Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mignogna's Civil Case Against Voice Actress Jamie Marchi Dismissed


Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
yurigasaki



Joined: 06 Apr 2015
Posts: 104
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:48 am Reply with quote
dragn666 wrote:
Everyone has a "horse" in it. Except for us commoners. "Law twitter" thrives on commenting on cases not just this one. Nick has one because of association with involved party and business interest saw as "law twitter" media reporting on it generates views for their website which have ads that make them money. Everyone has a horse in it


Nick has a horse in the race because he makes his [expletive] livelihood on stoking up outrage and has effectively staked his reputation and career on the idea that Vic Macaroni was in the right and that Vic and his associated legal team were going to steamroll the trial, which they pointedly have not done.

Law twitter's collective horse in the race is saying "lmao get a load of this guy" and then going back to their jobs that have nothing to do with Vic or this case.

Are you really telling me you don't see a difference there?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TrailOfDead



Joined: 09 Aug 2012
Posts: 188
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:50 am Reply with quote
dragn666 wrote:
TrailOfDead wrote:
I think the issue you're having is you're unable to evaluate which people are worth listening to


*edit*What makes one source better to listen to than another. I've seen multiple sources unfortunately not as neutral as court transcripts.
Why is nick rekieta better or worse than other lawyers on twitter

He's worse because he makes his money by maintaining his audience, which means telling them what they want to hear irrespective of whether it's true. Like that phone notary thing you picked up, and held onto even when the Texas Secretary of State website states plainly that it isn't true. Whoever told you that was lying to you.

Quote:
Why is defense atourneys better or worse than Ty

Because they have far more experience with cases like this than he does and unlike him, they have to do the job well to get paid

Quote:
Why is vics word better or worse than another's

His word includes mutually exclusive statements made under penalty of perjury, and a lot of his words help there defense

Quote:
Why is ANN better or worse than dallas morning news

Are those in conflict?

Quote:
**edit** nick telling truth would be integrity and respect
Lying would be to mislead people and make themselves look good? I don't know I'm not going to guess why people would lie about thing. I also don't think anyone is lying necessarily. It is much more likely people are telling things the way they see it. A lot of times people read into things differently

Does it not register with you that the people seeing it your way all have an immediate and obvious motivation to see it that way?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lynx Raven Raide



Joined: 01 Nov 2017
Posts: 199
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:51 am Reply with quote
dragn666 wrote:
Lynx Raven Raide wrote:

Thats the thing, he couldn't even point to where to find it.

As for the transcript thing, as others have pointed out they will be out soon since they were funded pretty quick, although most of the sources of information currently are actually unbiased because they have no horses in this and are following it for their own amusement from a legal standpoint, except for one youtuber who most definitely has a horse in it...


Everyone has a "horse" in it. Except for us commoners. "Law twitter" thrives on commenting on cases not just this one. Nick has one because of association with involved party and business interest saw as "law twitter" media reporting on it generates views for their website which have ads that make them money. Everyone has a horse in it

Nick has a horse in it. He was the one who started the GFM in the first place.
"Law twitter", as you put it, have no horse in it. It could go either way, they are still covering it. They don't support a certain side, hence no horse. The judge could rule tomorrow and the whole show could be over, but it wont matter that much to them cause they will go over the findings thdn move onto the next one that piques their intrest. They aren't staking their reputation on the outcome, they are just following it. Hence, as I said, no horse
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dragn666



Joined: 09 Sep 2019
Posts: 35
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:52 am Reply with quote
yurigasaki wrote:
dragn666 wrote:
Everyone has a "horse" in it. Except for us commoners. "Law twitter" thrives on commenting on cases not just this one. Nick has one because of association with involved party and business interest saw as "law twitter" media reporting on it generates views for their website which have ads that make them money. Everyone has a horse in it


Nick has a horse in the race because he makes his [expletive] livelihood on stoking up outrage and has effectively staked his reputation and career on the idea that Vic Macaroni was in the right and that Vic and his associated legal team were going to steamroll the trial, which they pointedly have not done.

