• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Is Fire Force Worth Watching?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kuroi Ren

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:13 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
geepee wrote:
DavetheUsher wrote:

That just means the show is going to be very popular, get more seasons, and the prudish people complaining about it will be eating crow if past examples of this exact same situation are anything to go by Laughing

Which is part of the fun,heheheh

Be careful not to cut yourselves on that edge, kids Laughing

I've always found it curious how childishly defensive people can get when someone says they dislike their favorite anime tiddies. Though I guess it's a kind of childishness that matches the demographic this kind of fanservice is targetting. There didn't even seem to be a lot of conversation around the show until these problems started growing too big to ignore, only then did this army of fanservice defenders start cropping up

I already dumped my opinion on everything I thought was wrong with this arc -and increasingly, the show as a whole- over on the episode review thread, so i won't repeat it here, but something I've been wondering is what even is the practical functionality of Tamaki's fire cat ears? Obviously she's designed like that primarily for the sake of fanservice, but a half decent writer would at least try to come up with a justification for having them there, so is this something that's gonna come up later at some point?

TBH, you seemed to be the most defensive one here. Also, many anime characters have traits like ears or something trivial but different. Like Shinra's smile. It had an excuse but not a good one. It's just part of his character and I don't see why that's a point of argument? Plus, most people like the animation and characters. The fanservice happens but it's momentarily and then gets back to the main fight. It's annoying but not unbearable

HAL14 wrote:
CrowLia wrote:
but something I've been wondering is what even is the practical functionality of Tamaki's fire cat ears? Obviously she's designed like that primarily for the sake of fanservice, but a half decent writer would at least try to come up with a justification for having them there, so is this something that's gonna come up later at some point?

It's an aesthetic choice like a tattoo, scar, horns, etc. . An aesthetic doesn't have to have a 'practical functionality'. At best, it should just not be a detriment.

Exactly

fathomlessblue wrote:
It should be noted that episode six literally pulls an Index by having the lead use the power of self-righteousness to punch a nun into submission. As unintentionally ridiculous as I found that scene in the moment, I think it sets a pretty reasonable line over whether this is the type of show you can respect or draw meaning from.

You just described every Shounen ever (power of friendship, love, etc.) and Shinra is OP anyway so it's not like he only won because of his self-righteous attitude
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Banjo Main wrote:
asneakysnake wrote:
I think tamaki’s fanservice is supposed to be so dumb and so over the top it can only be seen as commentary on shonen fanservice as a whole. Whether that makes it more palatable or not is up to the individual viewer. Shinra’s embarrassed shark-grin when this occurs is pretty funny imo since he's not at all into it.

This. People just watch the show and say "fanservice bad". You can obviously tell when they are having overblown fanservice scenes (I.E. Tamaki) for the sake of satire, and when they are going for straight fanservice (I.E. Girls talking in a shower for sake of talking in a shower).

You've mentioned a couple times that Tamaki's lucky letcher thing is "satire" so could you explain? If it's satire of other contrived fanservice, what precisely about that is it trying to criticize? If it's trying to comment on the dehumanizing aspect of it, that seems at odds with all the shower scenes or Hibana feeling up Iris or the other shots of cleavage or the main girls in their underwear. If it's trying to be so over the top it can't be enjoyed sincerely for titillation, it's definitely not trying hard enough in an anime landscape with Food Wars and Fairy Tail

From my perspective it just comes off as a more self aware, 4th wall breaking version of the same boob and butt pratfalls you'd find in Yuuna & the Haunted Hot springs or We Never Learn. Which isn't really satire because, as the shirt says

meiam

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:28 pm Reply with quote
asneakysnake wrote:
I think tamaki’s fanservice is supposed to be so dumb and so over the top it can only be seen as commentary on shonen fanservice as a whole. Whether that makes it more palatable or not is up to the individual viewer. Shinra’s embarrassed shark-grin when this occurs is pretty funny imo since he's not at all into it.

Yeah that's not how commentary works... like at all. Every shonen protag ever act embarrass when fan service happen around them.

That's like stealing something and when your caught claiming that it was a commentary on crime.

The fan service is just that, fan service. It doesn't feed into the story in anyway nor does the show comment on it (it's a show about fire magic, what part of that comment on fan service?).
Hal14

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:45 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

That's like stealing something and when your caught claiming that it was a commentary on crime.

Laughing I swear i've read a news article like this recently. The person claimed they broke the law to test it.

It's sad, but not surprising, to see people claim the fanservice is 'satire' or 'social commentary'. I'm reminded of a certain youtube channel that is satire but the creators have never called it such because a good joke is one you don't have to explain. Otherwise your no different from the people who say "It's just a prank bro" after doing something dumb and malicious
asneakysnake

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:01 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
Banjo Main wrote:
asneakysnake wrote:

This. People just watch the show and say "fanservice bad". You can obviously tell when they are having overblown fanservice scenes (I.E. Tamaki) for the sake of satire, and when they are going for straight fanservice (I.E. Girls talking in a shower for sake of talking in a shower).

