• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Is Fire Force Worth Watching?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:53 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
I'm all for giving series time to find their footing, but when we're nearly at the end of its first cour and people are saying "just hold on, it gets good I swear".

Kinda like Welcome To The Ballroom....except this hasn't hit multiple pages yet Razz

Banjo Main wrote:
I mean all of their grievances were just nitpicking honestly. Saying the show is misogynistic is honestly just ignorant as well. Sure the fan service with literally only ONE character is a bit ham-fisted,

Isn't there a section in the article that features one of those characters and another with their clothes ripped apart?
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:11 pm Reply with quote
I read 100 chapters of this before dropping it a couple of years ago.

When the Anime was announced, I had no idea of why it got such a big animation budget being so mediocre and knew that a lot of people would feel disillusioned after the first chapters.
Reinheit Hezen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Gotta say, the moment i saw the main character touching that neko girl's breasts and ass out of nowhere, I knew the show wasn't worth to watch at all.

Last edited by Reinheit Hezen on Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:34 pm Reply with quote
No, Fire Force is not worth watching. It had a promising start, but it has become too boring and dull. The expectation of lewd fanservice was the only thing that caught my attention, but I am dropping it; I don't need two cours of disappointment.
Lenks

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9 is where I dropped it. Completely disgusted by the serious fight that was, or should, have been happening, just to have it upended by the creator's decision to turn it into a fanservice exploit.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:02 am Reply with quote
Banjo Main wrote:
I mean all of their grievances were just nitpicking honestly. Saying the show is misogynistic is honestly just ignorant as well. Sure the fan service with literally only ONE character is a bit ham-fisted, but it could easily be taken as a satire on literally every other shonen anime that does stuff like this. Having a couple of women have a troubled backstory SO FAR (only 9 episodes in) does not automatically make the the show misogynistic or create the endpoint that the female characters have no dignity in the slightest. I mean Shinra has the most troubled backstory by far out of the characters that have been shown so far in my eyes.

That just means the show is going to be very popular, get more seasons, and the prudish people complaining about it will be eating crow if past examples of this exact same situation are anything to go by Laughing
geepee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:50 am Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:
Banjo Main wrote:
I mean all of their grievances were just nitpicking honestly. Saying the show is misogynistic is honestly just ignorant as well. Sure the fan service with literally only ONE character is a bit ham-fisted, but it could easily be taken as a satire on literally every other shonen anime that does stuff like this. Having a couple of women have a troubled backstory SO FAR (only 9 episodes in) does not automatically make the the show misogynistic or create the endpoint that the female characters have no dignity in the slightest. I mean Shinra has the most troubled backstory by far out of the characters that have been shown so far in my eyes.

That just means the show is going to be very popular, get more seasons, and the prudish people complaining about it will be eating crow if past examples of this exact same situation are anything to go by Laughing

Which is part of the fun,heheheh
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:18 am Reply with quote
My main issue is simply that it's kinda boring for me. Overall I enjoy watching it, but sometimes it's a chore. My other issue is with the translation. This isn't the only weird localization but it's the one that comes up almost every episode and it takes me out of the show completely with how wrong it is. "Great Flame of Fire" is just plain wrong. The words they say are "Eien no Honou" which is almost literally "Eternal Flame". I can't see any reason for them to have changed it, and "Flame of Fire" is pretty redundant to begin with. Most definitions imply that a flame comes from fire. It's just bizarre that they would localize it as a completely different meaning. Eternal Flame makes so much more sense in the context of the story as well. [/list]
Alexis.Anagram

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:32 am Reply with quote
I knew this show wasn't for me when I heard about the Lucky Lecher Lure bit. It's a shame, too: it had a neat hook to it and I like Shinra's character design with the "shark grin" and sanpaku eyes (although, isn't that the exact same look this mangaka gave the MC in Soul Eater?). IDK, I swoon for it.

DavetheUsher wrote:

Actually nobody is going to be the least bit disarmed by a shonen show with sexist leanings accruing enough popular merit among its target demographic to sustain itself indefinitely. That would be the opposite of shocking and unexpected.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:24 am Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:
Banjo Main wrote:

You telling me that a generic shonen with eye-rolling fanserice might end up being popular? No way. *cough Fairy Tail*
Generations

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:56 am Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:

...People will be eating crow because they stopped watching something that they clearly thought was bad and written poorly but was something that will still gain an audience because of shallow mass market appeal?

You're right. That has never happened before. This is clearly the new series that will show everyone how capitalism works.
pikkuhukka

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:22 am Reply with quote
cant these things have a single YES or NO

i dont want to read bunch of trite just to sloooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwly get an answer
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:28 am Reply with quote
geepee wrote:
DavetheUsher wrote:

Which is part of the fun,heheheh

Be careful not to cut yourselves on that edge, kids Laughing

I've always found it curious how childishly defensive people can get when someone says they dislike their favorite anime tiddies. Though I guess it's a kind of childishness that matches the demographic this kind of fanservice is targetting. There didn't even seem to be a lot of conversation around the show until these problems started growing too big to ignore, only then did this army of fanservice defenders start cropping up

I already dumped my opinion on everything I thought was wrong with this arc -and increasingly, the show as a whole- over on the episode review thread, so i won't repeat it here, but something I've been wondering is what even is the practical functionality of Tamaki's fire cat ears? Obviously she's designed like that primarily for the sake of fanservice, but a half decent writer would at least try to come up with a justification for having them there, so is this something that's gonna come up later at some point?
Hal14

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:34 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
but something I've been wondering is what even is the practical functionality of Tamaki's fire cat ears? Obviously she's designed like that primarily for the sake of fanservice, but a half decent writer would at least try to come up with a justification for having them there, so is this something that's gonna come up later at some point?

It's an aesthetic choice like a tattoo, scar, horns, etc. . An aesthetic doesn't have to have a 'practical functionality'. At best, it should just not be a detriment.
Generations

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:39 am Reply with quote
pikkuhukka wrote:
cant these things have a single YES or NO

i dont want to read bunch of trite just to sloooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwly get an answer

Because that answer is left up to the reader. Clearly, as many of these other posts have already made evident, it's a split of tastes. However, if what contents were discussed appeals to you, then the answer for you will be 'yes'. If not, obviously it will be 'no'.

Asking for a straight up 'yes' or 'no' is the same as skipping a video review all the way to the end and basing your entire opinion on the 'out of 10' score and nothing else.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6