• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mignogna's Civil Case Against Voice Actress Jamie Marchi Dismissed

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:56 pm Reply with quote
His career is ruined.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:24 am Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
By no means am I excusing his behavior, but as a fellow Christian I'm obliged to think that, after a punishment (jail time, firing, fines, etc.), any person should be given a second chance somewhere down the road.

I'm no Christian, but I do believe in being given second chances. I'm no Christian scholar, but I am under the impression than under Christianity, as it is in secular society, deserving a second chance depends pretty heavily on repenting. Which Vic shows no signs of doing.
AntiKuro wrote:
This kind of touches on an issue I have with "cancel culture" and the "Me Too" era that we live in, especially with society becoming more and more PC.

People can't grow and move on from their mistakes in society because society is not letting them. You can do terrible things, and still be able to admit you are wrong and change as a person but we have to let a person be able to change.

In principle, I agree. Everyone does make mistakes, and people need to be allowed to learn from their mistakes and move on. But where it concerns rape, sexual assault and sexual harassment is a thornier issue, especially when it's a pattern of behaviour that has continued after they've been made aware such behaviour is not acceptable. Perhaps society is not letting certain perpetrators of said things learn and move on now, but they usually had plenty of chances to do that before and instead chose not to learn or move on, or even knock it off. It's therefore hard for me to see an unforgiving society as being in the wrong on this one.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:31 am Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
but now he also comes across as a pouty man-child, and that reputation probably won't fade anytime soon.

pouty man-child
celebrity
Swiss cheese memory (or just plain liar)
alleged sexual predator
cheated on his fiance
evangelical Christian
hires the best people

He can always run for office. That career path is still open.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:49 am Reply with quote
AntiKuro wrote:

This kind of touches on an issue I have with "cancel culture" and the "Me Too" era that we live in, especially with society becoming more and more PC.

People can't grow and move on from their mistakes in society because society is not letting them. You can do terrible things, and still be able to admit you are wrong and change as a person but we have to let a person be able to change.

Here's the problem with this though if depending on the severity of those actions. You can try to change all you want but expecting just to up and forgiven for those terrible actions that you were probably told a 1000 times was wrong or knew was wrong is going to substantially be hard to do especially when it comes to the victims or their families that were impacted directly or indirectly by those actions.

Such as if you viciously abuse or even kill another person. I mean Vic didn't do either of those two things but he unfortunately as has been mentioned had a recurring issue that had been a problem for years and (also) as has been mentioned tried to pretend there was nothing wrong with it. And then comes this lawsuit which is effectively Vic throwing a lit match on a gasoline soaked bridge.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:52 am Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
Gemnist wrote:
By no means am I excusing his behavior, but as a fellow Christian I'm obliged to think that, after a punishment (jail time, firing, fines, etc.), any person should be given a second chance somewhere down the road.

I'm no Christian, but I do believe in being given second chances. I'm no Christian scholar, but I am under the impression than under Christianity, as it is in secular society, deserving a second chance depends pretty heavily on repenting. Which Vic shows no signs of doing.
AntiKuro wrote:

In principle, I agree. Everyone does make mistakes, and people need to be allowed to learn from their mistakes and move on. But where it concerns rape, sexual assault and sexual harassment is a thornier issue, especially when it's a pattern of behaviour that has continued after they've been made aware such behaviour is not acceptable. Perhaps society is not letting certain perpetrators of said things learn and move on now, but they usually had plenty of chances to do that before and instead chose not to learn or move on, or even knock it off. It's therefore hard for me to see an unforgiving society as being in the wrong on this one.

As someone who dangerously came close at becoming too clingy and obsessive in getting some people whom I feel I did nothing wrong in the past back to me, as well as people who I felt could be mine, I can assert to those statements of moving on and learning from mistakes. It's been quite some years in being taught many times in respecting many aspects of women, and of late, I'm not having problems with them in both IRL and online as of late. The MeToo revelations both struck a chord to me in realizing in why the women felt that way in some part of my behavior, meaning their concerns for me were valid...but also relief in that I have learned long enough to know that in the future, I may not become someone like those who have been accused as long as I can keep on going the correct path. And I thank those women, most who are away and not knowing much of them, for showing me the right way.

And I pity those who weren't able to see the right way when time went on...
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:04 am Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
octopodpie wrote:
DerekL1963 wrote:

Quote:
In another exchange, a slightly exasperated Chupp said, “Am I not being clear?” Beard responded, “No, your honor, it’s that I’m not listening“ -- to which the judge said, “It would help if you would.”

I was about to quote this same line. What an exchange.

