• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion Trilogy Blu-ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fluwm

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:25 pm Reply with quote
It's more that they made it deliberately ambiguous, and then had to come back and correct that certain segment of the fan base who refused (and as evidenced by this thread, still refuses) to notice the ambiguity.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:29 pm Reply with quote
I mean, just because something is ambiguous doesn’t mean you can’t come to your own conclusion about that ambiguity. If these two thought the fandom was just gonna be like “Yup, let’s all let this hang unresolved and never come to a consensus about it”, then they’re even more short-sighted than I thought they were. You can’t have it both ways: to want audiences to see the ambiguity but NOT come to a consensus, and then claim on the other hand that you wanted people to come to their own conclusion all along, just not THAT one.
UltimateEye

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:15 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
I mean, just because something is ambiguous doesn’t mean you can’t come to your own conclusion about that ambiguity.

This is exactly how I feel about the plethora of endings and divergences concerning Evangelion. Make like Shinji and interpret your own version of the world with the framework you're given. That's the beauty of creating and consuming works of fiction.
jroa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:05 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
I mean, just because something is ambiguous doesn’t mean you can’t come to your own conclusion about that ambiguity. If these two thought the fandom was just gonna be like “Yup, let’s all let this hang unresolved and never come to a consensus about it”, then they’re even more short-sighted than I thought they were. You can’t have it both ways: to want audiences to see the ambiguity but NOT come to a consensus, and then claim on the other hand that you wanted people to come to their own conclusion all along, just not THAT one.

I don't think they're saying the audience can't interpret things in different ways, because that was already the whole point of creating the ambiguity in the first place.

It's more about the practical realities of what happens when the creator and the company finally decided to make a sequel to an ambiguous ending...and now had to consider whether the prevailing view among the fandom is compatible with this decision (at least within Japan, to be clear, because I think the international angle would be different...as a lot of foreign fans believed that Lelouch had survived).

Therefore, I would say their concern was far more pragmatic in nature. The prospect of making any continuation to Code Geass implied giving a direct or indirect nod of legitimacy to one of the possible outcomes. For that purpose, they can't leave the issue entirely alone anymore and thus there was a reasonable need for clarification.

Mind you, they have ended up making the new Code Geass movie into a separate continuity from the TV series. Strictly speaking, it doesn't eliminate the ambiguity from the ending. Essentially, it creates a parallel path where things can move forward.
JRPictures

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:57 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Zenithe wrote:
Re;surrection has already been dubbed for about 4 months now. All major voice actors have reprised their roles and only a secondary character or two has been replaced.
Yep sorry you are right, and I did even see the first press release on the cast. It's just that I had heard before that a lot of the cast had disappeared or retired and since I had not seen the full cast and had low hopes on VAs like Mary Elizabeth McGlynn returning. Though you would need to find a replacement for Amy Kincaid if you had these films dubbed.

Amy Kincaid was brought back as Shirley for Re;surrection though so hypothetically speaking, they could've still gotten her back for the film trilogy's dub.
RegSuzaku

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:15 am Reply with quote
Obsessive, know-it-by-heart fan of the original here.

These movies take the story closer and deeper into the themes of the original, while that other thing goes the opposite way and makes it a hollow shell. Which, I think, shows how much they really did not want to make the new thing.

Someone should have a convention or something and label a screening room as showing Re;Surrection, but then actually show Miracle Birthday instead. Just to show people the truth.

If you haven't seen Miracle Birthday... look it up.
UltimateEye

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:48 pm Reply with quote
I disagree with your view on the worth of Re;surrection, #884745, but I am pleased to see someone else who supports the position that the recap films are largely better than the series. I stand by my previous post when I say that the original Code Geass had way too much filler in the form of Ashford Academy antics.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:58 pm Reply with quote
UltimateEye wrote:
In a certain sense, I feel that the compilation film trilogy of Geass is superior to the TV series, despite its sore loss of an English dub. I have heard several viewers bemoan the loss of focus on the school sequences, but I personally feel that these were largely unnecessary and out of step with the rest of the plot. One person I watched the show with found the comic relief and slice-of-life segments at Ashford to be his least favorite parts of Geass. I mostly have to agree; they detract from the big ideas and political commentary of the main narrative. Sometimes the school days portions even felt ridiculously cliched and childish. Geass is ham and cheese par excellence when it comes to Zero and the Black Knights vs. Britannia or Britannia vs. EU vs. Chinese Federation, but it's a very unwelcome kind of cheese when it involves Ashford Academy. Perhaps all the cat festival garbage and so on is meant to highlight the decadence of Britannian culture, but goes on far too long in the TV series, and reaches an absolute nadir in the second season.

Personally I found the school antics episodes to be one of my favorite parts of the series, especially with how the creative staff kept one-upping themselves in how ridiculous they became. (Milly even hangs a lampshade on it at one point in the dub: "Sometimes life just has these little filler moments!") Then again I'm of the firm opinion that Geass is a series that works far better if you don't take it too seriously and just enjoy the roller-coaster ride, especially when it comes to the batshit crazy second half of R2. Just about everything in the series is loud and over-the-top, and having an equestrian club gallop crazily around school grounds or a giant mecha attempt to make a huge pizza just fit right into the nonsense.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2