• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What anime would you like to see a high quality remake of?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Suppose that you are given the ability to choose any existing anime and have it remade with a sky-high, record-smashing, budget.
Assume that you don't have full creative control over the show, of course, but you do have a bit of sway: perhaps you can change some minor plot points or make a small number of casting changes. You can edit out a little content, you can add a bit of content that you felt was missing. But you can't make major changes, you can't totally rewrite the plot or change endings.

What show do you resurrect with top-tier animation? Do you take an already great show and make it better, or do you rescue a diamond in the rough? What tweaks do you make, if any?

Honestly, I'm torn between two choices so I'll list them both.

First: Key the Metal Idol This was the title I had in mind when I started writing the topic. It's one of my favorite shows of all time, and while I don't think the animation is bad, I'd love to see it with the high-budget treatment. Other than the animation improvements I don't think I'd change a thing.

Second: Outlaw Star It's not my favorite show, and I don't even think it's in my top 20. But, I like it a lot and I think it's an example of a show that has a lot of mediocre (or worse) animation in it, and I think that fixing that would elevate it from a good show to a great one.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:43 pm Reply with quote
So this is essentially a list of good shows with bad animation.

Ok, mine would be Haibane Renmei. I liked it, and I liked that they tried something different and succeeded. But many people just can't stand how bad the animation is. So it would be improved by a major touch-up job.

Of current shows this season, Cop Craft is catching a lot of heat for it's animation problems. Besides other problems. Whether or not it would be worth saving/helping, time will tell.

Now, if we could get into shows that need, say, a completely different opener or closer, because what it has is a complete lie, that's another story... ( Neo Ranga, I'm looking at you. ) Also, the second half of the show makes no sense at all to me. So, if it were allowed, that would be a candidate for a major re-working job.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:45 am Reply with quote
Nom De Plume De Fanboy wrote:
So this is essentially a list of good shows with bad animation.

Not necessarily, it could simply be your favorite show, or perhaps a show that you think might be greatly improved by making minor changes.

I was very tempted to mention things like Madoka Magica or Macross Plus too....not because I think the animation is bad--quite the opposite, really--but because of how amazing those shows might be if the animation were even better.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:10 pm Reply with quote
AkumaChef wrote:

I was very tempted to mention things like Madoka Magica or Macross Plus too....not because I think the animation is bad--quite the opposite, really--but because of how amazing those shows might be if the animation were even better.

Instead of doing Macross Plus, they should redo the original Macross TV series with updated animation that matches the more modern Macross aesthetic!
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Needing (or at least it could use) an update, an introduction to a few new generations, and a technological upgrade- Future Boy Conan / Conan, Boy of the Future

...Although I kinda guess it would be a post-death Miyazaki tribute kind of project though. Otherwise he'd probably need too much involvement for a project that would take TONS of attention to meet his standards. I'm not sure it really needs to be full blown Ghibli masterpiece after all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Needing (or at least it could use) an update, an introduction to a few new generations, and a technological upgrade- Future Boy Conan / Conan, Boy of the Future

I hadn't thought of that when I made the topic, but you know that's a really good suggestion. And it's not just Conan either, I feel that a lot of classic anime doesn't get much interest these days because the older art style is a turnoff to some viewers. There are a ton of titles from the 70's and earlier which would probably reach a whole new audience if they were updated in such a fashion.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Juuni Kokuki is beautiful in its own way, but I wouldn't mind seeing a remake.
EternalDreamz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:52 am Reply with quote
I’d honestly love to see an HD remake of Genocyber tbh. The OVA was really good and it kept me interested in it. Also i think Gunsmith Cats would look cool af in HD too!
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:00 pm Reply with quote
How many of you have seen the Angel Densetsu OAV?

I personally think the current trends of characters with contradictory traits would make a full anime based on this comedy manga, from the creator of Claymore, a natural choice.

It's been a few years since I watched it but I remember LMAO and wondering how far it could go.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:42 am Reply with quote
EternalDreamz wrote:
I’d honestly love to see an HD remake of Genocyber tbh. The OVA was really good and it kept me interested in it. Also i think Gunsmith Cats would look cool af in HD too!

I like Gunsmith Cats a lot, but I never found its animation to be weak in the slightest. I'd much rather it be longer than be remade; it's already got above average attention to detail as it is!
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:17 pm Reply with quote
I would love to see the forst Vampire Hunter D. The animation was not great, and some characters look like if they had no necks in some stills, so a better animation (eve along the lines of what Kawajiri did with Bloodlust) would be fab. Escaflowne could be improved with character design (those noses!)
gsilver

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
How many of you have seen the Angel Densetsu OAV?

I personally think the current trends of characters with contradictory traits would make a full anime based on this comedy manga, from the creator of Claymore, a natural choice.

It's been a few years since I watched it but I remember LMAO and wondering how far it could go.

A full TV series of it would be great. I’d love to see the big “Yakuza” battle animated.
hidenime.com

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:44 am Reply with quote
Hellsing... i think this anime should have the chance
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:33 am Reply with quote
Higurashi: When they Cry (all arcs) and Umineko: When they Cry.

Both were very well done, but they were incomplete. Very much so in Umineko's case. There was so much more they could've added, and their omission disappointed me. I love horror anime.

For that matter, King's Game could do with a remake/reboot. There have been several iterations of it made by the mangaka.

Quote:
Hellsing... i think this anime should have the chance

They've made Hellsing Ultimate. I don't see what more they could do, other than a full remake of the entire manga.
bones2039

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:55 pm Reply with quote
My choice would Love Hina. I love the manga. Part of that is because I read it when I was struggling with what I wanted to do in life and I really found Keitaro to be a kindred spirit in some was. His drive to get into school spoke to me at a time when I had flamed out at my initial college and Wasn't sure what to do with my life. In many ways I really understood Keitaro, minus the harem of course.

The anime has always been disappointing to me. I own it, but only because I loved the manga so much. In fact they are the old Bandai single DVD releases that I picked up used. I would love a more manga faithful version. I would even settle for a manga faithful adaption of several of Ken Akamatsu other works.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2