• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: T.M. Revolution Teases Gundam Seed Film Project's Status

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oby

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:09 pm Reply with quote
luisedgarf wrote:
Oby wrote:

That said, I'll be fine if the movie is just a SoL of the established characters and delving much more into the aftermath of the war. But that won't happen since Bandai need to sell new kits and there must be mecha battles no matter what.

Sorry for my ignorance on legalese, but what does "SoL" means?

"Slice of Life"

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Why is there such a big divide between the Japanese and English fandoms over the quality of Destiny and to a lesser extent the original SEED anyway?

There's a lot of factors. Unlike most of the Japanese, for some reason, many western fans seem to dislike that SEED has some similar story-elements to MSG even though it was clearly intended as a fresh reboot for new generation. They hate the soap opera. They hate Kira, Fllay, Lacus, etc. They hate the various stock footage & reused animation (even though they didn't seem to mind that much when G & Wing did it back in the 90s). And thanks to SEED Destiny being such a letdown from the SEED-standard, SEED was also brought down by association. Also, some vocal UC elitists hating everything AU (including SEED) doesn't really help things either.

All that said, I genuinely like SEED and, nowadays, I can easily tolerate Destiny because there are (much) worse Gundam outings since Destiny aired (I'm looking at you, AGE, G-Reco, & Build Divers). Destiny at least has more than a bunch of characters I care about, the music is excellent all around, and the animation & battle choreography are great (so great that they recycled them) and last but not least, Destiny is never boring aside from the constant flashbacks. Plus, the Remaster fixed a lot of visual defects in SEED & Destiny (+ bonus nipples & panty-shot). But I still hate the constant bits of flashback with a passion. It's like Destiny was so short on new footage that they had to have flashbacks for every 10 minutes to fill the runtime.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:16 pm Reply with quote
cyberdraco wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Why is there such a big divide between the Japanese and English fandoms over the quality of Destiny and to a lesser extent the original SEED anyway?

I've always wondered that myself. Maybe it's something cultural related, not sure.

It's definitely a cultural thing, although it has shifted greatly in just the last 10+ years. Japanese audiences are typically more accepting of the "Jesus" type heroes as pure selflessness is more accepted as a potential character trait, where as western audiences are more apt to view such protagonists as lacking dimension and signs of threadbare writing. SEED has two such protagonists in the form of Lacus and Kira, though Kira of course gets more of the focus as the MC we're mostly following. Destiny amps this up even more by having him in the role of the returning hero. Again, in western media Kira would more likely be a Rambo type - pulled out of retirement and just going on a killing spree, and likely to kill off a character like Shin rather than eventually befriending him.

Japanese audiences are also typically more accepting of irrational villains than western audiences. Really, Shin's anger at Orb and Kira for most of the movie lacks much sense. Characters like him are often relegated to side-characters or the like in western media, not made the focus of the story. If he were the villain, I'm sure western audiences would have liked the series much more, provided they got their cathartic end with him being soundly beaten. As the MC, however, that catharsis does not come, and more over he is presented as the one you are supposed to root for, with not much option either given how objectionable the villains (whom he was working with for much of the series) turn out to be, and not really any other protagonists to follow.
tintor2

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Still, this is sad because the original writer of these two series and the movie died due to cancer and the director happened to be her husband.

{Edit}: I edited your post. There's no need for the insults or soap boxing. People can have different opinions. ~ Psycho 101
AkaRed

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:02 pm Reply with quote
A news about a possible return of our lord and saviour KIRA JESUS YAMATO Laughing I have a lot to say about Mobile Suit Gundam Seed and mostly its season 2 Shinn Asuka could have been a better Kamille Crying or Very sad

Also Give me more Astray Gundam Red Frame you coward from Sunrise. Evil or Very Mad
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Oh yes please comeback GS series indeed let that movie happen.

Indeed one more going at it for old time sakes yea 15 years of GS & still my series.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of sequels, whatever happened to that planned Gundam 00 sequel?
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:11 pm Reply with quote
AkaRed wrote:
A news about a possible return of our lord and saviour KIRA JESUS YAMATO Laughing I have a lot to say about Mobile Suit Gundam Seed and mostly its season 2 Shinn Asuka could have been a better Kamille Crying or Very sad

Also Give me more Astray Gundam Red Frame you coward from Sunrise. Evil or Very Mad

The only good Kamille is a non existent Kamille.
Oby

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:07 am Reply with quote
DRosencraft wrote:
cyberdraco wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

I've always wondered that myself. Maybe it's something cultural related, not sure.

Japanese audiences are also typically more accepting of irrational villains than western audiences. Really, Shin's anger at Orb and Kira for most of the movie lacks much sense. Characters like him are often relegated to side-characters or the like in western media, not made the focus of the story. If he were the villain, I'm sure western audiences would have liked the series much more, provided they got their cathartic end with him being soundly beaten.

Your statement above is already contradictory even just within a single paragraph.

So, what you're saying is that both Japanese & Western audiences should like Destiny more because Shin did end up as a villain in the last arc of the story, even though his position was that of a manipulated lackey which kinda suited him considering how impulsive (no pun intended) & directionless he was.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:27 am Reply with quote
Oby wrote:
If the movie is really being made, who Kira & co. are going to fight this time? All the big opposing parties and the "pupermaster behind the scenes" namely LOGOS & Durandal factions were already defeated. The remnants of LOGOS & Durandal's loyalist with limited resources wouldn't make much of a threat unless ORB is looking for trouble again (but Cagalli already took care of it).

