• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Godzilla, Alita Films Do Not Win at 45th Saturn Awards

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:55 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
(snip)
and as for Alita, I'd say it was visually ok but thematically terrible but I don't know the source material to know if that's part of the blame. Since I never heard anyone complain about it being a bad adaptation then the collusion/collision of bounty hunters, assassins and pro sports athletes must have been accurate?
Yes, it's accurate. As someone who's read the manga past the movie's end, I don't think Cameron could have adapted it any better. The original manga was episodic. To pack enough material to tell a coherent story within a two-hour movie and not stray too far from the source must have been an arduous task. It's the kind of manga that would have worked better as a weekly TV series.
partially

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:26 pm Reply with quote
FLCLGainax wrote:
Animegomaniac wrote:
(snip)
and as for Alita, I'd say it was visually ok but thematically terrible but I don't know the source material to know if that's part of the blame. Since I never heard anyone complain about it being a bad adaptation then the collusion/collision of bounty hunters, assassins and pro sports athletes must have been accurate?
Yes, it's accurate. As someone who's read the manga past the movie's end, I don't think Cameron could have adapted it any better. The original manga was episodic. To pack enough material to tell a coherent story within a two-hour movie and not stray too far from the source must have been an arduous task. It's the kind of manga that would have worked better as a weekly TV series.

To be honest I think Cameron would have been much better off adapting parts of Last Order. I enjoyed the story of the original series better, but at least Last Order doesn't suffer from the messiness of it, which makes it much better for a film.
nDroae

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:32 pm Reply with quote
King of the Monsters was the most inconsistent cinema experience I've ever had. One minute Mothra is being an insect goddess in the sky and I'm actually crying, next thing I know Millie Bobby Brown says "YOU'RE a monster!" and for the first time in my life, I laugh out loud at a serious moment in a quiet theater. And I don't feel bad about it.

I would also agree that film is simply the wrong medium for Alita. And I'd add (for Animegomaniac) that motorball was shoehorned into the movie; the movie's story adapts volumes 1 and 2, but motorball starts at volume 3. Kids are not seen playing street motorball in the manga, and the motorball bout in the film was film-original. I'd actually prefer a movie of just the manga's motorball arc over the vol. 2 romance we got, but oh well. More importantly I want something more to be made from Gunnm, west or east.

https://www.polygon.com/2019/2/13/18223318/battle-angel-alita-anime-gunnm-yukito-kishiro
Quote:
During a recent fan screening of Alita: Battle Angel, Cameron revealed that after The Shape of Water director Guillermo del Toro introduced him to the manga in the late ‘90s, Cameron flew to Tokyo to convince Kishiro to sell him rights to the series. The director read Alita’s story as one about adolescence and finding out how one fits into the world, material that his daughter could relate to. He and knew immediately that the book needed to be a film — which doomed any new anime prospects.

Yukito Kishiro sold the rights for Battle Angel to James Cameron in 1998, right after the success of Titanic. The deal included rights to all adaptations — including anime. You only have to imagine the director of the biggest movie of all time coming to your door, begging you to make a movie out of your work, to understand why Kishiro took the deal. (Cameron’s deal allows him to lift from the anime, too: Chiren, played by Jennifer Connelly in the film, and Grewcica, converted into Jackie Earle Haley’s screen character Grewishka, only exist in the OVA.)

Any regrets over the anime likely made the decision to hand the rights to Cameron easier for Kishiro. For his part, the manga author would love to make a TV anime of the series. “Yep. I’ve always wanted to,” he said in conversation with Anime News Network. animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2019-02-04/passport-to-iron-city-with-battle-angel-alita-mangaka-yukito-kishiro/.142987 That decision lays ultimately in the hands of Cameron.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:02 am Reply with quote
FLCLGainax wrote:

Agreed 100%.
I think the issue Cameron faced was that if he avoided the motorball arc then he may not have had enough material to really fill a 2-hour movie (at least not to the rapid pacing that today's audience seems to demand), but by including that arc he had the opposite problem: trying to cover too much in only 2 hours.
I'd rather the movie have simply avoided the motorball arc entirely and had a bit slower pacing, OR if he wanted to cover that arc too then the film needed to be longer, though I understand why he did what he did.

@ nDroae
Thanks for posting that blurb from Polygon.
Now I can blame James Cameron for there not being any more Gunnm anime! Twisted Evil
Aresef

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:47 am Reply with quote
While Alita was better than it had any right to be, the new Godzilla was... not great.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2