fan translators would need the digital copy in advance of the official digital release.

No.

Quote:
Just how do you proposed to make that available without releasing the Japanese version to the world?

1) The publisher releases the Japanese digital version to the world on day zero. It is not held up to wait for translations. As soon as the publisher chooses to release it (presumably keeping in mind the timing of their print releases) they do so. No waiting on anything except their own internal schedule. No waiting on foreign translation.
2) Once the Japanese digital version is posted online the program becomes open for translation submissions
3) The various foreign language translations will trickle out just as quickly as the publisher can approve them.

Here's a hypothetical example.
Under the current system, a given Japanese digital chapter is ready on January 1. However, because they're waiting for a pro translation, they hold onto it for 2 weeks to wait for the pros to do their thing. Then, on January 14 they release both the Japanese and the English versions.
Everybody has to wait two weeks.

Under this proposal, the Japanese digital chapter is published on January 1, the same day that it's ready. Japanese-reading fans don't have to wait two weeks.
Crowsourced translators start working that same day, and submissions start coming in to the publisher
Once the publisher gets a translation which meets their standards for a given language they approve it, and it goes live. Perhaps the English and Chinese versions go live on the 3rd, the Korean on the 5th, the Russian and Spanish on the 8th, and so on. Of course we don't know exactly how long each language might take, but given past experience I've seen very high quality scanlations come out within 24 hours of a popular manga's release so the only appreciable delay is that for the publisher to review and approve--something which we have to wait for under the status quo anyway.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:22 am Reply with quote
AkumaChef wrote:

Here's a hypothetical example.
Under the current system, a given Japanese digital chapter is ready on January 1. However, because they're waiting for a pro translation, they hold onto it for 2 weeks to wait for the pros to do their thing. Then, on January 14 they release both the Japanese and the English versions.
Everybody has to wait two weeks.

Nope.

Here's how it actually happens:
1) The final art of the chapter is finished by the mangaka(s) and their assistants.
2) They send the final art to the editorial team, who then puts it together with the completed chapters of every other series in the magazine.
3) The editorail team then sends this to the printer. At the same time, the chapters for any series that is being simulpublished is sent privately to translators/editors
4) The next weeks are spent completing, editing, and lettering the translation, which is then reviewed by the JP publisher before being finalized.
5) The translated version is released internationally at 5am Japan Standard Time on the day the print magazine goes on sale. This is 2 weeks after the chapter was completed because that's how long it takes to mass produce and distribute it to retailers.

The timeline you're proposing would be

1) The final art of the chapter is finished by the mangaka(s) and their assistants.
2) They send the final art to the editorial team, who then puts it together with the completed chapters of every other series in the magazine
3) Simultaneously, the editorial team upload the chapter to a website
4) The next 24-72 hours is spent with the editorial team working in shifts to stay open for any number of anonymous translations to be sent in before sifting through each one to find one that's acceptable
5) They decide which one they like enough to pay them, while the others are just kinda SOL for their work, I guess.
6) 7-10 days later the print magazine is released because that's still how long the printing and distribution process takes, at which point the digital release has been out, in Japanese, for 2 weeks, and magazine sales tank even harder.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:58 am Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:

Nope.
3) Simultaneously, the editorial team upload the chapter to a website
4) The next 24-72 hours is spent with the editorial team working in shifts to stay open for any number of anonymous translations to be sent in before sifting through each one to find one that's acceptable
5) They decide which one they like enough to pay them, while the others are just kinda SOL for their work, I guess.

Fair enough, you're going into a lot more detail than I did, but I agree that's the basic gist of it. I do think Step #4 can be greatly improved though:
Machine filtering can reject obvious troll submissions. Junior employees can reject obvious poor quality. The next day, when the real editorial staff is back on the clock, they have short list of submissions to review.

As for the "others being SOL for their work", that's no different from the status quo. Fan translators aren't paid for their work right now, yet that's not stopping them from producing excellent quality translations. The difference with my proposal is at least some of them get paid, rather than none of them. And, of course, the publisher gets to approve the work. The only way to fight pirate sites like Mangarock is to offer an alternative which satisfies the demand of the market. It's exactly like replacing Napster with legal MP3 downloads. If the publishers don't find a way to do that then they will simply be playing an endless game of whack-a-mole with pirates, all the while missing out on a huge source of revenue.

Quote:
6) 7-10 days later the print magazine is released because that's still how long the printing and distribution process takes, at which point the digital release has been out, in Japanese, for 2 weeks, and magazine sales tank even harder.

Print media sales are already tanking. Whether you or I like it or not is immaterial; that's simply the way things are going. You can either die trying to fight it in vain, or you can adapt and survive. Countless newspapers and magazines are dead, because that's not what the average, casual, reader wants. Hardcore fans will still buy tankobon.

Personally, I greatly prefer reading print manga, just as how I prefer listening to music on physical media such as LPs (yes, really!). I like the experience of getting the LP out of its sleeve and cuing up the needle just the same way that I like the feel of a paper book. But that doesn't change the fact that the biggest market demand is for digital, and that is where the market is headed. The manga industry can either adapt or die trying. I would rather see the artists work be enjoyed by more people, and put more money in their pockets rather than seeing the industry wither and die because they refuse to adapt to the times and be slowly sucked dry trying to fight an unwinnable war against pirates.

That said, if the industry wanted to maintain control of the timing of releases, they could still do so via a crowdfunding model: the translated chapters could simply go live when the print volume does. That wouldn't offer a speed advantage to fans, but it would still remove the burden of paying for upfront translations and editing from the manga publisher. Under the current system that work costs money even if the sales of that product tank. Under the proposed system, nobody gets paid unless the work is actually read. Not to mention it would facilitate the release of translations for older titles that cannot be simulpublished. There are still many advantages to a crowdsourced system, even if they choose to not make speed one of them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6