• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Is Fire Force Worth Watching?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:51 am Reply with quote
bleachj0j wrote:

You telling me that a generic shonen with eye-rolling fanserice might end up being popular? No way. *cough Fairy Tail*

Popular with a massive hatedom.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:26 am Reply with quote
The Mineta line killed me. I am dead.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:23 am Reply with quote
The situation with Fire Force reminds me a bit of Darling in the FranXX -- startlingly good openings, consistently beautiful, dynamic visuals, but execution unfortunately marred deeply by bizarre, misplaced choices that undermined most of what the show seemed to be going for thematically / in emotional resonance. (Although, FranXX integrated its fan-service more carefully; its missteps were of a different sort.)
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:59 am Reply with quote
Banjo Main wrote:
I mean all of their grievances were just nitpicking honestly.

They stated that the plot is both rambling and rushed, never settling on any of the interesting concepts or world building that it brushes past, while the characters are either background, one-note comedic, cartoonishly crazy, or in the case of the females, mostly exist to be sexually or verbally humiliated. Those aren't nitpicks. If the plot is incoherent mush and the characterisation is infantile and mean-spirited, what else is left? I mean the production is largely stellar and some of the designs are nice, but if that was all I wanted from an anime I'd just watch Redline for the tenth+ time and have myself a far better time than enduring whatever Fire Force vomits out.

I held out until the most recent episode, hoping it would eventually settle on something, anything remotely interesting, only to be met with by weekly disappointment. Plus, even if the 'it gets better I swear!' promises materialize in later arcs, it likely still woudn't remove many the core issues I have with the show; chief among them being that I haven't seen a shounen series with as much casual disrespect for its cast since Bakuman (granted, I haven't seen some of the more infamous properties like Fairy Tail & Highschool DxD). I'm all for a shounen series to remind me of my youth, but being a hyperactive, unconsciously misogynist twelve year old edgelord is a part of my life I'd rather put behind me.

Last edited by fathomlessblue on Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
theNightster

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
and then fall in love with Shinra

pretty sure spoiler[Tamaki has an interest in someone else later in the series and only gained respect for Shinra not romantic feelings]
Nodz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Seven Deadly Sins didn't get that much complaints about fanservice when Meliodas is constantly harassing Elizabeth. He's litterally touching her breasts and hips on purpose.
poisondusk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Nodz wrote:
Seven Deadly Sins didn't get that much complaints about fanservice when Meliodas is constantly harassing Elizabeth. He's litterally touching her breasts and hips on purpose.

Netflix licenses tend to get less attention because they dump the whole thing up months after the original airing, so people don't have the chance to get invested by watching it weekly when it first comes out. Seven Deadly Sins also didn't spend time wowing the audiences with cool fight scenes and intriguing lore first - it got right into the groping in the first episode, allowing those of us who didn't like it to drop it right away.
Kuroi Ren

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:20 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
Kuroi Ren wrote:

Exactly. If you judge any of the major shonens by the first 9 episodes, none of them would be at the top. Especially since this isn't bad. It's just still coming along

Eh, I can think of plenty of long-running titles that were plenty entertaining and engaging even in just their first few episodes/chapters. Just because a series is revving its engine doesn't mean its early arcs are inherently underwhelming. I'm all for giving series time to find their footing, but when we're nearly at the end of its first cour and people are saying "just hold on, it gets good I swear" I think it's fair to say the issue lies with the show, not the viewers' patience level.

It's one of the top series so far so I don't think it's "underwhelming" except for some. Also, "none of them" was a bit of a stretch but most aren't. For example, Reborn was one of my best anime of all time but the first 20 episodes were just mostly Slife of life/comedy. But then, for the next 180 episodes, it was SOLID!
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Nodz wrote:

It did in some quarters, it was just that the conversation was far more muted with that show as it was one of Netflix's first anime acquisitions, and thus didn't see a weekly simulcast release. It all but killed discussion about the show, either from news sites or social media platforms, as you would have to pirate the show, which outside of a few core communities, most wouldn't do (or at least openly admit to, given that basically everything was licensed by CR at the time). By the time it finally appeared most anime fans were too busy focused on the then-current season's content. I suspect it was one of those shows that quietly built up a following, but like, say Fairy Tail, the fandom was pretty isolated from the rest of the anisphere, and were far tolerant of it's various tropes..