You've mentioned a couple times that Tamaki's lucky letcher thing is "satire" so could you explain? If it's satire of other contrived fanservice, what precisely about that is it trying to criticize? If it's trying to comment on the dehumanizing aspect of it, that seems at odds with all the shower scenes or Hibana feeling up Iris or the other shots of cleavage or the main girls in their underwear. If it's trying to be so over the top it can't be enjoyed sincerely for titillation, it's definitely not trying hard enough in an anime landscape with Food Wars and Fairy Tail

From my perspective it just comes off as a more self aware, 4th wall breaking version of the same boob and butt pratfalls you'd find in Yuuna & the Haunted Hot springs or We Never Learn. Which isn't really satire because, as the shirt says

I agree Fire Force is having it’s cake and eating it too by sexualizing all the girls instead of just Tamaki.
Kuroi Ren

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:04 pm Reply with quote
fathomlessblue wrote:
Banjo Main wrote:
I mean all of their grievances were just nitpicking honestly.

They stated that the plot is both rambling and rushed, never settling on any of the interesting concepts or world building that it brushes past, while the characters are either background, one-note comedic, cartoonishly crazy, or in the case of the females, mostly exist to be sexually or verbally humiliated. Those aren't nitpicks. If the plot is incoherent mush and the characterisation is infantile and mean-spirited, what else is left? I mean the production is largely stellar and some of the designs are nice, but if that was all I wanted from an anime I'd just watch Redline for the tenth+ time and have myself a far better time than enduring whatever Fire Force vomits out.

I held out until the most recent episode, hoping it would eventually settle on something, anything remotely interesting, only to be met with by weekly disappointment. Plus, even if the 'it gets better I swear!' promises materialize in later arcs, it likely still woudn't remove many the core issues I have with the show; chief among them being that I haven't seen a shounen series with as much casual disrespect for its cast since Bakuman (granted, I haven't seen some of the more infamous properties like Fairy Tail & Highschool DxD). I'm all for a shounen series to remind me of my youth, but being a hyperactive, unconsciously misogynist twelve year old edgelord is a part of my life I'd rather put behind me.

I mainly disagree. I mean, the fanservice is stupid/annoying but it seems to be designed as comedy anyway. The bath scene was an example of actual Fanservice. The rest seems to be comedic like many moments in Shounen (and non-shounen) anime. And it appeals to a young teenager audience so you can't judge it based on that

I personally like the characters, and they slowly show each of their backstory starting with Shinra, the sister, etc... They're fun and enjoyable to watch. Arthur's stupidity is what makes him unique. The captain's weight training. The vice captain's brutality (it's hilarious to see him shoot his juniors) Tamaki is not very likeable but I'll just ignore her stupid fanservice device and even she's had her moments with Rekka's betrayal and her suspension. I'd like to see where it goes. I mean, what do people expect when they say they want "better" characters?. 2 girls so far have had their clothes torn and it wasn't even sexual. Maki is portrayed as a powerful woman who beat 2 third-gens, so I don't see the sexually abuse you mentioned.

Most of all, the story isn't rushed. Calling it incoherent even thought it's quite straightforward is exaggerated. Barely anything has happened over 9 whole episodes and that's considering it's only 24 episodes. In fact, the episodes make me feel like I want more and the new introduction of the mysterious cult/adolla burst as well as the mystery of the traitors within the fire force make it interesting. The world building is still happening and besides, infernals are very one dimensional. Fighting them would quickly become dull in comparison to fighting mysterious fire fighters with dubious motives. May I ask what concepts you are referring to? It seems to me like it's sticking to what it should.

lossthief wrote:
Banjo Main wrote:
asneakysnake wrote:

He probably meant "comedic" but I can see what he means. Fanservice or not, you can't judge a SHOUNEN anime because of fanservice. It's just part of the package and us Seinen people should enjoy the rest or watch something else.

I am enjoying the fight scenes, characters, unique setting and story. Those seem more important than "marketing" aimed at teens
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Kuroi Ren wrote:

He probably meant "comedic" but I can see what he means. Fanservice or not, you can't judge a SHOUNEN anime because of fanservice. It's just part of the package and us Seinen people should enjoy the rest or watch something else.

I mean, just off the top of my head i can think of several shonen titles with no real fanservice hooks - Promised Neverland, Demon Slayer, World Trigger, Haikyu - so it feels pretty myopic to insist Fire Force's cheesecake is something everyone should just expect with a shonen anime. And even then, there are different methods and degrees of delivering cheesecake in a series that don't distract from otherwise serious moments, or feel unusually meanspirited the way FF's often does.
meruru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Rather than blaming the audience (calling them prudes, etc.), maybe blame the work, in that it's very obviously made for a very specific type of person.