Law twitter's collective horse in the race is saying "lmao get a load of this guy" and then going back to their jobs that have nothing to do with Vic or this case.

Are you really telling me you don't see a difference there?



Not at all. There is differences. That doesn't mean they don't have bias or differences of opinion
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Expias



Joined: 30 Oct 2008
Posts: 162
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:04 am Reply with quote
I know this is a large tangent and there may be a pruning in the future but...

LawTwitter has zero reason to lie and have even gone to say what things would be best and worse cases (although they didn't think it could get worse but it did because they overestimated Ty Beard's competence.)

Nick Rekieta and Ty Beard have every reason to keep lying or misleading. They're the ones who are keeping the war chest alive. Nick gets $$$$ through each youtube view and streaming. Ty Beard gets to invoice the GFM. As long as they keep people believing in their "cause" they can continue to get money until the next idea to be outraged over.

LawTwitter is mostly outraged about how badly it makes them look.

The inability to cite to record. The forgery. The fraud. The inability to even define a contract.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dragn666



Joined: 09 Sep 2019
Posts: 35
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:06 am Reply with quote
TrailOfDead wrote:
dragn666 wrote:
TrailOfDead wrote:
I think the issue you're having is you're unable to evaluate which people are worth listening to


*edit*What makes one source better to listen to than another. I've seen multiple sources unfortunately not as neutral as court transcripts.
Why is nick rekieta better or worse than other lawyers on twitter

He's worse because he makes his money by maintaining his audience, which means telling them what they want to hear irrespective of whether it's true. Like that phone notary thing you picked up, and held onto even when the Texas Secretary of State website states plainly that it isn't true. Whoever told you that was lying to you.

Quote:
Why is defense atourneys better or worse than Ty

Because they have far more experience with cases like this than he does and unlike him, they have to do the job well to get paid

Quote:
Why is vics word better or worse than another's

His word includes mutually exclusive statements made under penalty of perjury, and a lot of his words help there defense

Quote:
Why is ANN better or worse than dallas morning news

Are those in conflict?

Quote:
**edit** nick telling truth would be integrity and respect
Lying would be to mislead people and make themselves look good? I don't know I'm not going to guess why people would lie about thing. I also don't think anyone is lying necessarily. It is much more likely people are telling things the way they see it. A lot of times people read into things differently

Does it not register with you that the people seeing it your way all have an immediate and obvious motivation to see it that way?



So the vics word part was in general not in court sorry about confusion.

ANN and DMN no not in conflict as far as i know the question still stands.

https://www.sos.state.tx.us/statdoc/online-np-educational.shtml
I'm pretty surde this is evidence. TBH didn't read through everything. Again I'm not sure about the lying aspect but this seems accurate enough for not in person notarizing

Absolutely people could want to see it similarly to me. Just the same as people could have a disposition to see it the opposite way as well. That doesn't mean that they are lying thoughit means they might have a bias. And that's ok so long as they admit that (i do have a bias but i try and stay open to things) the only one's that should be neutral and try not to have bias are news sources (IMO)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gilgameshi



Joined: 23 Jul 2019
Posts: 17
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:09 am Reply with quote
Not gonna quote it verbatim but

dragn666 wrote:

notary fraud is normal


Absolutely not. I linked you to a Texas State Law website saying you cannot notarize over the phone. Any other information regarding this is lying to you.

Also, when committing notary fraud, you should try to avoid also forging someone's signature.

It didn't come up in the first hearing because the judge decided to have a hearing on Ty's multiple instances of breaking the law another day, and to focus on the case at hand.

Also it is not "unfair" for the judge to not want to read through 1100 pages for evidence when Ty should have been able to point out the relevant evidence when the judge asked. He does not have dozens of hours to read through the entire document on the bench to find the supposed evidence when the attorney should have been able to say "It's right here." The defense's attorneys could do that. They also had visuals to accompany their evidence; Ty did not.

