• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Carole & Tuesday—Episodes 1-12 streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:58 pm Reply with quote
I see they corrected Angela's name from "Angelica" but apparently in doing so triggered the auto linker to the rl artist angela's Encyclopedia page and subsequently spelled her name lower case A every occurrence except the final sentence. Smile Can't win for trying!
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:02 pm Reply with quote
I also liked the episodes currently in Netflix. It is interesting to me that this show has the hallmarks of a Watanabe show, but he has not directed any episode.

CorneredAngel wrote:
I feel that many, if not most of the people who start watching this will find it very hard to resist the urge to watch the whole thing straight through.

Yep. I am pirating the rest because I am too invested in the show to be able to wait on Netflix.
Axbox360

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:17 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I also liked the episodes currently in Netflix. It is interesting to me that this show has the hallmarks of a Watanabe show, but he has not directed any episode

Yes. But he storyboarded episode 1. Wrote the script for episode 12 and is credited as the original creator of the anime.
Mr. Toto

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:55 am Reply with quote
Is ANN owned and sponsored by the anime companies? Y’all really know how to protect your own in the industry... not a bad thing, but I can’t say that I trust James Beckett’s words on this one.

I didn’t watch the whole show; just episode 1 and the final one on Netflix. The vision of terraformed Mars feels almost antiquarian; I wasn’t impressed with their vision for the future and certain aspects felt outdated.

My biggest gripe, however, is with the dub. I truly don’t think the Anime industry understands how much money they’re leaving on the table with these subpar dubs. Have the people left in charge even talked to a teenage girl in 2019? They don’t talk or sound anything like Tuesday’s dub actress plays her.

To make matters worse, anime is rapidly approaching new highs in popularity (if not already) in the West. It is fashionable. Kim Kardashian watches Darling in the FRANXX. You all are missing so many opportunities at this moment and it’s baffling to see.
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:56 am Reply with quote
jellybeanbandit wrote:

Specifically it refers to the growing taboo in western media where only X people can voice or write for X characters. In the case of anime dubbing, it's the idea that only Japanese-Americans should be allowed to dub anime otherwise it's digital yellowface and that white, black, Hispanic, and other ethnic people need to leave the industry in favor of Japanese-American talent getting their proper recognition.

Ehh, just for the record, in the Latin American Spanish dub, Carole's voice actress is voiced by a Japanese-Mexican voice actress named Harumi Nishizawa, and she speaks with a somewhat notable foreign accent, through you need to able to speak and understand Spanish to notice this, and even with that, it's not annoying by any means.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:41 am Reply with quote
Mr. Toto wrote:
My biggest gripe, however, is with the dub. I truly don’t think the Anime industry understands how much money they’re leaving on the table with these subpar dubs. Have the people left in charge even talked to a teenage girl in 2019? They don’t talk or sound anything like Tuesday’s dub actress plays her.

Tuesday's been sheltered her entire life. Why would she talk like modern teenagers?
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:45 am Reply with quote
This is definitely a good show, even considering that I'm not a big fan of western pop music. The only thing that bothers me is that in my opinion the show is not so much trying to pay tribute to American culture, but to use as many trendy american's tropes as possible. It is more like "we want to be financially successful in the US" than the simple "we want to show how we love American culture".

@Mr. Toto I am also often annoyed by how mainstream and poppy the attitude towards anime in the West has become recently. But this is a matter of attitude, and not of the content itself.
db999

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:11 am Reply with quote
I really liked Carole and Tuesday but I didn’t think it’s good enough that I’d give it an A ranking. Personally I’d learn more to either a B or maybe a B+ The first 5-6 episodes I’d definitely rate an A, but the American Idol/X-Factor arc is a step down from the earlier episodes. It actually reminded me a lot of Yuri on Ice, but with the opposite problem. Yuri on Ice sometimes suffered by having some of the competitions condensed into too short of a time, which led to characters not getting as much character development as I think they should have. However, Carole and Tuesday suffers from having the arc last for too many episodes. I think 6 was a bit too much and think it would have benefited by lasting for only 3 or 4 episodes. While I did like the parodic elements of this arc and the musical variety of some of the artists, none of them really warrant the amount of time given to them.

