• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - The Top 5 Shinichiro Watanabe Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scowler

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:45 pm Reply with quote
No love for Terror in Resonance? I’d put that at least #4 on list, ahead of Space Dandy.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:01 pm Reply with quote
KitKat1721 wrote:
still have not seen Samurai Champloo or Kids on the Slope yet

This is a situation in dire need of rectifying, especially Champloo. Get on that now, please. Wink

I'd rate Champloo second only to Bebop of Watanabe's works. I'm enjoying Carole & Tuesday, but the music is not working for me. I like Angela's song in the ED, and some of her other stuff, The Mermaids' profane extravaganza was pure gold, and I even liked Pyotr's first song, but C&T's music bores me to tears. Like yuna49, I'd rank it behind Kids.

Terror in Resonance is in my lockbox of series/movies that never existed, keeping Highlander 2 company.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:09 pm Reply with quote
What about Terror in Resonance?
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:32 pm Reply with quote
I never understood the criticism of Western influences on Watanabe's works when the majority of the big name classic sci-fi anime are heavily influenced by Philip K Dick and Ridley Scott or Star Wars space opera and Tezuka was influenced by Disney. And the vast majority of fantasy anime are basically Dungeons & Dragons and LOTR. Even those moe wizard academy shows are clearly cashing in on Harry Potter. I still need to finish Samurai Champloo and watch Kids on the Slope and Carol & Tuesday, but my rankings for Watanabe titles I've seen are:

1) Cowboy Bebop
2) Macross Plus
3) Space Dandy
4)Terror in Resonance

Terror in Resonance has a strong start but ends up becoming too convoluted to me and the ending felt too anti-climatic but it's been a long time since I've seen it. I also remember it having one of Kanno's weaker scores.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:09 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Carole & Tuesday doesn't hold a candle to Sakamichi no Apollon. There's no scene in C&T that comes even close to this:https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jRHJntLYMh0
Thanks so much! I don't know the show, but that is one magic moment animated with wonderful "improv" jazz!

I'll be the unpopularity champion in saying I really didn't care for Samurai Champloo. It had great art, story didn't turn me on. Terror in Resonance wasn't bad but didn't need a second watch. Cowboy Bebop was magic beginning to end and I hope Watanabe-sensei manages just one more like that in his life.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:30 pm Reply with quote
so where is the kids on the slope love SERIOUSLY that show is a lot better then space dandy at the very least.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:16 am Reply with quote
I would say as far as a Top 5 goes for Shinichiro Watanabe anime go, my Top 5 would be...

1. Cowboy Bebop
2. Kids on the Slope
3. Carole and Tuesday
4. Samurai Champloo
5. Terror in Resonance

Unlike many people, I was lukewarm in my reception of Space Dandy as I found the comedy mostly hit-and-miss and it takes a bit too long for it to pick up steam in covering how Dandy can be fine in the next episode after his misadventures lead him to be doomed in different episodic scenarios. Terror in Resonance, for the flaws it had in its second half, was still an engaging thriller series for me to plow through for the most part.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mulletZERO

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:47 am Reply with quote
No love for Terror in Resonance? I've seen a few of his other shows, but Terror was my absolute favorite and really left a strong impression on me. I know it wasn't as well-received as his other shows but I thought it was beautiful, and had a stunning soundtrack as well. I still think about it all the time.
casenumber00

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:06 am Reply with quote
Remove C&T move everything down then add Kids on the Slope. The American Idol part just didn't work. It was long and drawn out considering the previous pacing and was an excuse to slow down on character and narrative development to shoe horn forgettable and meme music (OST is great though). Much of the performances should have been shortened and replace with more prime character interactions. I first noticed this show had some big narrative flaws when ep 4(?) happened, the music video episode. While trying to make a music video go viral, they were tricked by an AI and that plan fizzled out. Literally nothing of merit happened, nothing is moved over to the next episodes, the characters didn't learn a lesson, no characters were introduced, nothing of narrative significance.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:15 am Reply with quote
I felt like Carole & Tuesday was, in many ways, a refinement and distillation of what he was attempting with Kids on the Slope - much stronger music industry satire and dialogue, and better, more interesting characters. Kids is still a very good show, but this was a Top 5, and I thought his latest work was his strongest in a long time. Kids on the Slope was good, but it didn't really stick with me - and as everyone knows, these things are subjective.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:36 am Reply with quote
Space dandy also was not that big on the west, just the usa because of adult swim timing and stuff, but it is smaller, than ,let's say , death note. just ask someone from latin america or europe, unless of course latin america and europe don't count as the west.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:42 am Reply with quote
kazenoyume wrote:
leongsh wrote:
As much as Cowboy Bebop is lauded in the Western anime fandom, it is a dud in Japan anime consideration.

A little surprised people are still saying this, in 2019. I thought it was a long debunked rumor. Bebop was very popular in Japan. It even got a Japan exclusive cafe event last year to celebrate its twentieth anniversary. It's actually the third biggest selling pre-2000 anime, surpassed only by Gundam (original), and of course, Evangelion.

It is not as massively popular in the west, as its probably the most acclaimed anime of all time here, but it's definitely big.

Agreed completely. I think people claiming "Bebop was a dud in Japan" really mean what you wrote in your last sentence, and ought to be saying that it wasn't as big a hit there as it was in the US.

Personally I don't think Cowboy Bebop was anything special, it came across like just one of any number of good but not exceptional space-themed action shows. I've got nothing against the show or its fans but it just didn't do anything for me. I was honestly confused as to why it is as popular in the West as it is until Justin's excellent Answerman article made it all clear.

In my opinion, Macross Plus and Samurai Champloo are Watanabe's best works. (I also think Yoko Kanno did much better work on the former's soundtrack than on Bebop as well)
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:57 am Reply with quote
I love Shinichiro Watanabe's appeal to an international audience, the way he blends things together to be accessible to a myriad of people and sensibilities. More than that, there's always a great balance of style and substance, with plenty of both. What could have been straightforward action-scifi-whatever shows have more complexities than most are allowed. He's one of my favorite anime directors.

My list:

1. Cowboy Bebop
2. Macross Plus
3. Carole & Tuesday
4. Samurai Champloo
5. His Animatrix shorts (Kid's Story and A Detective's Story)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:34 pm Reply with quote
I hate to admit it, but I always forget that Watanabe was involved in Macross Plus! I always think that Kawamori was the sole director of it.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
I hate to admit it, but I always forget that Watanabe was involved in Macross Plus! I always think that Kawamori was the sole director of it.

It seems to me that all the best parts of Macross Plus are Watanabe’s usual touches.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3