There's a lot of choice bits in that article.

I wonder where the individual is who, just this morning, was telling us how experienced Beard was and that we should not underestimate him...
pikabot

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:19 am Reply with quote
On the subject of second chances, I feel like it’s important to note that although things definitely came to a head recently, people have been calling out Vic’s creepy behaviour for literally decades. He’s had more chances to mend his ways than Ebenezer Scrooge. As far as I’m concerned, he burned through his second, third, fourth, fifth etc chances years ago.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:25 am Reply with quote
pikabot wrote:
On the subject of second chances, I feel like it’s important to note that although things definitely came to a head recently, people have been calling out Vic’s creepy behaviour for literally decades. He’s had more chances to mend his ways than Ebenezer Scrooge. As far as I’m concerned, he burned through his second, third, fourth, fifth etc chances years ago.

That's the thing. While it may take more than two chances for some people to really change and own up for their behavior, he wasted it more than 10 times.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:27 am Reply with quote
pikabot wrote:

Honestly, I find his lawsuit to be just as distasteful as the bad behavior that preceded it. I could have seen him getting help and moving on, but instead he dug in his heals, tried to silence women he harassed, and is trying to trash anyone involved with Funimation. Honestly, the man is showing a lot of signs of narcissistic personality disorder, and the anime community will be far better off without him.
Sethimothy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:46 am Reply with quote
Not even Munchos brand potato chips are as salty as ISWV right now. Ah well. You reap what you sow.
solarsun

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:51 am Reply with quote
I never liked Vic and I couldn't quite pinpoint why. To me he always felt slimy and not trustworthy when I saw him or spoke with him. Something about him just screamed to me not trustworthy. I usually follow my gut when it comes to that because it's been shown right a few times in my life (a child molester being one when I was young, my sister wasn't so lucky with that).
My husband thought he was a stand up man and wanted to be more like him (Christian and nice or something). Him and I have had talks about my perception of Vic and for my husband I have stayed as neutral as I can be about this whole situation (it doesn't effect me at all so that's another reason).
I will say for what I've experienced that we met him at animinneapolis the only year he came and he kissed me on the cheek as hello. It was surprising and I wasn't against it but he never asked either. It surprised my husband then boyfriend too. Even if he was totally innocent when it comes to that kiss (which people do kiss for hello on the cheek) I can see that being a problem and if what Monica and the rest said was true then he has a lot more issues going on then just overly touchy.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:09 am Reply with quote
It's unfortunate things aren't looking good for Vic. I wish I could say otherwise, but that isn't the case here. Regardless, I'm staying at his side. Monica and Jamie have lost my respect and it's sad that they'll likely get away with all this.

Honestly, I wish everything would just have blown over already and everybody could simply do their jobs and entertain us and that they, too, would simply be happy with the jobs they have... or had... I just feel really sad about this ordeal.

For the time being, I guess I'll stick to boycotting Funimation's releases. Not that it would really help, I'm not even American, but it's better than actually buying their stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Seif

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:53 am Reply with quote
thekingsdinner wrote:

Honestly, I wish everything would just have blown over already and everybody could simply do their jobs and entertain us and that they, too, would simply be happy with the jobs they have... or had... I just feel really sad about this ordeal.

What do you think is the number 1 reason this hasn't blown over yet?
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:13 am Reply with quote
Seif wrote:

What do you think is the number 1 reason this hasn't blown over yet?

Pretty much; Vic is the one who let this escalate and repeatedly shot himself in the foot.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:15 am Reply with quote
thekingsdinner wrote:
It's unfortunate things aren't looking good for Vic. I wish I could say otherwise, but that isn't the case here. Regardless, I'm staying at his side. Monica and Jamie have lost my respect and it's sad that they'll likely get away with all this.

Really? Last I checked, neither Monica nor Jamie have ever lured people in their hotel rooms to force an unsuspecting person into sex. Nor do I recall either of them making a crude proposition to have sex with a pair of siblings at the same time. What about all those times they never pulled anyone by the hair and whispered crude sexual things?

Or how about, they never endorsed a Go Fund Me that was set up by an alcoholic barely practicing lawyer who has been alleged to have embezzled money from a prior job?

I also don't recall either of them saying that its not their problem if their fans got ripped off by a con artist using their name and likeness.

But you know who has done all those things?
Vic.

Friday should have been the day that Vic's attorney would have laid out all this amazing evidence he gathered from forums occupied by neo nazis and incels. Turns out he had nothing, because neo nazis and incels have a mental disease where they think anything is a conspiracy, and that all men are innocent(except Ron).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 15