• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Mignogna Receives Court Order to Appear at Friday Hearing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:14 pm Reply with quote
If the claims about Sabat are also true, fire them both. Get rid of all the creepers. People can be opposed to more than one creep at a time and I have no loyalty to any one celebrity.
Azure-Wind91

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:15 pm Reply with quote
I served on a jury a few weeks ago, and even though it was just a small insight into the legal system I did come away with enough to say this: The bulk of the people who comment on this case have zero idea how the legal system works. Not meant as a slight against anyone in this forum, just the nonsense I've seen on Twitter and YouTube is pitiful, from *both* sides.
connysanada

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:50 pm Reply with quote
About Sabat, according to https://mobile.twitter.com/itsTomokocchi/status/1169756940966256640?p=v, Nadolny stated that her Twitter account was hacked and nothing happened between her and him.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Azure-Wind91 wrote:
I served on a jury a few weeks ago, and even though it was just a small insight into the legal system I did come away with enough to say this: The bulk of the people who comment on this case have zero idea how the legal system works.

This article, in particular, seems extremely technical, and I will freely admit that I don't get much of it other than that they're having some sort of counter-counter-counter-lawsuit. I'm very skeptical that anyone who doesn't work in the legal system fully understands what's happening here. Which, in addition to the inevitable shouting match below any article with "Mignogna" in the title, makes me wonder why ANN even allows comments on this subject. Maybe they just don't have a "no comments" switch programmed in...
StarfighterPegasus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:37 pm Reply with quote
connysanada wrote:
About Sabat, according to https://mobile.twitter.com/itsTomokocchi/status/1169756940966256640?p=v, Nadolny stated that her Twitter account was hacked and nothing happened between her and him.
I think ISWV owes Nadolny and Chris an apology.
Azure-Wind91

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:00 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
This article, in particular, seems extremely technical, and I will freely admit that I don't get much of it other than that they're having some sort of counter-counter-counter-lawsuit. I'm very skeptical that anyone who doesn't work in the legal system fully understands what's happening here. Which, in addition to the inevitable shouting match below any article with "Mignogna" in the title, makes me wonder why ANN even allows comments on this subject. Maybe they just don't have a "no comments" switch programmed in...

No doubt that would just stoke conspiracy theories about ANN being in league with FUNi. Because for some reason that conspiracy is a thing...
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:06 pm Reply with quote
So we can basically say this.

Sabat is an innocent person. There was a twitter hack that caused a mess up big time, which Beard and co. jumped on along with Chuck Huber to try to derail the case off the forgery and such. And now the stans are leaping to conclusions instead of being normal and READING EVERYTHING WITH A FINE TOOTH COMB AS THEY SHOULD!

*steps off soap box*
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:21 pm Reply with quote
GolfDude wrote:
but lets not talk about kickvic attempting to make a fake gofundme and trying to pretend to be nick rekieta today.. something that breaks federal law...

but kickvic's side is always in the right huh?

vic getting notice to appear in court is NON NEWS

I'm not part of the coverage, but the answers to this question are pretty obvious. ANN hadn't been reporting on the supporting and fringe cast. ANN's articles have been about the legal proceedings between Mignogna, Funimation, Rial, Toye and Marchi. The stickers haven't been about the social media supporters or critics of either side. I'm not sure if ANN has ever even covered Rekieta. Since ANN never covered his mistakes (or successes), why would ANN cover the mistakes of even less significant people on "the other side?"
Expias

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Ty Beard filed a motion to squash the subpoena in the most asinine way. Instead of going with "Vic has prior business in a state X miles away" he went with something that doesn't even work.

A) It's not privileged.
B) Beard jumped the shark trying to use that because Lemoine's subpoena doesn't even say what they want Vic to testify on. Beard -thinks- it is about the forgery and fraudulent notarization.

And then he filed an amendment less than 36 hours of the hearing to a motion? Oof.
StarfighterPegasus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:55 pm Reply with quote
tee2330 wrote:
This case has exploded way too damn much, seriously now almost every anime fan is following it, depending on which side you're on you'll get a bunch of people providing evidence to make it seem like the other side has no chance and are villains or something.

I got introduced to this through yellowflash2's videos so I'm really one sided since I got the impression that because funi employees used false allegations to fire the guy because they don't like him, it's even been stated from funimation employees that Chris and lots of other people didn't like Vic and talked smack behind his back.

from my perspective #kickvic are a bunch of gullible people who'll believe anything the voice actors say without question, and the #standwithvic people are the good guys digging up evdiance and starting a gofund me telling Vic to hire a lawyer because they genially think Vic didn't do it, either because their fans or how he's just such a nice guy, he seems like the most genuine person out of everyone.

