• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mignogna's Civil Case Against Voice Actress Jamie Marchi Dismissed

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:50 am Reply with quote
dragn666 wrote:
Let's assume everything i said about the proceedings is accurate which I'm not sure if they areor not. But say they are. Then the fact that the judge takes a binder from the defense and not plantiff is prejudicial. You can't do that It's inappropriate. The fact is he had it ready to present to the judge and the judge didn't take it.

"Let's assume this turn of events I have no proof occurred, and that I openly admit I have no idea happened, is the incontrovertible truth."

How about we don't. You keep prefacing your posts with "it was my understanding" and then demonstrating a blatant misunderstanding of the facts of this case and the situation in general. If you're actually trying to get an understanding of what happened at the hearing, I firmly suggest finding sources outside of Rekieta and Beard's drunken spinzone streams.
dragn666

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:52 am Reply with quote
Expias wrote:
No the fact that the judge took the defendants' binder is because they provided it beforehand. You can see when they filed it. The binder wasn't to act as their evidence. When you present such evidence, you need to present it in clear and specific detail. "Your honor, here, on page #, Paragraph, this tweet is defamatory." etc.

You're using a ton of Kiwi Farms, Nick Rekieta talking points if you think that the "judge had a bad day" because something he had was overruled. A) It's part of a smear campaign. B) it wasn't even a court opinion that is published. C) That wasn't really even what happened.

I said the judge was having a bad week. I don't care one way or another but i was trying to understand situations. I'm not sure why he ruled one way or another. And different people have opinions about why things could have influenced things one way or another. I simply said it seemed odd the way he seemed to favor one side. And i hope he wasn't but we will see when the transcripts come out
Expias

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:00 am Reply with quote
He didn't favor the defendants at all. If anything, he tried to spoonfeed Ty Beard what he needed and Beard was so inadequate that he still couldn't do a thing such as FIND THE EVIDENCE.

The transcript will come out because people helped pay over $1100 for it Smile

The judge's ruling was not overruled in that case. He wasn't having a bad week. He did the same thing in that trial that he did in Ty Beard's case. He allowed certain stuff to stay and be considered instead of throwing them out. Sorta the same as just like he did with the "late" filing by Ty Beard on August 31st. It was a remand, not an overruling. It would still not meet the necessary requirements for a successful appeal.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:06 am Reply with quote
dragn666 wrote:
SyranoGravely wrote:
Bump for the newbie who clearly didn't actually read through the thread before spouting Screech's talking points.

SyranoGravely wrote:
So apparently the Vic Stans are making a coordinated harassment campaign against Judge Chupp. Seems like a bad plan.

CW: DEATH THREATS
"Why don't victims come forward?" - Jamie Marchi

i don't know who you mean by screech but i have been watching various people and reading various threads on both sides, and i never questioned that people are bad and make death threats. they do and they should be legally punished for that, twitter has info on those people give it to authorities, and they can decide how to proceed. i still think they shouldn't be banned, because i believe they are pseudo-public forums.

Screech = Nickname for Nick Reikita, the youtuber streamer started the GFM account in Vic's name. It doesn't help that he looks like Dustin Diamond's dad had some left over DNA not being used at the fertility clinic.
dragn666

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:07 am Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
dragn666 wrote:
Let's assume everything i said about the proceedings is accurate which I'm not sure if they areor not. But say they are. Then the fact that the judge takes a binder from the defense and not plantiff is prejudicial. You can't do that It's inappropriate. The fact is he had it ready to present to the judge and the judge didn't take it.

"Let's assume this turn of events I have no proof occurred, and that I openly admit I have no idea happened, is the incontrovertible truth."

How about we don't. You keep prefacing your posts with "it was my understanding" and then demonstrating a blatant misunderstanding of the facts of this case and the situation in general. If you're actually trying to get an understanding of what happened at the hearing, I firmly suggest finding sources outside of Rekieta and Beard's drunken spinzone streams.

So i said "let's assume" because there isn't the transcripts so basically everything that people say is biased toward how they interpret events and i said that to try and come to a compromise while equally admitting that it could be inaccurate and that i might not understand things. I'm honestly looking for conversation regarding this topic one that won't agree with everything i say and believe and one that won't be outright hostile to disagreement and criticism. I have looked at multiple sides and examples of various parts of the proceedings. I think that your interpretation of my posts are grossly misrepresentative and largley uncalled for and not condusive to real conversation debate of issues. I'm sorry you feel that way about what i say. But i am trying to come to my own conclusion on things they do tend to lean towards vics side, but i have made concessions on things I've said that he might be an LPPF but if what I've heard about how it was decided i disagree with that
dragn666

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:09 am Reply with quote
ranran-001 wrote:

Screech = Nickname for Nick Reikita, the youtuber streamer started the GFM account in Vic's name. It doesn't help that he looks like Dustin Diamond's dad had some left over DNA not being used at the fertility clinic.

Why screech is it the way he sounds i don't see it but ok
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:10 am Reply with quote
dragn666 wrote:
These are things that I've heard happened, I've heard Ty was unprepared but that could have something to do with the odd proceedings. If these claims are true that would very well be something to bring up in a motion or appeal that the judge was inappropriate in his handlings of proceedings, we will see when transcripts are released.

First off, when one of the defendants you are going up against is backed by a major multi-national corporation, unprepared does not cut it. You need to bring your A-game, and between the mishandled documents which were submitted late and the presentation in the courtroom it’s clear Ty's A-game is severely lacking. On top of that, there was nothing odd about the proceedings. Your job as the lawyer is to produce evidence when the judge asks, not hand over a binder and say it's in there somewhere. If you are going to take someone to court over an issue you need to be prepared, and clearly Ty wasn't
ranran-001

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:15 am Reply with quote
dragn666 wrote:
Sketchor wrote:

I'm not so quick to believe the judge dismissed Ty's evidence in a tabbed binder on the grounds that he already had a binder from the defense. And if it was tabbed binder that he expected the judge to look through, wouldn't it have been just as easy for Ty to look through it himself and hand over the specific documents when asked?