The only interesting part of this was the role Cybelle played in it, spoiler[with her being a creepily obsessed fan, but it felt kind of swept under the rug by the end of the episodes. When she gets caught at the end she makes a big show lying that Tuesday betrayed her by promising to start a duo with her, and then give villain smile, but nothing came out of it. I thought that they might to some kind of media backlash against Tuesday, because of Cybelle’s lie and Tuesday’s politician mom but nothing comes of it. I suppose it could still go that way but it seems unlikely].

I also thought the whole conflict of AI writing the songs didn’t play as large a role as I thought it would going into the series. I originally thought that there would be almost no human’s actually singing songs and that only AI’s would be singing. The first 2 episodes make a show of doing this, but then it seems to backtrack on this a bit, by having most songs still sung by humans, and just written by, or including AI elements. I can’t help but be slightly disappointed, but I still largely enjoyed the show. My only other flaw is that I can’t quite see Carole and Tuesday’s songs being as revolutionary as the characters in the show seem to. I thought their songs were good, but the other songs were way more interesting. The main duo’s songs are mostly soft acoustic guitar/piano ballade’s and I can’t quite see these types of songs making such a big splash in the real world.

The songs are all good though and I only really disliked that one heavy metal song in the singing competition. I’m hoping the characters they met at the Cydonia festival and the Music Competition come back later on. My guess at what the 7-minute miracle that they talk about at the beginning of every episode is probably going to be a 7-minute song with a bunch of the singers introduced in the series collaborating on it. I personally hope that the actually bring back the opening theme Kiss Me and perform it near the end of the show, because I think it’s the best opening theme this year.
jdnation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:23 pm Reply with quote
I really like the show. But at the same time I have to also admit that it is at times hammy and cliched. But the sum of its parts is enjoyable, if only because of how radically different it is from the usual stuff we get.

I also must echo the point about the 'Mar's Got Talent' show kind of took longer than necessary and had a bunch of contrived conveniences and the finale wrapped up a bit too conveniently too for an arc that required much more time and detail to make an impact.

That said, I'm still digging it. The English dub is definitely the way to go for this show if you're wondering about dub or sub. Dub is far superior and meshes well with the English music.

As for the music itself, I'm enjoying it quite a bit. The OP and EDs are awesome and catchy and so are several tracks in the show. Yes, it's not exactly original or ground-breaking where Carole & Tuesday's pieces are concerned... and that's kind of the point I think...

Even the show itself acknowledges that they are both amateurs and their music is cliche, yet at the same time there is indeed talent there, great voices, and it's the kind of cute heartwarming and melodramatic stuff that you'd expect two young girls to come up with.

So Carole and Tuesday are essentially genuinely making songs they love to sing, so they're quite 'indy' and genuine versus the rest of the talent that is built on AI and market research to produce something made to be successful in the mainstream, or going beyond the bounds to produce something entirely new and avant garde or whatever. Which is not to say there's a right or wrong approach to making stuff people like. It's just that the two of them are the underdogs and the whole show is about them trying to get some success and going through every trick in the book.

Essentially Carole and Tuesday are 'old-fashioned' and their music is also more nostalgic pop that might've been big in a past era, but still heartfelt enough that you can't help but like it. But naturally that might obviously not be to everyone's taste, different strokes and all...

With clues peppered throughout season 1 and what is developing in season 2, the whole thing with AI and music seems to be a big theme that essentially has to do with reaching people or giving people what they want to hear versus something they didn't know they wanted, and there's a kind of contrast between the music industry and politics to show how similar methods of doing things can be parallel.