It's not unfair when you refuse to do the basic amount of work and your opponent does.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Expias



Joined: 30 Oct 2008
Posts: 162
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:12 am Reply with quote
Online notarization requires -video- and audio communication. You can't notarize over the phone as Ty Beard said he'd done.

Edit:
Poster obviously meant to say that notary fraud is common in real estate law, as practiced by Ty Beard. Something being common does not mean it is legal or OKAY.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Psycho 101
Moderator


Joined: 14 Aug 2006
Posts: 14741
Location: Inn of the Last Home
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:28 am Reply with quote
Alrighty, this little debate is over now. There's been quite enough over the last few pages and it's just going in circles now

dragn666, you claim to want conversation and welcome criticism but you have refused to listen to anything that anyone has said here. You keep arguing fallacies that several users have rebuffed several times. You claim to not be a "ISWV nutjob" but all you have done is parrot bad faith arguments, conspiracy theories, and completely inaccurate statements from elsewhere on the internet. While claiming you have no idea that's what others are saying elsewhere which is beyond disingenuous at this point. All of which the moderators have said is not allowed in every single Vic related thread to date. So it's done, time to move on.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
ranran-001



Joined: 25 Oct 2018
Posts: 225
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:49 am Reply with quote
Expias wrote:
Online notarization requires -video- and audio communication. You can't notarize over the phone as Ty Beard said he'd done.

Edit:
Poster obviously meant to say that notary fraud is common in real estate law, as practiced by Ty Beard. Something being common does not mean it is legal or OKAY.


Online notarization also requires a separate registration with the state, as well as proving you have the proper computer software to make online notarizations.

Ty isn't listed on Texas's notary search engine as having an online notary registration. And given how badly he couldn't cover his tracks and being exposed for the forged signatures, I doubt he has the skills necessary to be an online notary.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
yeahreally



Joined: 20 Jan 2009
Posts: 7
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:58 am Reply with quote
So what are the odds of Vic suing his lawyer for malpractice due to his incompetent representation at the hearing? I think that's a much stronger suit since his defamation case was pretty much lost as soon as he was determined to be a limited public figure.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ranran-001



Joined: 25 Oct 2018
Posts: 225
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:13 pm Reply with quote
yeahreally wrote:
So what are the odds of Vic suing his lawyer for malpractice due to his incompetent representation at the hearing? I think that's a much stronger suit since his defamation case was pretty much lost as soon as he was determined to be a limited public figure.


In order for that to happen, there would need to have been enough evidence to show that any other lawyer with some competency could have won this.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Psycho 101
Moderator


Joined: 14 Aug 2006
Posts: 14741
Location: Inn of the Last Home
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:30 pm Reply with quote
I just said for you dragn666 to move on. I also said for everyone else to get back on topic from the circular arguments that are not relative to this thread. Posts will continue to be removed if people continue to ignore moderator warnings, and you could wind up on moderation. If others post on topics after being told to stop just report them once please and move on yourself. Don't engage and continue things.

Last edited by Psycho 101 on Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
SyranoGravely



Joined: 22 Apr 2019
Posts: 68
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Did everything just taste purple?

Percy making/promoting death threats from a June 3rd Screechstream

I'm sure that will in no way backfire on them whatsoever.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
yeahreally



Joined: 20 Jan 2009
Posts: 7
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:54 pm Reply with quote
ranran-001 wrote:


In order for that to happen, there would need to have been enough evidence to show that any other lawyer with some competency could have won this.


"Win" in reference to this hearing is different from winning the case as a whole, though. I think a competent lawyer could have actually gotten some of these issues past the TCPA hearing stage. Just because the case in general is doomed doesn't mean he wasn't owed competent representation from his attorney.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 15

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group