That said, I'll be fine if the movie is just a SoL of the established characters and delving much more into the aftermath of the war. But that won't happen since Bandai need to sell new kits and there must be mecha battles no matter what.

Maybe they'll use the Mars kingdom from the Astray manga as enemy or maybe the "Space Whales" if they want to go "full alien attack" like 00 :p

I have a feeling it's gonna have a "Kill 'em All" type ending like Ideon.
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:45 am Reply with quote
I think it's about time. I always found it funny that as popular and profitable Cosmic Era apparently is and how the Astray side-story manages to continue and get more ridiculous, Gundam Seed still can't get any new animation off the ground. And if there's anything that can dispel its nasty reputation, it would've been this movie that's been in development hell for over a decade. No pressure.
I have to wonder though if Fukuda is still involved with this, and if he is, why Sunrise didn't take it away from him.
Expias

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:15 pm Reply with quote
It's been so many years since SEED and Destiny that I can't even remember who all is involved and what elements needed to be continued.

I just remember the feelings of: God I hate Shin, WtF is going on with Cagalli and Athrun, WTF Athrun? and YAY SPACE JESUS.

Are these even accurate feelings?
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Expias wrote:
It's been so many years since SEED and Destiny that I can't even remember who all is involved and what elements needed to be continued.

I just remember the feelings of: God I hate Shin, WtF is going on with Cagalli and Athrun, WTF Athrun? and YAY SPACE JESUS.

Are these even accurate feelings?

iirc, Shin stays a piece of crap the entire show (thankfully Kira replace him as main character by the mid point, but its honestly too late), Cagalli and Athrun are more or less settle by the end of the show (its kinda tortuous getting there) and space Jesus never stop being Jesus (they kinda try and explore the idea that you can't always save everyone but never really did into that).
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:36 pm Reply with quote
KLAC wrote:
Oh yes please comeback GS series indeed let that movie happen.

Indeed one more going at it for old time sakes yea 15 years of GS & still my series.

Good to see you seeing the news that it may still happen given how big a fan you were of this one. Smile

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Speaking of sequels, whatever happened to that planned Gundam 00 sequel?

I think back when it was announced he said it would take some time and could be a bit of time before we'd even get anymore news, so probably still in the works.

I hope so since I freaking loved Gundam 00.
Krunky

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:13 pm Reply with quote
WeirDiE_InC wrote:
I think it's about time. I always found it funny that as popular and profitable Cosmic Era apparently is and how the Astray side-story manages to continue and get more ridiculous, Gundam Seed still can't get any new animation off the ground. And if there's anything that can dispel its nasty reputation, it would've been this movie that's been in development hell for over a decade. No pressure.
I have to wonder though if Fukuda is still involved with this, and if he is, why Sunrise didn't take it away from him.

Actually its the opposite. Most of the Cosmic Era spin-offs performed poorly after Destiny ended because people didn't care about the extended universe if Kira and Lacus weren't involved so stuff like Stargazer got very little recognition and support. Astray appeals to an entirely different niche from SEED which is much much much smaller in comparison still it says a lot that its outlived all the 00 and IBO spin-offs.

That movie was quietly cancelled years ago and this new movie is more than likely something to collaborate the 20th anniversary of the series same with the HD Remaster for the 10th. Considering they got him back to direct the HD Remasters and Cross Ange I'd imagine he'd hop on board for this.
Oby

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Krunky wrote:
Astray appeals to an entirely different niche from SEED which is much much much smaller in comparison still it says a lot that its outlived all the 00 and IBO spin-offs.

Honestly, you cannot argue that Astray manga is small or isn't popular because we have one big glaring proof that it is: The Perfect Grade Astray Red Frame.

For those who aren't into model kits, Perfect Grade (or PG for short) is a celebrated line of kits reserved only for the most popular shows/series & Mobile Suits in the Gundam pantheon. That's why we see the RX-78-2, Zaku II Char/MP, Mk. II AEUG/TITANS, Zeta, Wing Zero Custom, GP01/Full Burnern and Strike/Rouge Gundam in that line because they were really popular. Now here's something special about Astray: as you can see, most of the PG kits are derived from anime coz that's the medium in which Gundam is most popular. So, for Astray Red Frame to be made into PG, it must have received an unprecedented amount of surge in popularity in its host-medium (manga). The fact that Bandai made PG Red Frame first before PG 00 Raiser, PG Strike Freedom, PG Unicorn/Banshee, PG Exia and PG 00 7-Sword is a testament to its popularity.

To this day, Astray remains the only manga in the entire Gundam franchise in which its exclusive star MS (Red Frame) is made into a PG (PG 00 7-Sword is made coz Bandai can re-use the PG 00 Raiser mold from the anime). Not only that, Bandai even doubled down on it by making another PG of its also-popular variant: the Blue Frame cementing the popularity of the Astray sub-franchise which is on par with its mother franchise SEED, Zeta, 00 & Unicorn but in different medium.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3