• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 22 Years 'Til Victory: Pokemon's Ash Finally Wins Big

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Krunky

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:04 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure why people seem to believe they can't continue the franchise if Satoshi gets dropped. Part of the reason why SM had the lowest ratings of the series and why the refurbishing of the anime has garnered such a mixed reception is because the staff literally have no idea what to do with it at this point and I'm pretty sure they're just bored of Satoshi considering he basically had to reset his entire character from X/Y in order to fit into SMs setting and it didn't pan out the way they wanted so much so that the movies outright ignored the SM canon. Also the backlash of from the Kalos League still lingers since you can pretty much see from the reception that nobody cares about the actual league just that he actually won since the league itself was a joke and something that was obviously forced on the writers given how lazy and out of nowhere it felt.
Firefly251

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:12 am Reply with quote
gedata wrote:
*pushes up glasses*
ACKSHUALLY
He already won the Orange Island League 20 years ago, but it doesn't count because that arc wasn't based on any existing games.

Didn't he also beat the Battle Frontier people?
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:40 am Reply with quote
Maybe we can just accept Ash has multiple wins because he’s that good of a trainer.
Seiya0890

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:
Great!
Now get Serena back so that Ash and her can hook up.

That would be the best thing they would do ( for me ) Very Happy.
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Interestingly Toriyama did originally plan for Gohan to replace Goku as the MC after the Cell Saga but ended up bringing back Goku due to fan demand.

Is that true ?? Damn them that is because of them that my Gohan was left to the side ? Anime cry
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:34 pm Reply with quote
kamen_otaku81 wrote:
And he still looks the same 22 years ago too. Are we going to talk about that?

With that pencil moustache he looks like a 32 year old trying to pass for 10.
Juno016

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:29 pm Reply with quote
The worst part about all this is that just about no one I know watches the show except my roommate and I. And literally everyone spoiled the episode for us. On my birthday. I hate spoilers with a passion. I'm kind of bitter about this. Like, no consideration for people like me? At all?

No less because I still feel like he didn't earn his way into the league. I'm not a hater of SM, but the league still felt kinda blegh. I'm not happy he won. Especilly not after that match with Hau...

Anyway, if an Akujiking screams bloody murder in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

I swear, if the shiny Akujiking next episode isn't a woman screaming into a mic, I will be very upset.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:34 pm Reply with quote
They should at least age Satoshi up a few years. Like Steven Universe! Except Satoshi already has a neck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Sheenoobuu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:31 pm Reply with quote
I just watched the episode and...it was what I expected I guess. Seemed like a repeat of the Paul fight from Sinnoh. Still can't stand Mustachio Ash. Also odd how the other guy's Pokemon lost because he got hit twice while Ash's Pokemon won after getting hit like 7 times but hey, Ash used counter on counter so it's not like we're following any in-world logic or anything.
I don't mind if Ash comes back for another season but I'd love it more if we got someone with a charming personality.
Also I'd like a new art style please.
Crispy45

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:05 am Reply with quote
Krunky wrote:
I'm not sure why people seem to believe they can't continue the franchise if Satoshi gets dropped. Part of the reason why SM had the lowest ratings of the series and why the refurbishing of the anime has garnered such a mixed reception is because the staff literally have no idea what to do with it at this point and I'm pretty sure they're just bored of Satoshi considering he basically had to reset his entire character from X/Y in order to fit into SMs setting and it didn't pan out the way they wanted so much so that the movies outright ignored the SM canon. Also the backlash of from the Kalos League still lingers since you can pretty much see from the reception that nobody cares about the actual league just that he actually won since the league itself was a joke and something that was obviously forced on the writers given how lazy and out of nowhere it felt.

SM is definitely my least favorite series, and judging by the fact the ratings are at some of the lowest in franchise history to the point the show had to be shuffled over to a new timeslot after decades of airing, in addition to anecdotal observations of mine in the Japanese fandom like how the 2ch threads for Sun and Moon are only getting a fraction of the posts the XY episode threads got makes me think it's a pretty general consensus among the fandom. Additionally, Serena outranking Lillie in the New Years fan poll of most popular heroine even after Sun and Moon had been airing for 2 years is pretty telling and a testiment to how impactful she was, I think.
megazero

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:08 am Reply with quote
The greeting of Veronica Taylor as the "younger same-age" Ash is quite amusing when she is addressing it to the new "younger" Ash.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3