• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - The Top 5 Shinichiro Watanabe Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lizuka

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Being completely honest the work from him I like the most is far and away Kids on the Slope.

Really never at all understood the appeal of Cowboy Bebop.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:33 am Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
I hate to admit it, but I always forget that Watanabe was involved in Macross Plus! I always think that Kawamori was the sole director of it.
It actually seems to be the reverse of Carol & Tuesday and Space Dandy, where Watanabe was chief director and someone else was the regular director. On the same subject, Yoko Kanno composed the music and Keiko Nobumoto wrote the screenplay for macross Plus, so in some ways it was like a rough prototype for Cowboy bebop.
Northlander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:34 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Carole & Tuesday doesn't hold a candle to Sakamichi no Apollon. There's no scene in C&T that comes even close to this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jRHJntLYMh0

I knew it! Before I even clicked, I could tell which scene that was.
AholePony

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Carole and Tuesday are utterly forgettable main characters, they have "personality" I guess but near zero depth. I'm enjoying the series but I assure you no one will be talking about it 5 years from now like Sakamichi is getting mentioned here, especially since it's in Netflix hell.

When a half finished show is #2 on your list.... Either the list is severely flawed or the subject of the list is a hack. I'm not a big Watanabe fan but I think he's done more than 1 show better than C&T.
Shwiggie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:29 pm Reply with quote
For as long as I have loved Macross Plus and ranked it as one of my favorite anime I had no idea Not-Nabeshin was involved in it. Cool.
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:50 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
Space dandy also was not that big on the west, just the usa because of adult swim timing and stuff, but it is smaller, than ,let's say , death note. just ask someone from latin america or europe, unless of course latin america and europe don't count as the west.

In the Anglosphere, many Americans consider their country as "The West", period. They're lucky if they consider Canada or even the U.K. as part of the western world.

But I agree with Space Dandy: The show is more popular in the States than outside of it, partly because the Japanese creators though the Americans would love this kind of show. We should thank (or blame) the East Asian "shigata nai" culture for that.
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:31 am Reply with quote
luisedgarf wrote:

But I agree with Space Dandy: The show is more popular in the States than outside of it, partly because the Japanese creators though the Americans would love this kind of show. We should thank (or blame) the East Asian "shigata nai" culture for that.

Shinichiro Watanabe has stated Urusei Yatsura and Bakabon Tensai as the two biggest inspirations for Space Dandy, neither of which were that big in the U.S..
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:17 am Reply with quote
I had no idea that what I saw on the old SciFi channel was, in fact, a film compilation! Shocked
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3