Let's have the court decide instead of bickering about it ourselves, I've bet my money on the fact he's innocent, let's see who wins.
I watch him too but I got the opposite. Vic is use to playing the nice guy role, but that is something only the fans get to see. I'd trust people who worked with Vic personally over fans who got to see him at convictions.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:02 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
This article, in particular, seems extremely technical, and I will freely admit that I don't get much of it other than that they're having some sort of counter-counter-counter-lawsuit. I'm very skeptical that anyone who doesn't work in the legal system fully understands what's happening here.

Thankfully, there have been quite a few professional lawyers commenting about it on Twitter. Smile IANAL myself, but the way it was explained to me, it comes down to this:

Quote:
Sec. 27.005. RULING.

(a) The court must rule on a motion [to dismiss the case as a SLAPP] under Section 27.003 not later than the 30th day following the date of the hearing on the motion.

(b) Except as provided by Subsection (c), on the motion of a party under Section 27.003, a court shall dismiss a legal action against the moving party [Funimation et al] if the moving party shows by a preponderance of the evidence that the legal action is based on, relates to, or is in response to the party's exercise of:

1. the right of free speech;
  2. the right to petition; or
  3. the right of association.

(c) The court may not dismiss a legal action under this section if the party bringing the legal action [Mignogna] establishes by clear and specific evidence a prima facie case for each essential element of the claim in question.

(d) Notwithstanding the provisions of Subsection (c), the court shall dismiss a legal action against the moving party if the moving party establishes by a preponderance of the evidence each essential element of a valid defense to the nonmovant's claim.

The bold part is what Beard was trying to accomplish with the 1,100-plus-page document he filed last weekend. Consensus from lawyer commentators is that it was inept in the extreme -- less "I've got clear and specific evidence here, here, and here" and more "eh, there's clear and specific evidence somewhere in this gigantic mess, go find it yourself". There's no clear incentive for them to be bringing up Sabat at all, especially because the whole premise of the lawsuit is that the harm from Mignogna's lost income and such came from the specific actions of the defendants -- and Sabat isn't a defendant. (Worse yet, Mignogna himself had already testified that Marchi and Rial's comments were just the straw that broke the camel's back after years of mutterings, which is the exact opposite of what he should be arguing.)

I've mostly been reading Mike Dunford's threads for in-depth analysis of the various documents involved; they've struck me as pretty well-argued. (For his analysis of last weekend's filing, see part 1 and part 2.) Still, even he's been dumbfounded by some of Ty Beard's actions, like the fake signatures. Or not just saying "Your Honor, my client can't come on Friday because he'll be in Burbank".

Bottom line, these legal proceedings have become a dumpster fire, and I very much doubt the judge is happy with the plaintiff or his counsel at this point.

kotomikun wrote:
Which, in addition to the inevitable shouting match below any article with "Mignogna" in the title, makes me wonder why ANN even allows comments on this subject. Maybe they just don't have a "no comments" switch programmed in...

If it came down to it, they could always have a moderator start the comment thread and immediately lock it.

tee2330 wrote:
This case has exploded way too damn much, seriously now almost every anime fan is following it, depending on which side you're on you'll get a bunch of people providing evidence to make it seem like the other side has no chance and are villains or something.

Interestingly, this fact is relevant to the case itself, because the furor's been happening in large part because Mignogna is one of the most high-profile anime VAs in the country -- that is, a public figure, which means he has to prove things a private figure wouldn't.

Last edited by Shay Guy on Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
StarfighterPegasus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Vic isn't going to be happy if he has to show up to court tomorrow.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:22 pm Reply with quote
The amount of ridiculous conspiracy theory and trollish posts in here is amazing. Let's stop with it alright. As it has been said countless times by now, the news staff will report on things when they have legitimate things to post. After they have investigated things. Not after every single pointless twitter or youtube article goes up.
theNightster

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:33 pm Reply with quote
not choosing side but things aren't looking too good for Funimation over this case.
StarfighterPegasus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:38 pm Reply with quote
crazieanimefan1 wrote:
So we can basically say this.

Sabat is an innocent person. There was a twitter hack that caused a mess up big time, which Beard and co. jumped on along with Chuck Huber to try to derail the case off the forgery and such. And now the stans are leaping to conclusions instead of being normal and READING EVERYTHING WITH A FINE TOOTH COMB AS THEY SHOULD!

*steps off soap box*
Could you verify so people will know?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4