• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mignogna's Civil Case Against Voice Actress Jamie Marchi Dismissed

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IMJinnie
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Absolutely thrilled for Jamie. Nice to see sanity starting to prevail.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:58 pm Reply with quote
TrailOfDead wrote:
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
theNightster wrote:
Except to see another 5 page argument

Hey, look, the judge did exactly what we've been saying he'd do for the last eight months. It's almost like people here knew what they were talking about.

if you're trying to tell me that all these Twitter lawyers knowing exactly what would happen is because "they know the law" rather than a decades-long conspiracy to get an anime dub actor fired, then buddy, I have a landlocked lot in Oklahoma to sell you

They don't read minds. They just aren't stupid. I can't say the same for people who watch youtube "lawyers" who drink toilet quality whiskey and scream racist, sexist obscenities at victims of sexual assault.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:11 pm Reply with quote
ranran-001 wrote:
I don't think Lemoine is going to screw around, drink and scream on youtube, or go to conventions and yuck it up for autographs with fans. He will be at work.

Judging from the livetweets of today's hearing, he's more overdramatic than the other defense attorneys, but he has the basic level of competence that Beard lacks.
Ashabel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:14 pm Reply with quote
TrailOfDead wrote:
if you're trying to tell me that all these Twitter lawyers knowing exactly what would happen is because "they know the law" rather than a decades-long conspiracy to get an anime dub actor fired, then buddy, I have a landlocked lot in Oklahoma to sell you

I think the most terrifying part of this entire thread is that I cannot tell whether this is sarcasm or not.

Shay Guy wrote:
Judging from the livetweets of today's hearing, he's more overdramatic than the other defense attorneys, but he has the basic level of competence that Beard lacks.

To be fair to him, having a legal opponent like Screech and Percy practically demands that you ham it up. When your case is already a particularly inept episode of Ace Attorney, you might as well go full Phoenix Wright for a hearing or two.
n1nn1nn1n

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:25 pm Reply with quote
I feel like with all the Ace Attorney comparisons, Ty is about as competent a lawyer as Furio Tigre is right about now
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:38 pm Reply with quote
This was nothing short of a fifty car pileup. Holy crap, Vic is going to have one hell of a bill to pay now. And all he had to do to avoid this was maybe take a sabbatical and reflect on his behavior. He's DONE
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Samiamiam

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:41 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
This was nothing short of a fifty car pileup. Holy crap, Vic is going to have one hell of a bill to pay now. And all he had to do to avoid this was maybe take a sabbatical and reflect on his behavior. He's DONE

I know right? He just needed to chill for a few months, go radio silent and not go to cons ect, and have this all blow over and he would have been fine. Yet he instead choose to hire a crackpot lawyer and will end up paying 6 figures for it.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:44 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:

Quote:
In another exchange, a slightly exasperated Chupp said, “Am I not being clear?” Beard responded, “No, your honor, it’s that I’m not listening“ -- to which the judge said, “It would help if you would.”
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The court must also issue a fine to the plaintiff that is "sufficient to deter the party who brought the legal action from bringing similar actions..."

I quite expect that Vic will try to recoup his losses through exploring new entrepreneurial avenues. Such efforts will amount to nothing, of course, but the risk of inevitable failure has hardly deterred him in the past.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:09 pm Reply with quote
AntiKuro wrote:
Out of curiosity can he get in trouble for not appearing in court depending on how a judge rules on those motions?

From the article:
Quote:
Mignogna was issued a court order to appear on Friday, but he was not present. His counsel Ty Beard filed a motion to quash the subpoena and motion for protective order on Thursday, allowing Mignogna to not comply with the subpoena until the judge rules on the order.

It seems that teh motion to quash meant that it had to be officially ruled on before it could be enforced, so he didn't have to be there today.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:14 pm Reply with quote
ISWV are awfully quiet.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Quote:
The court must also issue a fine to the plaintiff that is "sufficient to deter the party who brought the legal action from bringing similar actions..."

I quite expect that Vic will try to recoup his losses through exploring new entrepreneurial avenues. Such efforts will amount to nothing, of course, but the risk of inevitable failure has hardly deterred him in the past.

In a way, I kind of hope he does. By no means am I excusing his behavior, but as a fellow Christian I'm obliged to think that, after a punishment (jail time, firing, fines, etc.), any person should be given a second chance somewhere down the road. It's going to be hard though; everyone will know who he is and what he did, and this current society isn't going to be quite so forgiving. On one hand, it will keep him away from people so that he won't be able to do this kind of stuff ever again; on the other hand, it will completely ruin his chances at a stable career and functioning in a normal society (though not as much as others like Kevin Spacey given his relatively obscure status).

Either way, it's clear he dug an even bigger hole for himself with these cases. Like AiddonValentine said, had he just used this as a time to reflect and stayed away from conventions to avoid temptation, he could have come back better than ever. That's still a possibility (we don't know yet what the #MeToo movement will do to careers later down the road), but now he also comes across as a pouty man-child, and that reputation probably won't fade anytime soon.
AntiKuro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
Zin5ki wrote:
Quote:

In a way, I kind of hope he does. By no means am I excusing his behavior, but as a fellow Christian I'm obliged to think that, after a punishment (jail time, firing, fines, etc.), any person should be given a second chance somewhere down the road. It's going to be hard though; everyone will know who he is and what he did, and this current society isn't going to be quite so forgiving. On one hand, it will keep him away from people so that he won't be able to do this kind of stuff ever again; on the other hand, it will completely ruin his chances at a stable career and functioning in a normal society (though not as much as others like Kevin Spacey given his relatively obscure status).

Either way, it's clear he dug an even bigger hole for himself with these cases. Like AiddonValentine said, had he just used this as a time to reflect and stayed away from conventions to avoid temptation, he could have come back better than ever. That's still a possibility (we don't know yet what the #MeToo movement will do to careers later down the road), but now he also comes across as a pouty man-child, and that reputation probably won't fade anytime soon.

This kind of touches on an issue I have with "cancel culture" and the "Me Too" era that we live in, especially with society becoming more and more PC.

People can't grow and move on from their mistakes in society because society is not letting them. You can do terrible things, and still be able to admit you are wrong and change as a person but we have to let a person be able to change.

Ultimately I think he would of done better to apologize, and reflect, and if I remember right I could of swore he put out a letter on Twitter saying that was what he was going to do originally but then he did a 180% and started to fight it and I question if that was brought about because of the loud voices of the fans who support him.

He might of been better off to not listen to the fans.
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:28 pm Reply with quote
https://twitter.com/LawoftheGame/status/1170054130724945920

This gives some insight to the hearing today.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 15