• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - The Fog of War Thickens in Vinland Saga

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:40 pm Reply with quote
I really have no idea what you're talking about.

The past couple episodes have showed Canute to be incapable of command and weak. He has no sense of his duty as a future king and just wants to pray and hear sermons from his priest. How in the world is that putting Christianity in a good light? Yay, an ill-fit prince got thousands of people killed because he couldn't tackle military responsibility and hid meekly instead. Is that a positive thing? I'm so confused by your comments. There's nothing positive about Christianity that is shown in Vinland Saga thus far. If anything they look like raving lunatics because they're predicting the end of the world in 20 years.
Johan Eriksson 9003

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:34 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I really have no idea what you're talking about.

The past couple episodes have showed Canute to be incapable of command and weak. He has no sense of his duty as a future king and just wants to pray and hear sermons from his priest. How in the world is that putting Christianity in a good light? Yay, an ill-fit prince got thousands of people killed because he couldn't tackle military responsibility and hid meekly instead. Is that a positive thing? I'm so confused by your comments. There's nothing positive about Christianity that is shown in Vinland Saga thus far. If anything they look like raving lunatics because they're predicting the end of the world in 20 years.

You do know that this guy eventually turns into "Cnut the Great", right? Anyways, I can't go into all the details of how I think this show frames the Christianization of Scandinavia as a good thing without getting into spoilers.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:48 am Reply with quote
If it hasn't actually happened in the anime and you can't come up with any sort of reasonable examples within the current scope of the anime, then why would you bring it up in a discussion about the anime?
Johan Eriksson 9003

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:46 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
If it hasn't actually happened in the anime and you can't come up with any sort of reasonable examples within the current scope of the anime, then why would you bring it up in a discussion about the anime?

Because I made one comment about my feelings on the story as a whole since I have read all of it and then a bunch of people jumped on me about how wrong I was.

Besides, you hardly need outside knowledge to see that Cnut's "weakness" is a red-herring for what he will become later.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2