I only watched one-episode & Meliodas was both obnoxious and slimy enough to get me to stop watching, so you've got one anecdotal example at least. Plus it ultimately doesn't help a discussion to use comparisons to other titles as a get-out-of-jail card to excuse Fire Force's issues. It may not exist in a vacuum but in most regards the show speaks for itself.

Last edited by fathomlessblue on Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kuroi Ren

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Banjo Main wrote:
I mean all of their grievances were just nitpicking honestly. Saying the show is misogynistic is honestly just ignorant as well. Sure the fan service with literally only ONE character is a bit ham-fisted, but it could easily be taken as a satire on literally every other shonen anime that does stuff like this. Having a couple of women have a troubled backstory SO FAR (only 9 episodes in) does not automatically make the the show misogynistic or create the endpoint that the female characters have no dignity in the slightest. I mean Shinra has the most troubled backstory by far out of the characters that have been shown so far in my eyes.

Just because a character is used for gags, doesn't mean they cant have serious character development, IE Tamki, or Arthur. Sure those characters are there for mostly gags when I think the show is witty enough as is, but that doesn't discount a serious plotline or meaningful character development from said characters.

The plot was never about fighting infernals(as a user previously stated). Even though this is a large part of the entertainment of the show, there is an underlying plot that has been established during the first 30 seconds of the anime being: There are people being turned into infernals, I need to find out why. Literally every single sub plot for the show has supported this wether it be Shinra, Tamaki or even Hibana's sub plot.

Well said
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:34 pm Reply with quote
It should be noted that episode six literally pulls an Index by having the lead use the power of self-righteousness to punch a nun into submission. As unintentionally ridiculous as I found that scene in the moment, I think it sets a pretty reasonable line over whether this is the type of show you can respect or draw meaning from.
asneakysnake

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:38 pm Reply with quote
I think tamaki’s fanservice is supposed to be so dumb and so over the top it can only be seen as commentary on shonen fanservice as a whole. Whether that makes it more palatable or not is up to the individual viewer. Shinra’s embarrassed shark-grin when this occurs is pretty funny imo since he's not at all into it.
steelmirror

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:38 pm Reply with quote
This show is definitely Not For Me, and the article hits my complaints pretty much exactly on the head. Ridiculously fast pacing, lack of build-up for what are supposed to be big payoffs, paper-thin characters floating around in an underdeveloped (but could be so interesting!) world, and of course the eye-rolling fanservice.

My only disagreement with Nick here is that Arthur is, in fact terrible. Smile

I feel like this show would be so much better if it were just the adventures of Company 8 before Shinra and Arthur joined.

I'm looking forward to watching all the gorgeous action animation highlights on youtube.
Banjo Main

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:53 pm Reply with quote
asneakysnake wrote:
I think tamaki’s fanservice is supposed to be so dumb and so over the top it can only be seen as commentary on shonen fanservice as a whole. Whether that makes it more palatable or not is up to the individual viewer. Shinra’s embarrassed shark-grin when this occurs is pretty funny imo since he's not at all into it.

This. People just watch the show and say "fanservice bad". You can obviously tell when they are having overblown fanservice scenes (I.E. Tamaki) for the sake of satire, and when they are going for straight fanservice (I.E. Girls talking in a shower for sake of talking in a shower).
cheshire1501

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:10 pm Reply with quote
If you are laughing at people who are having a bad time over things that they shouldn’t be going through or are clearly not enjoying it because is making them embarrassed over being sexually exploited, it is not satire, it is bullying
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6