There are some current-world things going on in the background of the show, and it makes sense why the creators decided on Mars for several reasons - so they can touch on some current day topics without just directly tying them to any particular countries so that nobody feels pointed at or alienated - to have a larger diverse cast and some other newfangled reasons for some particular character's circumstances - to portray AI in music, politics, everyday life etc. in more visually interesting ways which can easily be imagined in a future setting versus whatever we have today.

Overall, a pretty interesting show in my opinion, and I'll definitely want the OST. For those that might prefer to binge watch, I'd recommend the dub over sub, though you might also want to wait longer until season 2 is also out on Netflix so that you can take the whole thing in.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:00 am Reply with quote
As much as the competition could be accused of taking up time, I honestly think that it was worth some of the interesting performances, from OG Bulldog to the Mermaid Sisters, or even Pyotr.

In terms of unfortunate queer character representation, I think the show has more positives to negatives. Nothing was really made weird about Gus' ex being a lesbian, he did not seem to have much problems. And you could probably make cases for Benito, Pyotr and maybe Ertegun to have levels of bisexuality or more, and all three are kind of likable even if a little campy. Probably the worst might Cybelle as a lesbian stalker, but I hardly think the show made it an issue because she is a lesbian, not with again how Gus' ex was. And you perhaps could say there is a problem with Dahlia as seemingly unattractive example of transgender or drag queen like appearance, but Dahlia does seem to have their own tough time and has kind of felt more sympathetic over time. Not sure how far went into the first 12 episodes, but Dahlia spoiler[pretty much seems to have contracted an androgyny syndrome from the Mars, essentially giving a forced gender shift later in life], not their fault, and a victim of something that caused personal issues. I have become to like Dahlia more just as I have liked Angela and even Tao.

Dahlia should be like some sort of awful gay stereotype like the feminine character in TTGL, but if anything I think there might even be value to the not being judgemental over someone not passing too well.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:59 am Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
Axbox360 wrote:
Quote:
some queer and POC characters are stereotyped for the sake of gags

And so were the non-POC and non-Queer people and even the AI robots. Confused

I guess the reviewer was listening to Tumblr.

I personally thought that Carole & Tuesday handled POC and queer characters better than a lot Western-produced works have.

As a latino-american person this anime "representation" annoys me greatly.
It's shallow and stereotyped.
Is really that good to have "representation" this way?

Don't help that the story and episodes aren't that good either, with some unbelievable cringe inducing Shocked scenes.
timber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I also thought the whole conflict of AI writing the songs didn’t play as large a role as I thought it would going into the series. I originally thought that there would be almost no human’s actually singing songs and that only AI’s would be singing.

The good old "Macross+" handled that side much better.
As a whole C&T feels more retro than futuristic. I still see episode 15 when they are invited by the legend "Desmond", Carole thinks of an old record of him she found in her childhood and you see a vinyl. More than old, for Carole that should look like an archaeological discovery!
MiiyoSon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Yeah James just basically reflected my thoughts on the show. I really really like it but that Mars Brightest arc is not very good mainly because we're spending too much time in one place.
vallum

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:03 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Mr. Toto wrote:

Tuesday's been sheltered her entire life. Why would she talk like modern teenagers?

That.

And also, they are not in 2019 and not even on Earth, so who knows...
Mr. Toto

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:42 am Reply with quote
vallum wrote:
v1cious wrote:
Mr. Toto wrote:

That.

And also, they are not in 2019 and not even on Earth, so who knows...

These are just convenient excuses for a poor performance. Tuesday doesn’t talk like a human being, sheltered or not. It’s completely at odds with the actress who sings for her, who actually sounds like a person. Talk to a rich girl from the hills of LA and see if she sounds even close to Tuesday.

My point is that it represents a missed opportunity. The anime is visually appealing but will never be a mainstream hit because of its direction. When will anime dubs stop with all of these unnatural performances?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3