One thing I personally find very frustrating about the manga/anime industry is that shoujo and josei are almost exclusively about romance. Every once in a while there's a major one about something in addition to romance, like fantasy/romance, sports/romance, scifi/romance, but still, the vast majority are romance, and hardly any have no romance at all. If you want other stories, really you have to read/watch shounen and seinen, which assume a male audience.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Kuroi Ren wrote:
I mean, the fanservice is stupid/annoying but it seems to be designed as comedy anyway.

That's kinda like saying "yeah, that zombie looks really gross, but it's designed as horror anyway." Like... you're not wrong, but what's your point? It's still a zombie, it's still fanservice. Sexual content in anime, and most other things, is almost always played for comedy to keep it from crossing the line into hentai, and because we all have a general awareness that it's a bit silly.

But, like I said earlier, that isn't even the main problem here, and this other sentence... oof:

Kuroi Ren wrote:
I mean, what do people expect when they say they want "better" characters?

That question kinda says it all, though probably not the way you think it does. I can't possibly condense the entire discourse about answering that question into one comment, but maybe look at some opinions from women who watch anime about what makes a good character; if you can stomach the F-word, try anime feminist.

Generally, "better" female characters means ones that aren't treated in ways that, if they were male, would probably offend you. That's an oversimplification, of course, but imagine a show with a female main character, who several bishonen coworkers have the hots for; the guys keep getting their clothes ripped off, and one of them is cursed with constant sexual embarassment. Probably not your cup of tea, right? And, yeah, the show is aimed at boys, but it's entirely possible to make a show that appeals to boys without giving them weird ideas about what girls should be like. See lossthief's post for examples.

If you'd still rather watch fanservicey action anime, that's fine, you're not a bad person for doing so, and I doubt there will be a shortage of them anytime soon. But that you had to ask that question shows you have a lot to learn about where other people's preferences come from.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:22 pm Reply with quote
For me, I think the problems with Tamaki's character are less about her being offensive (though that's certainly a reasonable reaction), but rather that her 'lucky lechery':

(A) screams through the fourth wall at me that this is not even remotely a plausible in-universe mechanic, & is obviously just the director pandering clumsily in my general direction. It forcefully ejects me from any earned sense of verisimilitude every time Tamaki's on-screen

(B) is emphasized precisely when it will do the most damage to the emotional tone a scene had been working to develop (as with her getting beaten mercilessly by Rekka until Shinra showed up; an imperfect but somewhat moving scene... at least until Tamaki's clothing is burned away in a pattern clearly designed to titillate)

It also doesn't help that she's (C) a pretty thin outline of a character, of course. But with the exception of Shinra we haven't really gotten much depth of motivation on any of the cast, so that's hardly unique to her -- she's, uh, lucky to have gotten 2-3 whole character traits, I guess (blindly loves Rekka / stupid lucky-lecher thing / .. is a cat girl with some attitude?).

Also, that T-shirt image lossthief posted is perfect. I had wanted to comment on the claim that Tamaki is 'satire', but just didn't have the energy to figure out how to articulate my complaint properly. That image captures the problem perfectly.

Last edited by NeverConvex on Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:48 pm; edited 4 times in total
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Kuroi Ren please try to include all your comments in one post instead of multiple posts in a row. I combined them for you this time, but it keeps the forum from getting clogged up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
theNightster

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:20 pm Reply with quote
The hate on Tamaki is pretty over blown I feel, sure the fan service regarding her is a bit out there but I respect her for accepting her punishment even if the whole thing with Rekka wasn’t her fault.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:47 pm Reply with quote
>57 replies

Either the article was really that bad, or the show is more contentious than I first thought.
Kuzu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
>57 replies

Either the article was really that bad, or the show is more contentious than I first thought.

You have no idea...

But yea...the show is pretty to look at alright, but I can't really disagree with the stated faults. Its really over the top with the tits and asses. That's not really unusual with Shonen, but usually they can make up for it with quality writing somewhere. Fire Force's writing just barely crosses the threshold of passable, so all you're left with is the fanservice.

Females being treated like eye candy isn't new in Anime, but uh...if there's no character there, it makes them being nothing but eye candy really noticeable, and I'm pretty sure people want more out of a character than to be sexually and emotionally exploited for the sake of a gag or plot development.

I'm still gonna follow this series, because I still like its aesthetic and fights are too good and I've seen enough boobs and asses in Anime to stop caring. Yes, I am easy to please and I don't really care. However, I will acknowledge the show is heavily flawed at worse and just hugely generic and uninspired at best which might explain why it's been under the radar for so long despite having a manga for a few years already.
StarfighterPegasus

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:06 am Reply with quote
I'll watch it for the eechi fanservice. If I wanted something deep and compelling I could look at something else. Fanservice is a very rough area. Some people like myself really like it but also understand that its not for everyone. So thank you, I'll give it a watch just a question for those who read the manga.

Is it as fanservicey as the anime adaptation?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6