Because what it sounds like is something more along the lines of this:

Judge: What's your evidence of TI?
Plantiff: It's somewhere in this binder.
Judge: Show me the evidence.
Plantiff: I can't find it right now.

Hopefully the transcript makes things more clear.

I think it sounds weird too! I hope that isn't the case because the judge apparently had a tough week, he apparently had to redo something from 7 years ago because of a higher court ruling, not to mention the flak he's been getting because of rulings, though so long as the stuff he's getting isn't threats and whatnot, he has to know that'sa risk of being a public figure like an elected judge, still feel bad for him criticism is tough and threats are wrong. But hopefully the transcript will clarify. If Ty was just unprepaired that is sad and unfortunate.

Is this more horse turd from Nick?
dragn666

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:17 am Reply with quote
Lynx Raven Raide wrote:
dragn666 wrote:
These are things that I've heard happened, I've heard Ty was unprepared but that could have something to do with the odd proceedings. If these claims are true that would very well be something to bring up in a motion or appeal that the judge was inappropriate in his handlings of proceedings, we will see when transcripts are released.

First off, when one of the defendants you are going up against is backed by a major multi-national corporation, unprepared does not cut it. You need to bring your A-game, and between the mishandled documents which were submitted late and the presentation in the courtroom it’s clear Ty's A-game is severely lacking. On top of that, there was nothing odd about the proceedings. Your job as the lawyer is to produce evidence when the judge asks, not hand over a binder and say it's in there somewhere. If you are going to take someone to court over an issue you need to be prepared, and clearly Ty wasn't

I agree if there wasn't anything wrong with the proceedings then it is sad and unfortunate that Ty was unprepared. I don't want either to be true honestly. But my point about the binder wasn't that he was saying "here go find it" it was here take this it will be easier to follow along as we discuss. I don't know what the actual circumstances were i was just bring to point the things I've heard. But we will know more when the transcripts come out
dragn666

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:23 am Reply with quote
ranran-001 wrote:

No it's influenced by nick... Along with tweets from the defense, forums on various sites, and one terrible opinion article from the dallas news. (The tl;dr is that i heard there was an article about it, i went to their website, found what i think was the article in question, and was glad it was at least in the opinion section)

The best insight into what happened in the hearing are from the people that were there which includes nick. Until the transcripts come out

Last edited by dragn666 on Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total
TrailOfDead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:26 am Reply with quote
I think the issue you're having is you're unable to evaluate which people are worth listening to

Let's say for a moment that all the other lawyers, the judge, and Sharon Grigsby actually had the right of it and Ty did a bad job, and let's say Nick knows it.
What reason would he have to tell you the truth?

Let's say it's the other way around.
What do all those uninvolved lawyers gain from lying about it?

Last edited by TrailOfDead on Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:31 am; edited 1 time in total
dragn666

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:29 am Reply with quote
TrailOfDead wrote:
I think the issue you're having is you're unable to evaluate which people are worth listening to

*edit*What makes one source better to listen to than another. I've seen multiple sources unfortunately not as neutral as court transcripts.
Why is nick rekieta better or worse than other lawyers on twitter
Why is defense atourneys better or worse than Ty
Why is vics word better or worse than another's
Why is ANN better or worse than dallas morning news

**edit** nick telling truth would be integrity and respect
Lying would be to mislead people and make themselves look good? I don't know I'm not going to guess why people would lie about thing. I also don't think anyone is lying necessarily. It is much more likely people are telling things the way they see it. A lot of times people read into things differently

Last edited by dragn666 on Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:36 am; edited 2 times in total
ranran-001

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:31 am Reply with quote
dragn666 wrote:
ranran-001 wrote:

No it's influenced by nick... Along with tweets from the defense, forums on various sites, and one terrible opinion article from the dallas news. (The tl;dr is that i heard there was an article about it, i went to their website, found what i think was the article in question, and was glad it was at least in the opinion section)

Are you really moaning about how supposedly the judge accepted a binder from the defense, and that some how shows favoritism? Is this the big gotcha? Cause I can assure you, it isn't. There won't be an appeal.
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:31 am Reply with quote
dragn666 wrote:
Lynx Raven Raide wrote:
dragn666 wrote:

I agree if there wasn't anything wrong with the proceedings then it is sad and unfortunate that Ty was unprepared. I don't want either to be true honestly. But my point about the binder wasn't that he was saying "here go find it" it was here take this it will be easier to follow along as we discuss. I don't know what the actual circumstances were i was just bring to point the things I've heard. But we will know more when the transcripts come out

Thats the thing, he couldn't even point to where to find it.

As for the transcript thing, as others have pointed out they will be out soon since they were funded pretty quick, although most of the sources of information currently are actually unbiased because they have no horses in this and are following it for their own amusement from a legal standpoint, except for one youtuber who most definitely has a horse in it...
dragn666

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:41 am Reply with quote
Lynx Raven Raide wrote:

Thats the thing, he couldn't even point to where to find it.

As for the transcript thing, as others have pointed out they will be out soon since they were funded pretty quick, although most of the sources of information currently are actually unbiased because they have no horses in this and are following it for their own amusement from a legal standpoint, except for one youtuber who most definitely has a horse in it...

Everyone has a "horse" in it. Except for us commoners. "Law twitter" thrives on commenting on cases not just this one. Nick has one because of association with involved party and business interest saw as "law twitter" media reporting on it generates views for their website which have ads that make them money. Everyone has a horse in it
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 15