• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - The Top 5 Studio Trigger Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:23 pm Reply with quote
I'm happy that SSSS.Gridman is on the list in any capacity. I really had high hopes for the show--and high fears, as it was a property that was all but forgotten. Trigger brought their A-game for that show and made me love it in ways I never thought I would. It doesn't need a sequel, and it's not perfect--but it exists, and it has a lot of very nice things to say about friendship, and healing.

And that's what tokusatu is all about, Charlie Brown.
Crispy45

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:46 pm Reply with quote
FinalVentCard wrote:
I'm happy that SSSS.Gridman is on the list in any capacity. I really had high hopes for the show--and high fears, as it was a property that was all but forgotten. Trigger brought their A-game for that show and made me love it in ways I never thought I would. It doesn't need a sequel, and it's not perfect--but it exists, and it has a lot of very nice things to say about friendship, and healing.

Gridman is probably Trigger's most financially successful series, second only to Kill la Kill. It did pretty well, better than I ever expected it to do.
Aayuo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:15 am Reply with quote
If you have a chance - definitely go see Promare Exclamation

Seriously.

It really is like nothing you have ever seen before. I can promise you that.
Not since Satoshi Kon's "Paprika" have I been so surprised by an anime visual.

It is everything Trigger has done so far, distilled to the core.
And on top, a completely new visual style. Something you have not yet encountered.
It conveys shape through color, rather than through lines or shading. Everything is simplified to the extreme. Only when objects move, can you often gather their shape.
This extreme simplification makes integration with CG nearly flawless. And both together offer total freedom for camera movements to a level you have not yet seen in 2D anime. Which Promare uses perfectly for its epic mecha fight scenes.

And the colors look amazing.
If you have ever seen colorscripts from Pixar movies, Promare looks like such a color script come to life.

The movie came out in Japan almost 4 months ago and is -still- playing in some theaters because die-hard fans keep coming for more. This is very unusual for any anime, most typically screen in theaters 2-3 weeks only.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:45 am Reply with quote
1) Promare - Honestly KlK was more hype for me since I watched it with friends, but I gotta acknowledge the artistic prowess at work. The color work and animation is just so dynamic and incredible, and everyone in the room cheered for the big moment. You know the one.
2) Kill la Kill - GAMAGOORI GETS A SECOND FACE spoiler[RYUKO OUTGROWS SENKETSU]
3) Kiznaiver - Kacchon's despair was my despair. Noriko's smile was my smile.
4) Franxx - Things sorta fell apart around the end but it mostly looked great and 02 is bae.
5) Luluco - Cute, fun, charming, and the KlK episode split my sides.

Haven't seen LWA, Gridman was fun but ultimately didn't come together for me.
cyberdraco

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:57 am Reply with quote
I'm choosing Kill La Kill, Darling in the Franxx, and SSSS.Gridman.
Yaafm

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:15 pm Reply with quote
I guess im one of the few that never watched Kill La Kill? The premise does not sound very good at all.

"it's not for the faint of heart, but that doesn't mean you should skip it. "

yes, yes it does.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Yaafm wrote:
I guess im one of the few that never watched Kill La Kill? The premise does not sound very good at all.

Punk girl tries to break school fascism sounds like a great premise to me, but to each his own
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Yaafm wrote:

Sure, if you take just the idea of the premise it can sound pretty bad in ways, I certainly was not too into it when it was first starting, but it is the execution in Kill la Kill that is particularly of note. There is sort of complexity that defies usual conventions, where you might complain about style over substance, but somehow it makes style kind of substance.

I would really like to pick out some video on YouTube to show it is in action, otherwise it sounds like I just saying "trust me it is deep", but I am not sure if anything specific could show it. A lot of the beginning I think trains you to understand the general rules of things are malleable to any particular character that accentuates themes, that its biggest parts is how it builds off of or defies what came before.

Probably won't convince you of anything if you already decided, but reading the premise is kind of pointless compared to seeing any of it in action, so this trailer does better work of showing its style, although only really the start.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B98NY8Hfo7I&t=29s
harminia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:49 am Reply with quote
I've barely finished any Trigger shows (not because they were bad per se but because I get distracted) and tbh I forgot Trigger had even made more than 5 shows lol.........

so my shout outs go to Inferno Cop and Turning Girls.

Turning Girls was so good. I love Kaeru
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:21 am Reply with quote
Trigger recruited an awesome cast of veteran seiyuu for Kill la Kill. It's definitely worth watching in the original Japanese: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ClQ7zkHtXY

Sometimes I see discussions of Kill la Kill that seemingly miss the point of this show. Nakashima lays it all on the table in episode one which starts with a discussion of Hitler. In the trailer, you'll see Satsuki deliver her best impression of Orwell's 1984. The subtext is conformity and regimentation in Japanese life, and how they can lead to fascism.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:35 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
Trailer and what people who have seen it have said. So yes maybe my opinion on it could change after seeing it. But does it have the art style shifts or exaggerated character using lots of squash and stretch that are prevalent in their work.

Gridman I suppose to be fair had this great scene and a few others.

It’s been about a month and a half since I saw it, so I’d have watch it again to be sure (which I will later this week). Though you may have seen it by then anyhow.

Just saw it again in theaters, and I can say yes to the former and absolutely yes to the latter. I don't think anyone should worry that their integration of another animation method (or rather further integration) means they are stepping away from their style and sensibilities.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2