• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Mignogna Receives Court Order to Appear at Friday Hearing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:42 am Reply with quote
tee2330 wrote:
I already made a long post (that for some reason got taken down because I'm on Vic's side) what is ANN against Vic aren't news sites supposed to be unbiased?

This'll probably get taken down anyway, but I'll put in my two cents for what it's worth, I got introduced to this case by yellowflash, it just came up in my youtube recommended list because i was watching videos about dragon ball super broly.
All the articles I've read, including this one, are dry and dull, just stating what has happened and what people have said, and in some cases making correction to past errors. If there is any bias, it's very low-key.

And every time in the past when I've heard anyone say that ANN(or anyone else) is biased against Vic, it's always from someone who is outright biased themselves in favour of Vic.Almost like they consider anything that is not taking Vics side, to be biased against him.
Seif

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:14 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
ZODDGUTS wrote:
Why isn't the the homophobic voice clips reported as least as a separate news issue? Funimation being one of ANN's biggest sponsors shouldn't stop them from reporting it.

My guess with them not reporting on it is that there's nothing to go on. That and there seems to be too many people who are trying to get that some exposure to take away from the allegations surrounding Mignogna or backhandingly thinking that's going to get Vic his jobs back.

Ironically his fans have done a fantastic job of guaranteeing that no one will want to touch Vic.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:26 am Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
Interesting to see what happens with this, especially considering he's apparently going to be at some event when he's meant to be in court? Of course, the event was organised well before this court order happened, and he can cancel his attendance at that event so it doesn't mean much yet...

Sure Vic could skip court to go to an anime convention, then he would be held in contempt of court and be fined, possibly even jailed, or in this case, the entire lawsuit be dismissed with extreme prejudice.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:32 am Reply with quote
seoulman1985 wrote:
Could any of photo of him be used instead of that one for the headline? It must have been the most consistent one used to represent him in this whole string of news and the entire event this year. No offense meant, yet looking at that photo just gives me the creeps, on purpose or not.

lol I know what you mean, but if you had read Vic's deposition, in it he comments on how good looking he is when looking at THAT particular photo.
StarfighterPegasus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:34 am Reply with quote
Seif wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:
ZODDGUTS wrote:
Why isn't the the homophobic voice clips reported as least as a separate news issue? Funimation being one of ANN's biggest sponsors shouldn't stop them from reporting it.

My guess with them not reporting on it is that there's nothing to go on. That and there seems to be too many people who are trying to get that some exposure to take away from the allegations surrounding Mignogna or backhandingly thinking that's going to get Vic his jobs back.

Ironically his fans have done a fantastic job of guaranteeing that no one will want to touch Vic.
True, by using Vic to support their cause, the fans outright destroyed Vic's private person status meaning he now has more to prove in order to win the defermation case.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:41 am Reply with quote
tee2330 wrote:

The jellybean incident and way he acted was normal in the work environment apparently, according to statements from a Funi employee before the "No Hugs" policy that happened when Funi got by Sony when they bought them out it was a very perverted place.

Three things:

1) Mignogna isn't suing because he was fired unfairly. Legally, the only basis for such a suit would be if the firing were discriminatory or in retaliation for some legally protected activity, like unionizing or reporting misconduct. Neither is the case here. It is irrelevant to his suit.

2) "You can't fire me for harassment! Other employees are doing it too!" would never be a winning argument, even if Texas weren't an at-will employment state and Mignogna weren't a contractor.

3) Mignogna was fired for behavior far worse than the "jellybean incident" that stans keep harping on. (Pro-tip: if you want to sound like someone with an independent opinion, and not just another stan from KiwiFarms, don't use the same terminology every stan has used for the last eight months.)
JustinTaco

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:31 am Reply with quote
tee2330 wrote:
I already made a long post (that for some reason got taken down because I'm on Vic's side) what is ANN against Vic aren't news sites supposed to be unbiased?

Pointing out that someone is wrong is not biased. Not all knowledge is relative.

A hypothetical article criticizing Chuck Huber for believing the Earth is flat (among other things) is not biased, because the Earth is not flat and Huber is wrong.

Same thing here, everything in these articles has been from Lynzee interviewing multiple relevant parties and looking at court documents. It is not biased to assume actual research is correct vs. a bunch of unsubstantiated nonsense Ty Beard collected in illegally submitted affidavits that has been rebroadcasted a hundred times by sketchy Youtubers making money off this conspiracy.

tee2330 wrote:
I won't get deep into facts

You don't have to worry about that, because you haven't gotten anywhere in any facts.
Expias

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:15 am Reply with quote
For anyone following, Nick is at the hearing and Vic is not. They'll hear about the notary fraud and affidavit later.

Apparently the case against Jamie Marchi for TI was just dismissed from the bench. Oof for Ty Beard. Someone with a TX bar card is live-tweeting.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:29 am Reply with quote
tee2330 wrote:
I already made a long post (that for some reason got taken down because I'm on Vic's side) what is ANN against Vic aren't news sites supposed to be unbiased?m but he got it anyway and they had to wait until it sold well until they made their move.

Your post was removed because it was little more than victim blaming and bad faith arguing. Just like this post of yours which has zero credibility and no actual facts presented. We've already said countless times such posts won't be tolerated. Plus you want to bring up the ridiculous jellybean bs that we've also said countless times in countless threads to drop. It's utterly ridiculous and has no bearing on anything. Now if you continue with making such posts they will continue to be removed and you will be placed on moderation.

ZODDGUTS wrote:

As has been said countless times the news staff is not going to cover every single stupid little twitter post or claim. The things they are going to cover they will take their time to verify things first before making articles. Not simply post knee jerk reactionary articles. Funimation being a sponsor has zero to do with things and claiming otherwise is just another pointless conspiracy theory.
JustinTaco

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:27 pm Reply with quote
The Friday hearing is over, 11 of 14 charges have been dismissed, if I've followed the live tweets and analysis correctly.

https://twitter.com/Terez27/status/1170032308944101377

https://twitter.com/ottovonbisbark/status/1170032514750017536

Marchi is completely out. The 3 claims left are defamation against Funimation, Rial, and Toye. However, the judge ruled that Vic is a Limited-Purpose Public Figure, which means Beard will have an extremely difficult time even arguing the remaining 3.

I figure Lynzee will have a better and more thorough summary of the days events out soon enough though.
theNightster

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Marchi won her case at least, I wonder how them YouTube people are going to react
ranran-001

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:42 pm Reply with quote
You hear that Vic fans?

Jamie got her TCPA on the first day, at the bench. Do you understand how unusual that is? A bench ruling like that?

No of course not.

Let me sum it up for you.

Vic is gonna have to pay for Jamie's legal expenses.

Second, TI has been dismissed across all three remaining defendants. Without TI, he cannot prove the extent of the damages. So even with a defamation ruling(unlikely however), Vic will have ZERO proof of how much he can collect on damages.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:30 pm Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
Marchi won her case at least, I wonder how them YouTube people are going to react

They're probably going to say "Justice has failed." If Vic killed a baby, they would say he did it in self-defense.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:00 am Reply with quote
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:12 am Reply with quote
This is a thread about a Vic Mignogna. Complaints about ANN's coverage belong in the feedback thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4